Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   last night in ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/last-night-in-ireland-517989/)

pbjhhunt Apr 2nd, 2005 09:04 PM

last night in ireland

well - thanks to all the help we've received from all the wonderful people here most of our trip is generally planned. we're a little lost on the last night however. we'll have spent most of saturday, all sunday thru to monday in dublin. in case we'll still be seeing things in dublin before we leave there monday we don't want to go too far. i've looked at Dalky & Dun Laoghaire. we'd like to spend a nice final night without killing ourselves (and hopefully hear more music). is this a good place to go. any help or thoughts appreciated. thanks again. I hope this doesn't post twice - i tried earlier and it didn't seem to take - my computer i suppose. if it does i apologize.

cambe Apr 3rd, 2005 01:11 AM

Dalky & Dun Laoghaire are really residental extensions of south Dublin. Dalky in particular is very posh (lots of famous rock bands live there) and it is very cosmopolitian. If you have time I would go there during the day and walk from Dalky to Killiney, the view over Dublin bay is breathtaking. You can get the dart from Dublin there and back and spend your last night in Dublin where there would be more varity in terms of pubs with music. Your itinary is centred mostly around western Ireland and you will find the eastern coast very different and in my opinion - nicer (but I am baised). Have a lovely trip to Ireland and maybe next time you will think of discovering the beauties of the eastern coast.

pbjhhunt Apr 3rd, 2005 04:47 AM

thanks for the input - i know we've neglected the east but but at some point in the planning something had to go. as it is there are a couple points where i feel we're going to feel rushed so they may change a bit too. 10 days just isn't long enough.

SiobhanP Apr 3rd, 2005 10:26 AM

When are you going? I think there my be some weekend closures of the Dart again for further works in the coming months. I am sure I heard this on the Radio but the website says nothing at the moment. Any Southsiders out there that can confirm this? This would be a deciding factor to me.

cailin Apr 4th, 2005 01:10 AM

yes, I'm pretty sure there are DART closures at weekends throughout the summer on the southbound lines.

vikhawk Apr 4th, 2005 03:35 AM

For you last night in Ireland, I suggest going to the Abbey Tavern in Howth and listening to the music and/or having dinner. Dinner and music is 50 euros and music only is 15 euros. However, they only sell music only places if they don't sell out for dinner. Howth is just northeast of Dublin and the DART goes there. I usually stay at a B&B near the airport and then drive to Howth for the evening. A great final night in Ireland.

cailin Apr 4th, 2005 04:37 AM

from the DART website -
From the beginning of June 2005 to 10/11 September, remaining accessibility works on the Southside will be undertaken, affecting weekend services.

mexicobeachbum Apr 4th, 2005 02:06 PM

We stayed at the San Augustine in Swords. It's a very comfortable B&B in a very walkable town near the airport. The hostess is a peach, and the house is nicely restored.

pbjhhunt Apr 5th, 2005 02:30 PM

Thanks for your replies. We're going have our last night on a Monday and I think we're probably going to just collect all information (the printer is really getting a workout) and basically wing it on the last night. I'm sure by the time we've gotten through 8 other nights we'll have been overwhelmed by the multiple places people will suggest. And who knows, we may have decided there's just someplace we have to see by that point. Again. Thanks.