Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Latin Quarter-Where and What (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/latin-quarter-where-and-what-51963/)

Tom Aug 30th, 1999 06:24 AM

Latin Quarter-Where and What

OK--After tedious research, my first trip to Paris is settled except the Hotel. I know this site is full of Hotel recommendations, but this is one last try. I want to stay in the Latin Quarter, I may have a friend with me (double). I need a clean room but not expensive or romantic. I will only sleep there. Would like the room near a metro stop and walking distance to rests., nightlife. My French is minimal, but learning. Do not want to pay a fortune, just need a decent place to stay. Thanks for any help.

Carol Aug 30th, 1999 09:55 AM

Tom: <BR> <BR>Look at the post "Websites for Travellers long list" posted today - it has a lot of information about hotels in Paris. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>

Lee Aug 30th, 1999 09:59 AM

Tom: We stayed at the Hotel Sully-St. Germain on Rue Des Ecoles right in the Latin Quarter near the Sorbonne. It's within two blocks of Metro stop Maubert-Mutualite' and also walking distance to Notre Dame. <BR> <BR>It was about $90.00 for a double including a fine breakfast. The hotel is clean, comfortable and friendly. They speak English, also. Ask for a room facing the street as they are larger and have balconies. <BR> <BR>Sorry I can't provide a phone or fax as my notes are at home in Erie, PA, while I'm on business in Seattle. I'm certain that you could find it on the web, though. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

elvira Aug 30th, 1999 04:07 PM

We stay at the Hotel Delhy, 22, rue de l'Hirondelle, 6eme. It's on a pedestrian street just off the Boul' Mich', about 100 feet from the Pont St Michel metro, and about 150 feet from the RER B stop. The rooms are clean and comfortable (the single rooms at the top of the stairs are teeny), with a sink in the room and the toilet down the hall. The staff speaks English, and I've met Australian and Danish travelers in the breakfast room. TV in each room (you haven't lived til you've seen/heard Knightrider dubbed in French). Some of the double rooms have an attached room with shower and sink. Otherwise, there's a shower on the first floor. <BR>Can't be beat for location...website: <BR>http://www.franceway.com/hotels/delhys/

Monica Aug 31st, 1999 03:29 AM

Hello Tom, I stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 6th arr. It's near the Odeon metro (just a few minute walk to the metro). It's a lively area and very close to Saint Germain, Saint Michel and the Latin quarter area. I have the address and phone number on my travel page at htt://sites.netscape.net/monicapileggi/homepage It's a very nice hotel for under $100. It's definitely the hotel I will use when I return to Paris!

Ann Sep 1st, 1999 05:32 PM

I just made our reservation at travelweb for the Timhotel Jardin Des Plantes. I got a rate of $116 per night.

Lara Sep 1st, 1999 08:10 PM

We are leaving this Sunday for Paris. We always stay in the 5th. How much is too much? What kind of place are you looking for? We've always stayed at the Hotel Notre Dame, be careful there is more than one. Ours is on a quiet street right down from BV St Germain, there are many metro stops within less than a 5 minute walk. The hotel runs around $100 a night. The address is 19, rue Maitre Albert t# 1.43.26.79.00. <BR>I do know others that we've stayed, at times when this one was full( that are less expensive and still suitable). This one is a small, charming,a very nice hotel. If you'd like info on the others I'd be happy to dig it up, but we are leaving in 3 days, so you'll have to hurry. Bon Chance et Bon Voyage.

Jeff Sep 2nd, 1999 02:49 PM

Hi Tom, <BR> Sorry to horn in on your post. Lee, did you say that you live in Erie, PA? I lived there most of my life before moving to Cincinnati, OH. I often go back as my parents and siblings live near there. <BR> Tom, I'm staying on the left bank in the spring. I've decided on the Hotel Madison. A good book that will help is the Fodor's Rivages Hotels of Character and Charm. Have a great time!