Last-minute trip to Paris

Aug 31st, 2006, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Last-minute trip to Paris

I'm suddenly going to Paris in a few weeks, and very happy about it. I've been there before, but not for a while. My first challenge seems to be a hotel. Looking for a 3 star, under $200 per night for a room, and I really want to stay again in the 1st arrondissement again if I can, I really prefer it to the left bank. There must be a lot of tourism in Paris in late September or early October because I've contacted a few right bank hotels (1st, 2nd) already (The Favart, the Etats-Unis Opera, Tuileries,Brighton,Louvre-Montana) and they are fully booked. I really don't want a two star, and I don't want even a hint of shabby.
Do you have any suggestions?

Also,how about one great bistro, middle price range ( $75-100 pp) with excellent French food and an atmosphere with some "buzz" to it. Someone suggested Dominique Bouchet which I think is new, at least to me. Are l'Avant Gout, L'Epi Dupin, La Regalade, Le Pre Verre, Le Square Trousseau, Wadja, Balzar, still great?
Aug 31st, 2006, 08:02 PM

Early October is fashion week-I've been told that is the busiest time of the year for hotels (we are going then, too, but we rented an apt. 6 months ago).
Aug 31st, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

oh, that explains why a couple of hotels did have rooms to offer for a couple of nights at the end of Sep. but nothing as of the beginning of October.
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:02 PM

You may want to check venere.com for availability. There are plenty of 3*'s under €200. Obviously, you'd want to check reviews on TripAdvisor, and also rates directly with the hotels (usually Venere rates are about the same, but sometimes, inexplicably, they're higher).

Sep 1st, 2006, 12:48 AM

We just stayed 1 night in the Hotel Therese (http://www.hoteltherese.com), a 3 star in the 1st arrondissement. And although the rooms were absolutely tiny, everything else was perfect. Do ask for a room on a floor with a high ceiling (like the 3rd). We payed 116€ as a summer special, but normally their cheapest rooms are 136€.
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:36 AM

djk,

Julienas' budget for a spotless, left bank, 3 star, hotel is not "under €200", it's under €156 per night (before taxes?).

Julienas,

A great restaurant well within your budget is "A La Petit Chaise". It's more about the cooking than the "buzz" (did you mean media buzz?) but the atmoshpere is very nice too.