Reload this Page >

Latest news in German Rail Strike?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
LilRicky

Sunday, November 25 - What is the latest in the ongoing German rail strike saga?

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I leave for FRA on Tuesday and then must train to Kassel. German friends tell me that I should not have any problems... I hope they are right.

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Even during the worst strike times about 1/3 to 1/2 of all trains were running. You will be able to get to Kassel in any case, just allow an extra 1-2 hours for the case of strike, donīt get yourself locked into a too tight schedule for the arrival day.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 01:18 AM

Latest news is that there is a new offer by Bahn and that the union will decide today whether they'll return to negotiations (during which strikes are not allowed) or go on an unlimited strike.

Wait till tonight, at the moment there is no way to tell you more.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Altamiro
I will buy my train ticket to Kassel once I have landed in FRA and cleared customs. I've done this before, several other times, and have been able to catch "the next" train with time to spare, even with stopping in the ticket office first, and then walking all the way to the tracks (in the newer station), towing my bags. There is no big rush! I'll have time to relax once I reach Kassel. The only plan in place is dinner with friends.

Quokka
Thank you for the updated news on the strike talks. I appreciate your timely information. I hope you will post here if there is any change in the situation. I will be reading fodors again over the next 24 hours before leaving home for my FRA flight.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Ok I will!

Tonight's news, summed up shortly, is this: Negotiations re-start next Monday (Dec 3), definitely no strikes till then. If things go wrong on Monday, the union will decide about further strikes. If things go too well for the locomotive drivers' union, the other two train workers' unions will start thinking how to cause trouble.

(Grand - I have to travel on Dec 4 and 6, so I hope best...)
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:19 PM
LilRicky

Anything new?

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM

According to the DB website there are no strikes planned until the end of January 2008.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM

I posted a separate reply to this question. The negotiations hopefully reached a breakthrough a couple of days ago, but the devil is always in the details.

Basically the leadership of Die Deutsche Bahn has agreed to separate pay talks with the GDL but the pay structure will be integrated into the overall Deutsche Bahn system wages and salaries.

Just how the two sides will iron out the potential difficulties remains to be negotiated.

While these negotiations are in progress there will be no strikes until the end of January. Hopefully the negotiations can be finalized and this lingering on-again, off-agin strike can be laid to rest at least until the next time.

The basic issues have been two:
pay with improved working hours, and separation union negotiations. Die Bahn, Mehdorn and the other leaders, had refused to budge on the separate union idea. The GDL indicated a few weeks ago that it would scale down the pay increase demands of 31%, to a more tractablre 15% (therebouts). That small step backwards seemed to pave the way for separate negotiations with the GDL taking place IF the pay scale could be bundled into the total picture.

Nothing is final; nothing irreversible, and nothing that cannot suddenly blow up.