Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Late arrival and very early departure from Gatwick

Old Dec 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just bought tickets to spend a few nights in London. Main question is since we arrive on a Wed. at 11pm and have to wait for one suitcase, would it be better to spend the night at a Gatwick Priceline/Hotwire hotel (also much cheaper than in town), or take the train into town.

Also, my main concern is our early morning departure ( 6.50 a.m.) Monday from Gatwick. I am inclined to stay at an airport hotel at least that Sunday night to avoid any stress worrying about taxi to train, etc.

Any thoughts?

Not sure where we will be in London yet but I am assuming we will take the Southern line or G. Express and then a taxi from Victoria.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Staying at the airport both nights makes sense -- but only for hotels actually AT LGW. Hotels around Victoria are just as convenient/fast as LGW "area" hotels.

I usually want to get straight into the city. But -- if you travel into London first thing in the AM and return to LGW late your last night, you really won't lose a minute of "sightseeing time"

(I posted to your Laia thread. I'm so sorry)
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Yes but he'll have to spend time checking in and checking out. Plus he'll have to store his luggage somewhere that last full day in London. So I vote for staying near Victoria Station.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

I have never had a problem storing luggage anywhere.. I think the last night I do really want to be nearer to Gatwick. The Crowne Plaza ( or seems to be) is available at Hotwire for $49 the last night.. seems like a wise choice. It says there is a shuttle ( on their website).. but does not say "complimentary".

Not many "Victoria " area hotels on Priceline, or Hotwire, really, are there? I really need to make this as nice and economical as possible.

Thanks about Laia, janisj.. yes.. even our two cats look a bit bewildered and depressed today. Poor things!
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM

"<i> Plus he'll have to store his luggage somewhere that last full day in London.</i>"

Almost all hotels will store luggage after checkout (except for cheap places like Travelodge) so that isn't much of an issue.

I normally want to stay IN London too. But w/ an 0650 departure, it approaches the point that I'd choose an airport hotel. I would not stay off airport - in that case, I'd choose Victoria.

But that extra night's sleep in London won't really gain any "London time". You could stay in the city until well after dinner and then take the train to LGW.

But staying at Victoria is obviously an option too. Only thing is, do you want to stay in Victoria for the entire time in London? If so - then stay every night in London. If you wanted to stay someplace else -- then 1st and last at LGW and the middle bit in London.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

janisj.. I think I have seen you are very familiar with Priceline in london. Have you seen any hotels near Victoria come up? I agree with your assessment. I'll have to check out the winning posts.. but in case you already knew the answer to that one!
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM

We've stayed at several guesthouses in Horley, about five minutes from Gatwick. This summer we stayed twice at Castle Lodge, which provides free 24 hour pick up and drop off service to the airport. Very comfortable and economical, plus serve-yourself continental breakfast.

See more info here: http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/hotels/re...ouse&s=gatwick

Kathy
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a Yotel (like a pod hotel) inside Gatwick Airport, you could stay there on your last night as you will be up at 3-ish to get your flight so won't have long in your room. Minimum booking is 4 hours, then you pay for each hour after that.

We stayed one night at the Gatwick Yotel and loved the convenience. It's pre-paid so when we left, out the door, up one floor in the lift and we were in departures. No need to worry about shuttles or taxis.

Kay
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM

The problem w/ Priceline is Victoria is in the Westminster zone that covers hotels from Vauxhall south of the river to Victoria to Waterloo to St James's -- so not good if you want to be very near Victoria. Hotwire can be better since you can see some details about the hotels.

Yotel is in the terminal -- but it charges by the hour so might not be best for a whole overnight's stay.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Janis, they are not having a whole overnight's stay. They have a 6.50am flight. Airlines usually suggest arriving 3 hours prior. They will need time to get washed and dressed as well. This makes it a short stay at Yotel.

Kay
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

This is an intra european flight, so more than 2 hours ahead.. no.. in fact.. maybe 90 minutes as I will have boarding passes and I THINK I can just DROP the suitcase for Easyjet after checking in at KIOSK. Not sure though.

No matter what.. it is a yucky morning.. but the other option got us home Sunday aftrnoon, early evening really cutting into our stay.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

just checked yotel that is 82GBP. Yikes. ( 5 hours) think i'll pass! the crowne plaza is looking like a wise decision.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:05 AM

I fly Easyjet out of Gatwick about once or twice a month and often early flights. I normally book a minicab from London and the drive takes about 45-1:00 at that time of the morning and costs roughly 35 GBP. Your hotel can sort this out for you in London. For a 6:50 flight, I would probably get picked up at 4:15-4:30. There are breakfast places open in the airport at that time if you need to grab some coffee to kill time.

If you've already printed off your boarding passes then there is no need to use the kiosk at the airport. Simply find the desk for dropping your bags and you're set. Make sure you prepay for the bags online in advance. Remember too that with Easyjet you can print your boarding passes off way in advance, something like 60 days before your flight.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Lin, think about the "speedy boarding", if only because they have dedicated check-in desks for those customers, and you do really save time. Last year it was around 20 more euros, and it came handy.

I haven´t had such an early flight with them, but I have arrived quite late to LGW, and I have headed out straight to stay in the Victoria area. There are a couple of nice hotels in the area and it has worked fine.

Rgds, Cova
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 08:43 AM

"<i>hey have a 6.50am flight. Airlines usually suggest arriving 3 hours prior.</i>"

Not at 03:50 they don't.