Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Last Supper Question - Milan (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/last-supper-question-milan-674282/)

pointofnoreturn Jan 27th, 2007 12:57 PM

Last Supper Question - Milan

How far ahead can you book to see the Last Supper painting in Milan. I'm in Milan for one night (arriving in the morning, leaving the next day around noon) and I'd like to see the Last Supper painting.

Did a bit of a search on this topic for this forum but I couldn't find anything that would answer my question.

And is it cheaper to book online or over the phone for this particular place?

Thanks in advance!

papagena Jan 27th, 2007 01:24 PM

I don't know whether there is an official ticket release date online, but my experience last year was that it was possible to book a couple of months in advance and that once released huge numbers of tickets sold out within 24 hours. I didn't manage to get a reservation because I left it a couple of days without checking the website and the three days I was in Milan were released and sold out in that time.

travelhorizons Jan 27th, 2007 01:27 PM

You should try as soon as possible as very limited numbers of people are allowed to view the Last Supper. Try to book right now! If they're not taking reservations, at least they'll tell you *when* they will.

Leilei Jan 27th, 2007 01:37 PM

When will you be in Milan? We will be there on May 13th and were told that we could book tickets starting February 1st.
Good luck!

greg Jan 27th, 2007 01:41 PM

If you are looking for a particular time slot, such as early morning, you HAVE to book it within a day or so after they open the book for reservation.

So how far away do they open the reservation?

I looked at the official web site every day and here are the days they opened the book last year:

on reservation opened to:
4/5/2006 8/31/2006
12/21/2005 5/31/2006

This is just a guide as they can change the system in 2007.

The main difficulty is getting the time and the date you want. I recommend not dwelling much on the cost as desirable time slots literally get filled very quickly.

Keep in mind that web site is quirky and only gives you a hint on when the reservation is available. Of the three ways to book, web, phone, and hotel, only the last one was successful. Web site, even though it said slot available refused to give me a reservation. By phone, I called them 6 times a day for three days and did not get thru. Finally, my Milan hotel got a reservation for me. I told the date and the time I wanted to my hotel BEFORE the reservation was open.

To get to the official online site:

You start from here:

http://www.cenacolovinciano.it/html/eng/accoglienza.htm

which takes you to

http://www.cenacolovinciano.org/

click English at top left:

http://www.cenacolovinciano.org/english/index.html

"book your visit"

gives you a calendar which needs getting used to. The days that are available are noted. If blank, it is either already taken or not yet released -- you cannot tell which one, unless you have been checking the site often and notice that as soon as they release the dates, whole screen lights up with available symbols. Within few days, only undesirable slots are left.

Good luck.

pointofnoreturn Jan 27th, 2007 02:53 PM

Yeah, I'll be in Milan for the whole day on May 17th but on the website, there were no bookings available. I'll check on Feb. 1st (as Leilei mentioned) for sure!

I was going to major in Fine Arts/Art History but changed my mind last minute and decided on Biology but I still have a passion for art history.

I just hope I'll be able to snag a booking for the late afternoon for that day.

Thanks for all of your replies!

annhig Jan 27th, 2007 03:14 PM

i know that it's not strictly on subject, but I had the same sort of problem with the opera in Madrid. Trying to book for when we are there, i finally realised that the bookings hadn't opened for that day yet. When I accessed the web-site on the day they opened, at about 2pm, very few tickets were left!
so if you want to try the web, hit it early, allowing for the time-lag!

Cinart Jan 27th, 2007 03:20 PM

The day we had tickets, there were some no-shows, so they let some people in on stand-by. Of course, this was about 5 years ago, pre-DaVinci Code. Things may be different now.

Jean Jan 27th, 2007 04:49 PM

We also got in without reservations by standing in a "hopefuls" line, same as Cinart. It was also pre-daVinci Code days.

We hadn't said anything to the staff at our hotel about our plans for that day. When we later described our experience, they seemed almost offended that we hadn't asked for their help in getting a reservation in advance. That was my first lesson in seeking help from the hotel for any type of reservation or information request.

Just email your hotel and see what they can do for you.

Mar2 Jan 31st, 2007 04:16 PM

We just returned from Milan and did not make a reservation ahead of time to see the Last Supper. Instead we bought a ticket on a bus tour that included a visit to the Last Supper through the hotel concierge.

Wekiva Jan 31st, 2007 05:58 PM

Mar2 got the right idea. We were there within a week or so of the release of the DaVinci Code and sat in front of that blasted museum several times waiting for no shows...and it never happened. We learned later that we could have picked a number of tours that would have included a visit. So that seems to be the way to go.

If you are patient you can get through by phone...I did. That is better than the web site.

greg Jan 31st, 2007 11:44 PM

I have also looked at (expensive) package tours as an alternative. I found that the tours I found did not include the Last Supper on the day I wanted. Even the tours before and after the day I wanted were fully booked. And lastly, even if I could have gone on the day they provided the tour, it included many hours of other sites I did not care to visit. I was glad that my hotel was able to get a reservation.

pointofnoreturn Feb 1st, 2007 06:34 AM

Ooh I forgot, Leilei, could you possibly post in this thread if you have any luck booking your tickets for May 2007 since you mentioned you're travelling the same time as I am.

Leilei Mar 8th, 2007 02:45 PM

Hi point
I just saw your request for more info on getting tickets for the Last Supper. I have really been given the run around. I have called and then been told to call back on a certain date. When I do that, I am told to call back on yet another date. Each time (5 so far), I have waited up until 2am to catch them when they open at 9am in Italy. The first few times, it took only 8-10 minutes to reach the operator( and then to be told to call back). I called on Monday as instructed and was told to call back on March 7th- that was when the dates opened up for May. I called for over 2 1/2 hrs Wed and never got through. I tried again at 5:30a and got thru in just a few attempts. But, when I told the operator the date, I was put on hold . When she came back on she said that May 12-20 was a 'special week' and they won't know until March 11th about tickets for that week. Didn't they know all along that it was a 'special week?'
I am really loosing interest in seeing the Last Supper and we may forget about our whirlwind tour of Milan and just go onto Venice.
Has anyone else had this same trouble?
L

Huitres Mar 8th, 2007 03:12 PM

The lines toward the end of the day tend to be lighter. In fact, I saw several people just walk up around 4:30 pm and they were able to get into view it. If you go from 4-6:15 pm, you only pay 15 euros. I bought my ticket online at this site: http://www.initaly.com/regions/artists/lastsupp.htm. It was very convenient and my name was registered in the ticket office, no hassles. You can try going there the day you arrive, at the end of the day, to see if you can just buy a ticket at the window. However, because of the popularity of "The Da Vinci Code" they recommend buying tickets to the Last Supper at least 7 days in advance. Since you know the exact days you will be in Milano, give them 2 options and see which is more available towards the end of the day. Buon viaggio!

pointofnoreturn Mar 10th, 2007 05:35 AM

LeiLei, I was in the same boat as you were! I was told to call back on March 1, did so, they said to call back on March 7. When I called back, I could not get through for 3 days straight. Around March 7, I went on their website and the entire week of May 17 was completely blank. I was confused to why it was that particular week even though I was on that site in the early hours of March 7.

I am getting frustrated because I will only be there for one night (on the 17th) before taking a flight out the next morning. Looks like I'm out in the cold on this one.

BobandBunkie Mar 11th, 2007 11:47 AM

We contacted tickitaly.com in January (our requested date was May 2nd) and they expected that date to be released toward the beginning of March. On March 8 we received a confirmation email that our ticket assignment was confirmed. Hope that helps.
Bob and Bunkie

Leilei Mar 12th, 2007 03:44 PM

Finally!! We have tickets for the Last Supper! And since it is a cultural week 12-20 May, the tickets are free.
L

pointofnoreturn Mar 15th, 2007 08:01 AM

Managed to score 2 tickets for May 17th as well - they were free although the booking fee is still required (3 euros).

I'm happy now with my reservation!

Thanks for the heads up Leilei about Cultural Week! It'll save us plenty of euros!

111op Aug 26th, 2007 05:39 PM

Hi, could people please review the Last Supper options at this stage? Needless to say, the website shows no availability.

I'll be there next week.

I tried the website Huitres gave, but it seems like I don't have enough time either because I'm leaving Friday.

I guess walking up late in the afternoon sounds like the best option. Has anyone tried this?

I'll consult my hotel too. I'm staying at Ariston. Thanks!