Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last Night in Rome: Stay in city center or hotel near FCO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have few questions for all those experienced with those Rome departures that require arriving at FCO around rush hour for a late a.m. flight. We will be staying near Borghese/Barberini. Our flight leaves at 11:20 a.m. on a Tuesday, which I assume means we should get to the airport around 8:30 a.m. to allow time for check-in, customs, security, etc. Or is that too much time?

Also, how much time do we need for departure from the city to arrive at the airport during rush hour via cab or shuttle service?

Or alternatively, would it be better to spend the night at a hotel neighboring the airport?

I understand there may be multiple opinions on this, so I'm hoping that you also share your experiences with your various decisions on where to stay.

Thanks so much!!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I'd stay in the city center . Leaving at 7:30 should be no problem. Rome cabdrivers are crazy, so sit back and relax as they will be speeding all the way!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM
pdx

That really is a difficult decision, isn't it? I go through this process every trip. It's good to stay a last night in the city, but a bit more relaxed and confident knowing you're only 5 minutes from the airport.
I don't go out at night very often, so after dinner I'm usually in for the evening so the airport hotel works great. In the morning it's easy to pull yourself together and shower, eat, pack and shuttle over by 0830.
Our last night in Toulouse we had the best dinner of our trip at an airport hotel.
Our cabdrivers in Rome have been great. The cab company will tell you what time to leave for the airport when you call to reserve.
Decisions, decisions.......
p.s. I love Rome, sigh. It's the one big city I'm always happy to return to over and over.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM

I would plan to arrive at the airport two hours before departure. I would stay in Rome the night before since your flight does not leave at the crack of dawn.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Just my opinion, but I would never stay at the airport, especially for an 11:20 flight. I just returned from Rome, and my flight left at 6:00 am. I still stayed in my apartment just off the Piazza Navona. I wouldn't give up my last night in Rome just to be able sleep a little longer in the morning! You have plenty of time to get there.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM

I've had a similar timeframe as yours and stayed at my hotel in the center. You could get up at 6 AM and still have plenty of time to shower, eat and leave. I would not leave the packing for that morning though - have most of it sorted and just leave out enough to get showered and dressed in the AM.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Definitely stay in the city! Why waste a perfectly good night in Rome? Have your transportation to the airport pre-arranged, pack your bags ahead of time and enjoy your last night! Especially for an 11:20 flight - no question.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM

With a 11:20 a.m. flight, I would recommend staying in the city. Last September, we had a 6:15 a.m. flight out of FCO. So we stayed at the Holiday Inn EUR Parco dei Medici, near FCO. We arrived there at 3 p.m. in the afternoon - we were famished, had decided to forego eating in Rome and just grab something in the hotel neighborhood. Unfortunately, there is NO hotel neighborhood - just one mediocre restaurant for business travelers and the hotel restaurants were closed until 8 p.m. (when we wanted to get ready for bed). So stay in Rome, enjoy a memorable meal and take a last stroll in your Roman neighborhood.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for affirming my thoughts! I was hoping we could stay in Rome, if only so as not to switch hotels for the last evening and to take a few last ganders at local sights. I'm glad to hear that we will be able to have plenty of time in the a.m. to get to the airport!