Late March - Sicily or Crete

Old Nov 9th, 2021, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late March - Sicily or Crete

Hello,

Long-time Fodorite here... just not online as much these past few years, as we have hit the insane pace of having kids who can't drive themselves to all of their commitment, lol.
Planning a southern Europe trip the last two weeks of March. Not our first choice with timing, but our older son has enough schoolwork that he really can't miss more than a week, so we are pairing this trip with Spring Break.

Sicily and Crete have long been on our bucket list for the archaeological sites and museums. We spent 3-4 weeks every summer in the Cyclades so we get our beach time then, and until Covid, we spent 2-3 weeks every December/January in Italy over the winter holidays, so we get our mainland Italy time then. Sicily and Crete don't fit into our usual June/July or December/January pattern, hence the thought to try one or the other in late March which is our only other opportunity to carve out a couple weeks.

Would greatly appreciate any and all feedback and insight on traveling to either location at this time of year! Our priority is historical sights, so not concerned about beaches and nightlife and so forth. We live in the mountains west of Denver, CO, so cold weather isn't a concern. Either of the islands is bound to be warmer than where we live, haha!

Thank you, thank you for your thoughts, wonderful Fodorites! And a long overdue hug to all I haven't spoken with in way too long.

Jill

P.S. We've visited the Peloponnese on three prior occasions, but if has been a while. If you have thoughts on that itinerary, I would love to hear them

Old Nov 9th, 2021, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been to Crete, but several years ago had a wonderful trip to Sicily end of March/beginning of April.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 10:10 AM

I can't speak for Crete either. There are several trip reports for Sicily if you do a search. I copied my scrapbook and posted our trip from Palermo to Siracusa to Sorrento to Rome one March. It's dated but the places remain! Here's the first of the 3 files, FYI:

Sicily 2002 - A Trip of Miracles
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 11:16 AM

TexasAggie, I’ve been to Sicily but not to Crete, but I did research Crete for a possible family trip. Sicily’s historical treasures span millenia, and it sounds like your kids are at a good age to to take them in. In addition to the Greek and Roman sites, there are fabulous Byzantine-style mosaics, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-N...¨_and_Monreale, and more. You can choose your stays among cities, towns, villages, and agriturismi. Our family’s trip: https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...al-trip-850672. If you zero in on Sicily, Vagabonda and other locals on the TripAdvisor Sicily forum will have information on current conditions.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 12:22 PM

TexasAggie, you will probably expect me to suggest going to Crete, but this time I think Sicily would be the best choice. Crete certainly has many ancient sites, and I have always been fascinated by the Minoans, but Sicily has its share of Greek ruins too, as well as those of the Romans and other cultures. I always think of Crete as a beach oriented destination, but realise there is more than that.

I will admit to never having been to Sicily, but have been to mainland Italy, and more recently to Sardinia, which I adored. I would guess Sicily has more to offer you for a trip in March.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 01:48 PM

Another plug for Sicily! There is so much to see and while it’s not the idyllic later spring, I think the end of March should be comfortable. I was there in May and it was hot!

Having been to both Crete and Sicily, I agree that the latter has more for 2 young boys to enjoy. You will have enough ancient ruins to keep you busy, and there are plenty of other places to visit.

Though you can’t go wrong with either.
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for the insight! I confess... I'm sure the features that Fodors has added over the years make searches easier... I'm just not used to them! I appreciated the trip report link and found a few more. We will be doing Sicily . We will fly into CTA and transfer directly to Ortigia. Then we'll proceed clockwise . Thank you all again so very much for taking the time to reply!!
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Heimdall, we just confirmed our week on Antiparos at the end of June today! Counting down until my first lazy day at Faneromeni or Panageia!
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 11:43 PM

Good decision, TexasAggie!

Enjoy Sicily in March, and Antiparos in June. Panagia is one of my favourite beaches on Antiparos, my “go to” beach on windy days. I walk there on the coastal path from Psaraliki Beach, and love the soft sand, tamarisk trees for shade, and the stone wall at the back for shelter from from the wind.
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 05:59 AM

Hi, TexasAggie,
Here’s my TR for our visit to Sicily in 2016. I hope you find it helpful.
A brief but selective report on our Sicilian sojourn