Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lattes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lattes-218012/)

maggie Dec 27th, 2001 01:30 PM

Lattes?

I know this sounds crazy, but I am a total caffiene freak. Gotta have my latte or i go mental...(just call me Ms. Starbuck ;) Anyway, my boyfriend and I will be visiting Italy in March for the first time. Rome, Venice, and Bologne... Question: will we be able to get a decent caffiene fix there, or should i bring my machine with me. Thanks a mucho...

MaryC Dec 27th, 2001 02:10 PM

Maggie<BR><BR>I think it is a fair assumption that finding an excellent latte (or cappuccino or espresso) will be relatively easy to do in Italy. One piece of advice: Italians generally don't drink cappuccino (or latte) past lunchtime. Then they drink espresso.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

xxx Dec 27th, 2001 02:41 PM

Got.to.be.a.troll.

beth anderson Dec 27th, 2001 02:52 PM

oh Lordy Lordy, Maggie, Italy is the ONLY place to go for coffee. surely, Shirley, I hope you are not serious??!!??!!<BR><BR>my best coffee to date - Florence. Venice was pretty darn good too. Turkish coffee was introduced to us by the Venetians.<BR><BR>LATTE and CAPPUCCINO are Italian words... and ESPRESSO is made by BARRISTAS... and you order coffee even in good old Starbux as GRANDE, DOPPO, etc etc..<BR><BR>just be careful what you drink past 5 PM, as you will be up all night if you are a heavy caffeine responder.

Patrick Dec 27th, 2001 03:02 PM

One word of advice. Never ask for a "latte" in Italy. You will get a glass or cup of hot milk -- period. What you want is a "cafe latte" -- note the distinction.

beth anderson Dec 27th, 2001 03:10 PM

ah yes, Patrick is right, sorry.<BR><BR>

mimi taylor Dec 27th, 2001 03:19 PM

The Americans drive the italians crazy when they order cappuccino or latte as Mary C pointed out, after noon. The same in France, Cafe au lait is only at breakfast.

Kay Dec 27th, 2001 03:57 PM

I know that you are not supposed to order a cafe latte or cappuccino after lunch, but I have been refused only once at a hotel in Turin. At other times, no one seemed surprised or upset in Italy at this request. I have gotten a cup of hot milk for forgetting the "cafe" part as Patrick pointed out!

pat Dec 27th, 2001 03:59 PM

Wonderful coffee in Italy! I, too made the mistake of ordering a latte, and got a glass of steamed milk! I also got into ordering gelato everyday. Best icecream in the world!

ned Dec 27th, 2001 07:50 PM

I really empathathize with you maggie. Does anyone know if they even have a starbucks in Italy? would sure make things alot easier if they do. If not, maybe someone should open a franchise. I tried to find a decent "skinny cap" and had alot of trouble,especially in the smaller towns. And don't even think about trying to order a frappechino...they've never even heard of them! Good luck maggie from a fellow addict.

coffelover Dec 27th, 2001 08:31 PM

My husband and I make our morning coffee at home(we even have the special flavorings); for this, we put $5 a day into our travel fund, then another $3 by taking a can of soft drink to work; add to that $10 saved by taking lunch from home.(These figures are based on 2 people) $18/day times 5 days a week times 50 weeks a year= $4500. That's how we pay for a trip to Europe every year!

xxx Dec 27th, 2001 11:47 PM

Is this poster serious? starbucks has the most mediocre coffee. As for the Italians, in my opinion they have the best cappucinos in the world. Starbucks type establishment don't really exist here in europe at least not in Germany. Thank God, go ahead and bring your coffe machine but remember Italy uses 220v electricity.

Tony Hughes Dec 28th, 2001 01:00 AM

Starbucks are alive and well in Britain. However, this posting was definitely a troll - has to be. <BR><BR>All this crap about drinking a certain coffee at a certain time - don't buy into it. My sis, who lives in Italy tried that one on with me a couple of times but I refused. If I want a latte machiatto at 8pm, I'll have one.

Patrick Dec 28th, 2001 05:19 AM

I'll try not to lecture here, but I'm beginning to not understand this post. We all have our set routine and addictioins. I can't start my day without a skinny latte, but we're talking about going to Europe here. For heaven's sake, do we have to take all our home routines with us? Sure you will still want to do coffee in the morning, but does it really have to be the exact brand you have at home? And for that matter are you going to take your own cup or mug so that you will feel like you're at home? As has been said, the coffee in Italy is wonderful, so who cares that for a week or two you aren't getting exactly what you're used to. Isn't that what travel is all about?

c Dec 28th, 2001 05:26 AM

I look forward to the coffees in Europe..Starbucks and American chain coffees are not even in the same catagory as a cup of fresh pressed coffee in any Paris or Florence cafe,hotel,restaurant! I always try to bring home a tin of coffee from whereever I visit so for a little while longer I can enjoy the taste~

david Dec 28th, 2001 06:14 AM

We recently returned from an Italy trip to Rome, Florence, and Venice. We love their Cappuccinos. We also read where they don't drink it after noon time. That is their perogative. We ordered them all day and every night after dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I say if you want one, order it when you want it. We were never frowned upon in any way for ordering them at night.<BR>Drink up!

Vita Dec 28th, 2001 06:18 AM

This post makes me think of when I tried to order granita in Rome. I was told it wasn't available both times that I tried. I thought it was the time of year - October but still hot. Now I'm wondering if it was the time of day - around noon on both occasions.

top Dec 28th, 2001 07:07 AM

ttt