Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last night in Rome-stay near the airport or not?

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight leaves at 10:40 on a Saturday morning. We'll be travelling from Capri on Friday. Should we just call it a vacation and stay near the airport or pick someplace fabulous and stretch it out one more night? Any hotels you love?

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Hi - I've got an even earlier flight (8:50am) so am staying last night at the Rome Airport Hilton, which is connected to the airport.
The Posta Vecchia is super fabulous and 35 minutes or so from the airport...we're having dinner there the night before we leave, but wanted to be sure to return the rental car in time and to get to the airport really early.
Ciao!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much-I will look at that one!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Our flights usually leave Rome about 7 am. Only once did we stay near the airport. We stay in the city center and use Rome Shuttle Limousine and it works out great for us.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

What hotel do you stay in?
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM

For convenience, the Rome Hilton can't be beat! Just a short walk through the walkway and you're there. I love it for a stress-free departure. Don't expect a warm fuzzy feeling from the staff, though. And don't, whatever you do, bother to eat there. You'd be better off eating airport food!$24 for a dry hamburger about the size of a White Castle? Anyone know of a decent AND convenient restaurant nearby?
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM

We are staying at the hilton garden inn (I've heard good things, but it's my first trip to Rome). I feel more secure knowing we will be just a few minutes from the airport.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM

S T R E T C H it out!!

No way I'd stay near the airport!

Why not stay in the centre of Rome, perhaps the Pantheon area, and do a lovely evening walk (passegiata).

A nice walk would be from Pantheon to Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain and back to the Pantheon. How lovely to see all the monuments/ fountains lit up at night!

You could have dinner in a lovely restaurant/trattoria at a reasonable cost. Perhaps even a walk to see the Colosseum lit up at night!

I'd organise for a private pick-up from your hotel to the airport. I use Romecabs they are fast, efficient, courteous and it cost 45 euro for the 2 of us with all our baggage, cheaper than a cab!!

http://www.romecabs.com/

It's not that far to the airport so my suggestion would be to stay in the centre of Rome.

For top-end accommodation which is quite expensive but really beautiful is the Albergo del Senato directly opposite the Pantheon.

For more reasonably priced accommodation and still really lovely is the B&B Baldassini. We stayed there last June and I am returning to stay again in March.

Here are the reviews I found for the Baldassini which convinced me to stay and to return again in March:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html

As a past guest I have a discount code (BBB777) which you are most welcome to use to obtain a small discount on your accommodation. Just quote the code should you decide to book.

I think you will be glad you decided to stay nearer the centre than waiting around out near the airport.

If you need restaurant suggestions just let me know.

Here are some just off the top of my head, I can find more if you need them.

* L'Orso 80
* Alla Rampa
* Armandos al Pantheon
* Navona Notte
* Ristorante der Pallaro
* Il Bacaro

Navona Notte has fantastic food at very reasonable prices. Here is their menu and pricelist:

http://www.navonanotte.it/il-nostro-menu.html

Have a great holiday.

Melissa

www.baldassinibeb.it
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Aussiegirl-thank you for your kind and thoughtful reply. I will check out the B&B ASAP.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM

I have eaten at most of the restaurants that Aussiegirl recommends.

If the object in going into central Rome for a final night is to make the last hours fabulous, I would not necessarily proffer that list of establishments.

Specifically, I would not make Orso 80 or La Rampa (which I like and recomend for a no-frills evg) my last meal. And I will never eat again at ghastly, hokey Der Pallaro.

Bacaro...Cantina del Vecchio... Montevecchio....Pierluigi (frequently recommended to me but I have yet never eaten there): These are all better bets, in that neighbourhood. For homey, plain, succulent cooking: Osteria del Pegno.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

The Baldissini was booked so we are staying at the Hotel Julia the last night. Of course right after I booked I looked at another listing with a rooftop terrace-the grass is always greener!

tedgale-thanks for the restaurant suggestions. Which one is your favorite? Where is it?
Thanks so much!
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM

TT
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:54 AM
LHS

We had a 6:15am Rome flight and had no problem with our hotel in the Trevi fountain area arranging a cab for 3:45am. In fact one other guest needed to leave at the same time & we agreed to share the cab & split the cost.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:05 AM

We booked BB Queen bed & breakfast which is located about two blocks behind Termini. There is another B&B called BB Little Queen. Has anyone comments on where this is located. We are leaving Rome at 5:45AM by Rome Shuttle to FCO. We will be arriving Termini on Sat. afternoon from Orvieto and spend two nights there. Should I look further?
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM

We had this EXACT situation this past May:

Left Capri on Friday AM and had a 10:30am flight out of FCO on Saturday. We stayed in Rome near Campo dei Fiori and had a driver take us to the airport. We left Rome at 7:30 but you could leave as late as 8:00 AM. We ferried to Naples, took a train and arrived at Rome Termini about 1:00pm - checked into hotel at 1:30. We did a LOT between 1:30 and 9:30 pm in Rome. A good, central location helped a lot.

Stay in Rome!
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I am actually looking forward to the last day/night in Rome with ABSOLUTELY no plans! I can see lots of people watching and cafe time...
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM

I can see lots of people watching and cafe time...

May I suggest a wine bar called Sangallo on Piazza San Salvatore (on Via dei Coronari) - on a charming little piazza with GREAT snacks, wine and people watching...
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM

Considering the time of your flight, I would definitely stay in Rome. When we last left FCO we had a very early flight so stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. It was OK. Staff was nice, rooms were very nice, airport transportation from the hotel to the airport was punctual. But food and beverages very expensive and very mediocre.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM

I would recommend staying near the Stazione Termini. We like the Domus Praetoria. We then take the train to the airport. Faster than any taxi. costs not much. maybe 12 euro

Kevin from California
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

bardo1-I am adding it to my list-thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -