Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last minute trip planning - Tips for small coastal area

Apr 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

My fiance and I are planning our Honeymoon to begin the 17th of May in Italy. We are flying into Rome but don't really want to spend a lot of time there, two nights tops. I want to stay in Perugia for several nights and my fiance wants to visit some ruins so I was thinking Spoleto would be a nice day trip from there.

That gets me to my questions, we don't know where we want to stay the other 4 nights. Somewhere coastal with a small town feel. I was thinking of the Cinque Terre area but am afraid it may be crowded. Has anyone been in May? If it is crowded any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Apr 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM

May I suggest Venice for its romance and serenity...
Apr 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM

You really need to pull out a map of Italy with your fiancee, as well as look at some guidebooks or get more help or else your honeymoon could turn into a lot of arguing.

Perugia is really not convenient to the Cinque Terre. I live near Cinque Terre, and if Perugia were close by, I'd go there all the time. Cinque Terre is almost always crowded, but there are many other towns on the pretty coast where you could go, although it's very skimpy on ruins (other than Luni).

I love Perugia, but once you are there it is not easy to see either ruins -- if you mean Roman ruins -- or the sea. Why do you have your heart set on going?

Also, in Umbria (where Perugia is) there are more interesting small towns than Spoleto. Try using a website like Bella Umbria

From Perugia, you might have a wonderful time staying on Lake Trasimeno.

Some people find Venice serene and romantic, and most people have never experience car-free Perugia. Venice can be very crowded with tourists, and if you are more interested in hilltowns and small towns, that's not it. However, nearby Verona has a great Roman arena.

If you don't need to go Perugia, you could have a marvelous time combining Rome with places south of there. You could include Pompeii, and you should look for a small coastal town near Paestum to get away from the tourists in places like Positano. Consider some place like Vietri sul Mare (near Salerno), and use boats and buses to visit Capri and the famous Amalfi coast.

I
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Why Perugia? It's a nice town, but a odd choice for a honeymoon and for "several days." Ditto Spoleto. I think you haven't done much research and need guidebooks and a good map.

Yes, Cinque Terre will be crowded in May, and combining it with Perugia makes little sense geographically.

You could head south from Rome and visit Anzio and Sperlonga and Gaeta and then even farther to the Amalfi Coast. Or, you could do the opposite and head to Venice, which is arguably the world's most romantic city.

But first you need to do some basic homework. And it's getting really late in terms of booking hotels.
Apr 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM

How many nites do you have in Italy?
Do you fly home from Rome?
Is a car an option for you?
What do you mean by ruins?
Why Perugia?

We need more facts!
Apr 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Now I am concerned about Perugia. I have read several articles about Perugia in different traveler magazines and it seemed great. Maybe I should rethink it. One article named it as one of the sexiest cities.

As for the amount of time. 9 nights and we are flying into Rome. We aren't renting a car in Rome but may rent one after we reach our next desitination. We do return from Rome as well.
Apr 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Are you aware that Perugia is a large rather ugly city with a very nice centro storico and a major University. What is it you are after? There are better choices if you want quaint and medieval.
Apr 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM

While Perugia is a nice place to visit, I wouldn't call it "one of the sexiest cities".

Fly into Rome and upon arrival rent a car at the airport and drive to southern Tuscany (Val d'Orcia area) and relax at a nice agriturismo with a pool. Sleep in, tour the small villages, have lunch and then nap by the pool in the late afternoon. 7 days of heaven.

When you leave this area, drop the car off in the nearby town of Chiusi and catch the train from there to Rome.

Or, since you want to spend some time on the coast, the Amalfi Coast is a nice place for a honeymoon and not too far from Rome. Split your time between Positano and Capri.