Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Laundry service-can I depend on finding at reasonable cost?

Feb 16th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

We are going for 2 weeks and would like to pack for 1 week and have laundry done halfway through and don't relish the idea of wasting valuable time in a laundromat. I saw one posting where the travellers were able to have laundry done for them charged by weight and it was fairly reasonable. Saw another posting where hotel offered laundry service but it was prohibitively costly. My question is: Can I expect to find a reasonable laundry service in the small town we will be in (Castellina in Chianti) or should I pack differently along with doing hand washing?
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:59 AM
ira

Hi RD,

I would ask the folks at www.slowtrav.com.

If there is a laundromat in Castellina they will know.
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM

My husband is the type that can't wear anything twice (or use a towel twice) and laundry is always an issue for him. Every trip we have made to Italy, we've hunted down laundry facilities if they were not provided in the apartment/villa. This includes Rome, Venice, Lucca, Sorrento, Bucine, etc. All were the drop-off type and they have always been difficult to find and very expensive! Besides the expense and hastle of getting the laundry done, we have run into situations where the laundry dropped off today won't be ready for three days! My advice it to plan on washing by hand and wearing everything multiple times without washing. Your life will be much easier.
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Most hotels will do laundry - but I have always found that they are very expensive - generally the cost to wash a pair of panties is almost equialent to the cost of buying another pair: $5-$6. So I take enough undies for the trip and plan on handwashing bras, pantyhose, t-shrts etc. I know it's a problem for men - their clothes are so heavy they won;t dry overnight. If you find a solution to this for them - other than the giant suitcase - I would love to hear it.
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Solution for men - I travel with coolmax underwear, T-shirts, polo shirts - the stuff is great. Wash it in the hotel sink, let it dry overnight, and it's dry the next morning.
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:26 PM

In France you can find self-serve laundramats almost anywhere. In Italy they seem few and far between, and when you can find one it is often dominated by a woman who is doing clothes by the kilo for drop-off customers, and no washers will be available. If you find one of those, that's your best deal. Just make sure it is by the kilo or by the washer, not by the piece. Another option is a hotel maid who will take it home and bring it back the next day beautifully ironed. I know what you mean about the cost by the piece from a hotel. One week of men's clothes will run a minimum of $100 -- starting with socks and undershorts at 3 to 5 euros EACH!!
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:50 PM

RDixon, I can't wait to read your trip report. Please write one.

Castellina in Chianti is barely a street-and-a-half. In fact, I believe the main road is an oblong circle with one street running through it. It's tiny. If you sneeze while driving, you might drive through the town.

I don't ever remember seeing a laundromat or a dry cleaner anywhere in Tuscany, let alone in this tiny village on a modest hill. I'd be surprised if one didn't exist somewhere but lord knows where.

E-mail your hotel and ask them. If one exists, I'm sure they'd be happy to direct you to it.
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:01 PM

There is the sort of "drop-off" laundry place you are looking for in Poggibonsi, which will be more or less on the way if you visit San Gim or Volterra or Colle di Val d'Elsa. But I think you have to come back and get it a day or two later -- it's definitely not same day service. In the long run, I think you spend less time washing out a few things in the sink.

nytraveler, travel clothing from places like Travelsmith is available for men as well as women. Loosely woven cotton shirts that don't require ironing are very comfortable in warm weather and drip dry nicely. Pants are a bit more of a problem, but again, they are available in synthetic fabrics that look and feel much like cotton but wash and dry more easily.

Cold weather presents an entirely different set of laundry problems!
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:20 PM

There is a laundry/dry cleaner in Greve in Chianti just 15 km north of Castellina on the way to Florence.
It is right off the main plaza. Also I found that socks and underwear were easy to buy at the daily markets. If you have a car it is easy to catch a markets, in a week in tuscany we caught 4 markets by chance.
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:37 PM

To Bubba2,
What is and where can you buy 'coolmax' underwear? Sounds great!
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM

You can get coolmax at www.skiviez.com. Look for the brand Champion.
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Most hotels have a basin in the room for washing your clothes. It's called a bidet, and designed for other purposes. Use the bidet instead of the sink and you can brush your teeth and wash your hands while the clothes soak. I leave my clothes in the suds for a couple of hours, rinse them, wring them, and hang them. With four sets of underwear you only have to do this every three days. And unless you're dripping spaghetti sauce and red wine on your shirt you don't need to change it every day.
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:45 PM

Someone posted an idea here a while back about doing laundry in ziplock bags. I pre-tested it and it works so well that I will never do my hand laundry, at home or on the road, without a ziplock.
Whoever posted that tip: Thank You!
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM

Yeah, mcgeezer, that might be the single best tip I ever read here.
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:25 AM

I take 2 weeks worth of clothes so I don't have to take time to do any laundry. It doesn't bother me to have a 26 or 27" suitcase and a carryon bag.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:06 AM

To buy coolmax underwear and other coolmax items, go to www.travelsmith.com