Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Late for a French Christmas market, but still.. near England, near Belgium!
Notices

Late for a French Christmas market, but still.. near England, near Belgium!

Dec 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Late for a French Christmas market, but still.. near England, near Belgium!

I spent Christmas Day at the emergency room, because when one's mother is in a nursing home, events are not polite with the calendar. Nothing serious, but it ate up 6 hours of my day, so it was kind of a relief when she was back safe and sound where she was supposed to be, and I could still take my train to Lille the next day.

So it was only on the 26th that I finally got a chance to really spend time in a Christmas market (ridiculous, I know, when I live in a city full of Christmas markets), but I was delighted to feel that I was somewhere else and to see how people spend their time in French Flanders.

I also managed to see the astounding Silk Road Saatchi Gallery exhibit at the Tri Postal. It was absolutely magnificent (link to it in the attached report).

It is probably a bit early to start planning visits to France during the next Christmas season, but I will certainly recommend Lille in the future, even more so for anybody traveling between London or Brussels and Paris at that time of year.

Anyway, here is my belated Christmas market report: http://tinyurl.com/22p7lyl
Dec 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM

As usual thanks for your visual feast. And the nicest Xmas present of all - your Mum being OK. I always though Lille rather grim, in summer, but your photos make it shine. Was there any hot spicy gluh wine (sp?) served up?
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:53 AM

It's already been on the day trip list for a number of years for the British, the centre is pleasant and there is a good variety of shops and restaurants. There are various shopping malls on the outskirts for more serious supermarket shopping. It's also an easy drive from Brussels.
Dec 31st, 2010, 07:43 AM

We often visit Lille. It's only a one and a half hour drive from where we live. We like to walk through the Vieux Lille neighbourhood, and - bien sûr - enjoy the patisserie at the old fashioned 'Paul' tearoom. On our way back home we stock up on cheese, wine and other goodies at the Auchan hypermarket.

Search this Thread