Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Late June 2017 - Capri/Amalfi Coast vs Serengeti Safari (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/late-june-2017-capri-amalfi-coast-vs-serengeti-safari-1109442/)

dmiclat May 25th, 2016 05:02 PM

Late June 2017 - Capri/Amalfi Coast vs Serengeti Safari

Hello -

We are a family of 4:
Parents both age 52yo
20yo daughter
18yo son

We are having a very difficult time deciding the destination for our 2017 10 day holiday (last week of June and first week of July):

10 nights in Capri/Amalfi Coast/Naples
vs
10 nights in Tanzanian Safari/Bwindi Gorilla Trekking.

We have already, and thoroughly enjoyed, our experience of Easter holiday in Rome/Florence/Pisa.

Key success and happiness factors for our 2017 holiday are:
1. Safety/Health
2. Weather - Sunny. No rain. Low-mid humidity levels.
3. Flora and Environment - great colors and unique sights for photo opps.
4. Want to avoid HUGE crowds and LONG LINES

The specifics for each of the destinations are below:

Capri/Amalfi Coast/Naples - Self/Private Tour
La Scalinatella Hotel on Capri (4 nights)
Santa Caterina Hotel on Amalfi Coast (4 nights)
Naples (2 nights)

Tanzanian Safari & Bwindi Gorilla Trekking - Bespoke Micato Safaris Tour
Arusha Coffee Lodge (2 nights)
Ngorogoro Crater (2 nights)
Northern Serengeti/Mara River (3-4 nights)
Gorilla Mtn Trekking Rwanda Bwindi Impenetrable Forest (2-3 nights)

Your decision and supporting reasons are greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Darryl & Catherine
USA

thursdaysd May 25th, 2016 05:33 PM

They are completely different experiences. Only you can decide which appeals to you more. If you really can't decide, flip a coin. If you're disappointed with the result, you really wanted to take the other trip.

Leely2 May 25th, 2016 06:21 PM

No contest, Serengeti and Bwindi. I have been to TZ a couple times and Kenya twice, Rwanda once. I love Italy but come ON! By the way, you can probably get a better priced/better accomos and itinerary using a tour operator other than Micato. Have you posted on the Africa board?

Leely2 May 25th, 2016 06:28 PM

Ten nights is kind of tight for Serengeti plus the Crater and then getting to Uganda and Bwindi, though. And the migration is a crapshoot in late June--Serengeti is big big big. You would want four nights in the Serengeti, I would think. I was in Kenya in the Mara once in June and the herds started to arrive.

thursdaysd May 25th, 2016 06:36 PM

Sure it's a contest. You couldn't pay me to go gorilla trekking.

anyegr May 25th, 2016 06:43 PM

If I could afford it I would chose the safari. I looked at their website and it sounds like it would be a wonderful experience. Unfortunately the total cost, with flights to Africa, would equal the cost of my last three "big trips" together.

But thursdaysd is right. They are completely different experiences.

I think the Safari would win on points three and four of your key factors. Not sure about the first point (safety) since anything could happen when wild animals are involved. I have absolutely no idea of the weather in Tanzania at that time of year.