Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Last Supper Attire (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/last-supper-attire-699339/)

ppalette Apr 23rd, 2007 10:32 AM

Last Supper Attire

I will be visiting the last supper in June w/ my family, which includes my 2 neices. In the past the girls have not been allowed into the Vatican due to improper attire
(arms showing etc..) Do these same rules apply for the last supper?

Girlspytravel Apr 23rd, 2007 10:41 AM

P-are you talking about in Milan, il Cenacolo at Santa Maria delle Grazie? If so, yes, I can tell you for a fact that they are quite strict in Milan about attire in churches; arms covered (I had very short sleeves and lightweight cotton pants-that was fine), and they were turning away people left and right at the entrance to the Duomo this past August, literally inspecting each person's clothing before allowing them inside.

I remember this because the guards were pretty officious-I told one of them to say "per favore" to me, which he did, because I didn't like his ordering tone!

j_999_9 Apr 23rd, 2007 10:42 AM

I'm sorry, but my first response to this post was going to be: "Oh, probably long, flowing robes, sandals and a beard would work well."
No, I have no idea what the real answer is.

knoxvillecouple Apr 23rd, 2007 10:51 AM

Not to be irreverent, j_999_9, but well done.

:)

KC

ppalette Apr 23rd, 2007 11:08 AM

Yes, I was tlaking about il Cenacolo at Santa Maria delle Grazie. Thank you Girlspytravel. This is exactily what I needed to know! Grazie~!

cupid1 Apr 23rd, 2007 11:16 AM

I guess I'm confused. As everywhere else, expect displays of bare shoulders, knees, midriffs, armpits and cleavage to be barred, regardless of age or sex. But none of those things are truly appropriate daywear for the streets of any large city, let alone a religious institution. Gipsy, I'm surprised at you.

The girls should wear tops with enough sleeve that the actual armhole and the top half of their arms are covered. When in doubt it is best to err on the side of respectful modesty, ESPECIALLY in the northern cities.

It's a priveledge to enter, not a right, and houses of worship or places of religious reflection should enforce appropriately modest, respectful attire as a requirement for entrance to view the art within. After all, not so long ago the correct attire for worship included headcovering and skirts for women.

Girlspytravel Apr 23rd, 2007 11:26 AM

"Girlspy, I'm surprised at you." Sorry Cupid, this isn't computing-just exactly what is it that you're surprised about? The fact that I was appropriately attired, and therefore, did not get turned away, or what?

PalenQ Apr 23rd, 2007 11:58 AM

WWJD? he no doubt would let anyone in. Today he may well not be let in it seems.

Tulips Apr 23rd, 2007 12:35 PM

"correct attire for worship included headcovering and skirts for women".

When I went there, there was an American lady, wearing a pink sparkly cowboy hat. From Texas I presume.
But not wearing tank tops and short shorts or skirts would be a good idea.

ppalette Apr 25th, 2007 05:09 AM

Thank you all for your answers. I was not trying to start an argument. I just wanted to cover my bases. The last time we were at the Vatican their arms we're not covered, hence they weren’t allowed in until we bought shawls. They are American girls and have been raised in a different society. I like the Italian rule of respect, but in the end they are not my kids and wanted back up to insure their entrance. Girlspytravel was helpful. Thanks all

Michael Apr 25th, 2007 07:44 AM

It might be best to not tell them what to wear, and if they are not admitted, the lesson about proper attire might eventually sink in.

Cicerone Apr 25th, 2007 08:03 PM

The rules on dress apply when entering a church. However, the fresco is NOT in a church, it is in the refectory of the convent. There is no dress code of which I am aware. However, if you want to visit the church which is part of the convent, your nieces should be dressed appropriately, or if you want to go on to the Duomo from there.