Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Late night in London Museums (Beth A) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/late-night-in-london-museums-beth-a-146608/)

beth anderson Jan 24th, 2002 08:40 AM

Late night in London Museums (Beth A)

Hi y'all<BR><BR>just so no one accidentally opens a thread they can't stand, I was sure to post my name on the title! Quite courteous of me, wouldn't you say? &lt;wink&gt;<BR><BR>My friend Glenn is coming into town this wkd from the US, on a business trip & I am putting together a late night museum guide for him since I am going home on Tuesday. Thought this might help some folks too.<BR><BR>herewith is the list:<BR><BR>Tues:<BR>British Library, 8 PM<BR>Hayward Gallery, 8 PM <BR><BR>Wed:<BR>Hayward Gallery, 8 PM (there is an exhibit on Klee right now)<BR>National Gallery, 9 PM<BR>V&A, 930 PM<BR><BR>Thurs:<BR>National Portrait Gallery, 9 PM<BR>British Museum, 830 PM<BR><BR>Fri:<BR>National Portrait Gallery, 9 PM<BR>Royal Academy, 10 PM<BR>Tate Modern, 10 PM<BR>British Museum, 830 PM<BR>V&A - last Fri of each month, 10 PM<BR><BR>Sat: <BR>Tate Modern, 10 PM<BR><BR>Not late openings, but general closing times:<BR><BR>Imperial War Museum, 6 daily (love it, go every time)<BR>Nat'l Maritime Museum, 6 PM daily<BR>Natural History Museum, 550 PM daily<BR>London Transport 6 PM daily (very cool, kids will love it)<BR>Somerset House, 6 PM. also very cool. beautiful to go see the fountains at night<BR>ICA - 730 PM daily.<BR><BR>I really urge going to the National Gallery on its late night. It is not crowded, and last night they had a concert, made it a very relaxing evening. Good art and good music too - you can stand and stare at the Canalettos just as long as you please - no jostling. (hardly anyone there). <BR><BR>Trafalgar Square at night - esp with a misty rain - GORGEOUS. the lights reflecting off the pavement, the fountains, the LACK of pigeons... very nice.<BR><BR>good view for anyone who doesn't already know about this - stand outside in the main portico of the Natl Gallery - you get a great view of Whitehall and Big Ben down at the end. I actually have a pretty cool perspective shot of that very scene, during the day - I think it may be found on Sally's site if you are interested.<BR><BR>Beth

xxx Jan 24th, 2002 08:44 AM

Thanks for the helpful list!

MaryC Jan 24th, 2002 08:52 AM

Very helpful list indeed! Thanks for the great posting, Beth!! Glad to see you doing so well (maybe it's your upbeat attitude that makes you SEEM so tall).<BR><BR>Tres courteous re: posting your name in the title!! ; )

Eva Jan 24th, 2002 09:30 AM

Two weeks ago I was very much disappointed in the Britsh Museum.Only some rooms on the main floor are open.Even the Caryatid room and Lion Hunt Room were closed.The main Cafeteria shuld be open until 7.45 pm ,but I was rejected at 6pm.Do not plan your visit only for the late opoening.

Tammy Jan 24th, 2002 11:40 AM

Thanks Beth! I'll be in London in May! I've been quietly following your job search here on fodor's and I think it's great what you are doing. I was laid off too, so I know that even though you are following your dream, it still can be a scary world out there. You go girl!!!! More power to you!!!!!

c Jan 24th, 2002 11:44 AM

Just think Beth-you never know who might be at the museum for you to knock over~<BR>LOL, just kidding~<BR>Have you been to the Wallace Collection? If so, how did you like it?

Judy Jan 24th, 2002 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info, Beth. That was very helpful. I especially like the idea of the national gallery at night... sounds like a unique experience. Judy :-)

Nicole Jan 24th, 2002 02:44 PM

Beth,darlin,posting your travels and very entertaining adventures, has become something of a divider at Fodors..there are some who enjoy them , follow them with glee..and then there are the sad lot who have nothing but negatives to say ,therefore, going after anything positive..<BR>I would be happy if you keep the reports coming, there are enough people who have the maturity and courtesy to read them and enjoy them or not to comment...and for those who have nothing nice to say or must mock, we know how to ignore them.So-keep 'em coming-woooohoooooo!!

Judd Jan 24th, 2002 03:18 PM

Anyone over the age of 14 that thinks saying "woohooo" is cool is, how to put this, neither very cool nor mature.<BR><BR>But that's just my opinion.

x Jan 24th, 2002 03:20 PM

"Woohooo" -- well immature or not, look at Beth's email address. I seem to recall that she has written that word in some of her threads.

another Jan 24th, 2002 03:21 PM

Judd, that was very enlightening, thanks for giving us your opinion.wooohooooo

Judd Jan 24th, 2002 03:23 PM

My point exactly.

NCollins Jan 24th, 2002 03:26 PM

One might comment on a name like JUDD also, piss off if you don't like the topic.

xxxx Jan 24th, 2002 03:28 PM

Do you know Winona and Naomi?

SavvyTrav Jan 24th, 2002 03:28 PM

Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo! Keep 'em coming, Beth. I'm 60. Immature? You Bet!

MaryC Jan 24th, 2002 08:45 PM

Judd, honey, are you from KY? I knew a guy there who was related to the Judds (he was a Judd himself).<BR><BR>BTW, hon, it's Wynona. Winona is a Ryder. : )<BR><BR>Woohoo!!!

nice Jan 25th, 2002 06:36 AM

Nice job guys; you claim to be mature and then you throw in redneck jokes...how enlighting of you. My suspicions of Beth's fans have just been confirmed!

Ann Jan 25th, 2002 06:39 AM

What, exactly, is "smob"?

July Jan 25th, 2002 06:43 AM

I think "smob" it's a typo...just a guess...

english Jan 25th, 2002 07:15 AM

No- I think he is using a new word in the English language..SMOB- it is only for a priveledged few to know what it means and to use it well.....