Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Laundromat in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/laundromat-in-rome-642759/)

luvitaly Aug 29th, 2006 09:09 AM

Laundromat in Rome?

Does anyone know of a laundromat centrally located in Rome? It would be agreat help to enable us to pack light. Thanks so much.

ucsun Aug 29th, 2006 09:39 AM

i don't know of any off hand...but they are easy to find most every city to be honest. old city equals no "in the home" laundry. i found them in florence and venice no problem. i even remember seeing some in rome...you should have no problem.

Statia Aug 29th, 2006 09:43 AM

If you are on Corso Vittorio Emannuelle II and facing Chiesa Nuovo, look down the calle on the left hand side of the church and there is a laundromat there. It will be on your right-hand side as you walk down the calle.

Neopolitan Aug 29th, 2006 10:02 AM

My experience in Rome has been that self service type laundromats are almost impossible to find -- or if you do manage to find one, you will find that the machines are not available because an attendant is using them all for the drop off laundry. That seems to be the best answer -- dropping off your laundry and paying by the kilo -- usually no more expensive than doing it yourself. But if you want to avoid tons of wrinkles, make sure they will fold it, not just stuff it all into a bag when finished.

LoveItaly Aug 29th, 2006 10:25 AM

One thing I have always been annoyed with is when I have had clothes drycleaned in Italy (dresses etc.) they fold the clothes and wrap them in paper rather than putting the clothes on hangers. So consequently the drycleaned clothes have wrinkles in them.

LoveItaly Aug 29th, 2006 10:29 AM

Hi luvitaly, did you know that if you click on your name next to the Fodor's Welcome at the top left of the screen you will see your other post? I mentioned this as you started a thread yesterday about this subject so thought you didn't know how to find your original thread. Have fun in Rome!

ecat Aug 29th, 2006 11:06 AM

Hi luv,

There are some in Trastevere and also by the termini. I have used the one Statia mentiones by Chiesa Nuovo.

What area you staying in - Hotel or apartment? If in a hotel, I'm sure they can direct you to one. If an apartment it would be helpful to know the general vicinity because Rome is a big city to be schlepping laundry around, especially on foot.

suec1 Aug 29th, 2006 11:27 AM

Rick Steves travel books usually have this kind of information - several years ago we tried to find a laundromat in Rome by just asking around - we never had any luck with it. We did eventually get directed to a car wash! that should tell you how good our limited italian and charades turned out!

LoveItaly Aug 29th, 2006 11:39 AM

But suec, were you able to wash your clothes at the carwash? LOL. Your comment reminded me of one time when an organization was going to host a 400 person Italian dinner. A gentleman in our small city loaned us all of his enormous pots. He kept them in a dusty basement and the pots were gross.
And they were to big to fit into anyone's kitchen sink. Someone suggested washing them in a backyard but the comment was made the outside faucets didn't have hot water.

Bingo!! A clever member of our group came up with an idea. He and I hauled all of the pots down to the local selfserve auto wash. Hot water, soap and lots of room, lol. And the looks on the faces of the other customers and those driving by was priceless!

Neopolitan Aug 29th, 2006 01:14 PM

". . .Rome is a big city to be schlepping laundry around, especially on foot. '

But doesn't everyone put their dirty laundry in their rolling suitcase and head off to the laundry in Europe? That's what we've done. I remember in Vienna even going by subway to the only self-serve laundromat we could find. We just looked like typical tourists with our rolling suitcase.

LoveItaly Aug 29th, 2006 01:23 PM

Well Neo that certainly is more elegant than the way I have done it, dirty clothes crammed into a cloth laundry bag which I slung over my shoulder!!

Neopolitan Aug 29th, 2006 02:05 PM

hmm. not the image I had -- of you in big sunglasses, wide brimmed hat, boldly rolling your LV bag filled with dirty clothes across the Piazza Navona.

ucsun Aug 29th, 2006 02:15 PM

Neopolitan,

did the same thing in vienna...had to make quite a hike to get to the laundry mat.

LoveItaly Aug 29th, 2006 02:19 PM

Well Neo dear, in the future the dirty clothes will go into my rolling luggage. I promise! I don't know why I never thought of that to be honest. And I won't have to pack my laundry bag either, lol! Take care and enjoy your week. And sure hope the power stays on in your condo so you don't come home to a mess in your freezer!

ecat Aug 29th, 2006 02:50 PM

Neo,

LOL - Believe me I have done my fair share of schlepping! Via buses and on foot, with and with out rolling suitcases. Which is why it's better to have a destination in mind when schlepping ; )

mjs Aug 29th, 2006 11:21 PM

We put our laundry in a duffel bag that we always bring along and taxi to to/from the laundromat.
Have used one laundromat near the Termini. In some countries and some places you do your own and in other places you just drop off and pick up later.