Last night in Ireland

Search

Last night in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night in Ireland

We are planning our next visit to Ireland for May. Typically we stay close to the Shannon airport, but this time we are looking not to spoil it. Our flight is at 9:10AM so we need to stay somewhat close. Are there any *incredible* recommendations for a place within an hour or so of the airport? Would appreciate town and B&B...

Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:36 PM

Hi again:

Have you been to the town of Killaloe on Loogh Derg? It's a nice little town probably no more an hour from the airport. I've only stayed there once, just this past November and the B&B (which I don't remember the name of) was not INCREDIBLE. There are a few places that look nice in the T&C book. You'll see a less tourism here than in Bunratty.

Bill
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Bill, thanks. We have not been to Lough Derg yet. I'll check it out on the net.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:38 PM

sklimo,

If you're hankering to get off the well-trod tourist trail while checking into a memorable accommodation, then have a peek at Clifden House (http://www.indigo.ie/hiddenireland/9.html).

Clifden House is wonderfully situated along the shores of Lake Inchiquin, in the town of Corofin, County Clare. It's about a 30-minute drive to Shannon Airport. An impressive Georgian residence, the house has four rooms, all with private bath, and makes an ideal base for explorations of the Burren and, of course, the village of Corofin. The village, incidentally, is steeped in history and features a well-preserved tower house and high cross.

A stay at Cliden House would be a fine way to conclude your Irish holiday.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:27 PM

David,

Just an fyi, I'd noticed that the Hidden Ireland link off of their old ISP has since been closed. I remembered that I'd bookmarked another address for Clifden House some time back that seemed to be their own site, in case you might want an alternate for future use.

http://www.clifdenhouse-countyclare.ie/
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:11 PM
sss

With the orange alert in place you have to get to the airport before dawn for such an early flight. I would not want to drive an extra hour at that time of morning. Give me the extra hour of sleep any time. I would stay near the airport.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:02 AM

For a 09:10 depsrture they'll probably start check-in around 06:30. If you're leaving your hotel or B&B before 06:00 you probably will not be able to get breakfast and the Cafeteria at Shannon doesn't open until 07:00. So you'll probably want to check-in early & go to the Cafeteria on the upper level after you've checked in. You can pass thru another security check-point into the duty-free area on that same level (They did a preliminart security check at check-in and a final one at the boarding gate).
P.S.
The Queen's Hotel in Ennis knocked off five Euro from my B&B rate when I told them I was leaving at 06:00 to catch an early bus to Shannon - I took a taxi to the bus/train station and caught an 06:20 bus to Shannon. It got me to Shannon airport at 07:00. I don't particularly recommend the Queen's Hotel (other than for the fact that it is adjacent to Cruise's Pub) but I had been 'bumped' off a flight the day before and it was 'any port in a storm.' I would recommend the Temple Gate Hotel in Ennis.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:31 AM

Not clear as to your time frame in Ireland and why you want to stay close to Shannon. Several have given good tips on places close by and there are others you can discover in a guide book.

Are you on limited stay or what? If your flight back to U. S. is indeed 9:10 a.m. that does dictate a closer stay the night before (in 2001 we stayed
at a very nice B&B not far from Bunratty).

Bill at [email protected]
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

All good thoughts on the security alert. I had neglected to take that into account.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Make sure when you rent your car that you inform them what time you will be arriving to return the car. In November, when we arrived at 6:30, only Dan Dooley was open to accept returns. Fortunately, someone from Budget came screaming in to take our check in and drive us back to the terminal.

Bill
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:48 AM
cd

sklimo
Have you ever stayed at Dromoland? Our first castle experience and we loved it! I believe it is www.dromoland.ie