Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last two weeks of May: One week in Provence and then one week in Dordogne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Provence in 2006 on a two-week driving trip and had a wonderful time--Nice, Aix, St. Remy-de-Provence with day trips to Roussillion, Gordes, Uzes, Arles, and a couple of days back at the end in St. Paul-de-Vence. We also fit in Montpellier (which I did not like all that much) and a day trip to Carcassone. Did not go to Avignon or Nimes.

Am now planning trip for last two weeks in May with friend who has never been outside Paris. Her aim is to see parts of France outside the big city. Have suggested she do a little research and choose between two weeks in Dordogne or two weeks in Provence. She would like to do BOTH in one trip: one week based in Dordogne (I have suggested Sarlat as a base) AND one week in Provence (I have suggested St. Remy-de-Provence as a base but am open to suggestions. I did love St. Remy and would be happy to base there again). I told her we would waste a day driving and she said that's ok with her.

Has anyone done this sort of trip (say, fly to Paris, go direct to Dordogne for a week, drive to Provence base, week in Provence, fly back from Nice (through Paris or London). Was it worthwhile? Or would you recommend staying two weeks in one region? That's my preference, but I'm trying to be flexible.

In any case, was thinking it made sense to fly first to Nice and then go to Dordogne for second week because the weather is more likely to be dryer the later we go?

We will fill in details of which day trips later. Hope we're not too late to get good bookings for end of May (??)

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Fly to Toulouse and visit the Dordogne, then drive to Provence, visit, and fly home from Marseille or Nice.

Or do the reverse. No need to go to Paris unless you want to visit Paris. Often, we'll return to Paris from Provence by train to the Gare de Lyon, stay one night, have dinner at Train Bleu, and taxi to CDG the next morning.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 03:26 PM

I did almost the exact trip you are looking at. Flew into Paris, train to Dordogne (based in Sarlat) for about a week, then drove to Provence (based in St Remy) for about a week and finished up in Nice (I then continued on to Italy but you could certainly fly home from Nice). I loved every minute of it.

Here's my trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...swiss-alps.cfm
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to both of you. Stu--thank you for all the itineraries I've received in the past from you for France and Italy and your always ready response to us traveling newbies. You're the best! Isabel--your trip looks amazing! I want to go back and read it more thoroughly when I have more time.

Am having trouble planning itinerary here because we are going to three largeish areas in a fairly short amount of time (approximately May 10-May 24). We are taking Stu's advice to fly into Toulouse. We plan to stay the night, rent a car, then drive to Sarlat.

At this point am having a bit of trouble deciding how long for the Dordogne, how long for Provence (probably based in St. Remy but am open to other suggestions--perhaps Isle sur la Sorgue?--for a central base), and how long--if it all--to spend near Nice. Would it be better to choose between Provence and the Riviera for approximately one week? Should we spend only 5 nights in Sarlat and apportion another day for Nice/Cote d'Azur? I want to end up near to Nice (or at least Marseille), since I plan to spend another week or so on the French/Italian border solo after my friend goes back.

All suggestions for dividing up those 11 nights welcome!
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

We changed dates, as I said above, to May 10-May 24 to take advantage of lower airfare prices before May 15. Saving almost $300 just by taking the earlier dates!
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 03:30 PM

If you have 11 nights - I would do
1 nights in Toulouse
5 nights in the Dordogne
5 nights in Provence.

I would not try to squeeze in the Nice/Cote d'Azur area.

Stu Dudley