Late May stay Grindelwald or Wengen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have only 3 or maybe 4 nights ( 23rd May to 26th May) and want to base ourselves where cable car access and options are easiest.
I notice the Grindelwald to Mannlichen cable car opens for summer later (25th May at the end of our stay!) while the Wengen to Mannlichen opens a few days earlier ( 20th May)
We were hoping maybe to hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. How long does it take?
( I have read about another recommended option to access the mountains too....it begins with an "S")
I need to make the right decison where to stay: Grindelwald or Wengen?? HELP needed please.

I have a Swiss Travel Passand hoping I'll get 50% off cost
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 01:30 PM

Grindelwald is at lower altitude than Wengen and thus may be warmer or may not - weather is so variable- the cables are not closed because of weather I think but because it is off season between winter and summer rushes and repairs are done then.

that hike could be muddy or an icy or dry and nice at that time- check ahead and it is a GREAT EASY hike.

With a Swiss Pass you can take it via Zweilutchenen to Lauterbrunnen to Wengen free for an earlier operating lift.

Otherwise Grindelwald has many more options by trains and gondolas than does Wengen.(Also only 20 min from Interlaken-Ost vs about 50min I'd say for Wengen.)

There are lots of access to mountains - Schynige Platte maybe is the one with an S- iot goes up to the Alpine Gardens and folks who want harder hiking can hike down some neat Alpine routes. Swiss Passes now are 100% valid to Schynige Platte as of Jan, 2107 - was 50% only before.

For lots on trains and conveyances in this area and on Swiss Passes too check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 06:42 PM
kja

You might consider Lauterbrunnen instead -- it will give you a number of options to adjust your plans as necessary depending on weather, closed trails, etc. Just a thought...
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Lauterbrunnen is also of course at a much lower altitude - so warmer and yes it has nice connections to Wengen/Mannlichen- Jungfraujoch and Murren and Schilthorn.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 08:38 AM

The Schynige Platte railway will must probably begin to run on May 27th.