Late Spring 2015 in Spain and Southern France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a couple in our late 20's that is looking to travel to Spain and France next May. Ideally, we would be leaving NYC on 05/21 and catching a return flight on 5/31.

As of now, we are in extremely preliminary stages of planning and I wanted to get a few opinions on what's doable and what is not before I start my full research. Here's our rough itinerary:

Fly out of JFK into Madrid evening of 5/21
Marid 5/22 - 5/24
Train to Valencia 5/24 - 5/26
Train to Barcelona 5/26-5/28
Train to Marseilles 5/28 -5/31 (with day trips to Arles/Aix-En-Provence by car)

What do you think of this trip? Is this doable? I spent 2 days last summer in Marseilles, and I loved the city, so I'd really like to go back there. But if you have other recommendations in Spain, I am willing to skip France completely.

I would also like to go to Bunol for the Tomatina festival, which I know is in August. Would you recommend I change my trip to Mid/Late August so I can go to the Tomatina festival? I hear the weather in August is horrendous and that most of the cities are like ghost towns, but would it all be worth it for Tomatina?

My gf and I have travelled moderately so we are somewhat used to Europe. I spent 2 weeks in France last summer and a month in India on my own this past winter. My gf on the other hand has been to Germany and England numerous times on her own for business trips.
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 01:16 PM

I think it helps if you explain what it is you want to see/do/etc. in Madrid, Valencia, and Barcelona. It is certainly doable but a tad rushed unless that is how you like to travel. If you can get good flights into Madrid and home from Marseilles then looks good, but there are tons of options.
I cannot help you on Tomatina other than to say that late May is so so so lovely, whereas I imagine everything bad said about August is true! Not something most of us would endure in order to get pelted with tomatoes, but I am over 40.
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM

I would stick to Spain, returning from Barcelona, rather than pushing on to Marseille.
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 02:24 PM

Please remember that you lose at least 1/2 every time you time you change cities. It is easy to spend a week each just in Madrid and Barcelona.
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 11:16 PM

To enter the Tomatina you have to prebook tickets.This is the website covering this years prices and the way to purchase.
Keep watching for 2015.
http://www.tomatina.es/en/