Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Late October To Germany - Drive Along The Rhine

Old Aug 4th, 1997, 05:42 AM
DRucks

We are planning a late October flight to Frankfort, rent a car, a night in Heidelberg, then drive along the Rhine, staying in B&B or castles along the way, for about a week's time. We would be happy to hear your comments about the weather, and any accommodations you have enjoyed in your Rhine travels. Thank you very much.

Old Aug 5th, 1997, 04:01 AM
Leslie

Hi. I lived in Schwetzingen (between Heidelberg and Mannheim) for 4 years, and we made the drive along the Rhine many times. I think you'll have a wonderful vacation. I can't help you with hotels, as we did the drive as a day trip, or on the way to Brussels, or somewhere else. The weather may not be so nice. Be prepared for cold and dreary, and the days will be getting quite short... it starts getting dark at around 4 PM. Just plan to spend your evenings in a nice cheery pub!

Old Aug 9th, 1997, 09:32 AM
Bob Ricks

A week will be a long time on the Rhine unless you go all the way up. You can also see the Moselle region, which I believe is more quaint than the Rhine. Both come together in Koblenz. We have stayed at the Krone in Assmannhausen...very nice. Also just returned from the Alte Thorschenke in Cochem (Moselle River) and also recommend it. In Heidelberg I recommend the Zur Backmulde. Near all the old part of town. have fun. Your weather will either be great or cold. We had a lot of rain in June. Always prepare for some rain and take an umbrella . You will use it for sure.

Old Aug 10th, 1997, 11:03 PM
anthony

Help!! i'm asking anyone who has rented a car from germany.
I'll be landing in frankfurt on sept 12th and staying for a
week. Is it cheaper to rent at the airport or to make
resevations prior to my departure

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 03:57 AM
Romano

Renting a car in Franfurt in September?
We just reserved and prepaid for a car for Oct. out of Frankfurt.
For $418.60 Canadian well get an Audi 4 with unlimited mileage for 2 weeks.
Compact cars are cheaper.
We dealt with AUTO EUROPE.
Reservations at 1-800-223-5555
Check to see if your credit card covers you for collision damage and if it does waive the rental
surcharge for the added insurance.
Use the credit card for payment.

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 05:02 PM
Carla

My husband and I are flying into Frankfurt next Sunday! We are going to the Rhine/Mosel area for 1 night and then heading onto Rothenburg. We rented a car for 2 weeks and 1 day for $415.69 (a compact Golf and insurance) through Auto Europe. Have a great time.