Last Minute Trip: Itinerary Critique

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading and have been so impressed at how helpful everyone is. This is my first trip to Ireland and is last minute so I'm getting things together and would love some feedback!

FYI- we are a couple in our 30's who like everything (a good balance of fun/relaxation) and are renting a car for the trip (doing the MasterCard insurance thing). My husband is a big "car guy" and wanted to do the manual thing. At least we won't be driving the first few days...

9/5 (Sun)arrive Dublin midday(would have preferred Shannon airport) staying at Fitzwilliam Hotel for 3 nights. I'm not so worried about the Dublin portion of the trip -- I've read lots of good advice and we are staying where we can walk to many areas -- we got a great hotel price thanks to this site -- it was worth us checking into it!

9/8 (Wed) drive to Galway/Doolin area -- debating staying at Cregg Castle for 1 night then Ballinalaken Castle second night. Want to see the Cliffs of Moher, maybe Aran Islands, Galway, Doolin, etc.

9/10 (Fri) Long driving day again - want to get to Dingle Pn and at least stop for lunch or something in Kilrush -- think we will take the Ferry at Killimer to cut down on drive time. Heard from all of you that The Shores is the place in Dingle and will more than likely stay there (it is open, too)

9/11 (Sat) Travel from Dingle to Killarney and spend a day in the park, as well as the following day on the ROK. Hope to stay 2 nights here but having trouble finding "The Lodge" on the internet -- any other suggestions for B&B, guest house, or hotel accomodations?

9/13 (Mon) Drive to Cahir and Cashel to visit Castles, probably stay in Kilkenny one night. Any lodging suggestions?

9/14 (Tues) Work our way back to Dublin to stay near the airport -- again, any lodging suggestions that are very close to the airport? We fly out on 9/15 from Dublin.

I was going back and forth over whether to spend 2 nights in the Galway/Doolin area, Dingle Pn, or Killarney. What do you guys think -- I'd appreciate any advice Thanks in advance!

Kimmer
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Kimmer:

We are about to leave for our first trip to Ireleand so I can only tell you that we have planned a very similar trip (but with a little time in Connemara first, instead of Dublin, and two nights in Kinsale as well). So, I think your plan sounds good!

We are also staying at Ballinalacken (Doolin - 1 night), The Shores (Castlegregory - 2 nights) and The Lodge (Kenmare - 1 night) (www.thelodgekenmare.com, e-mail: [email protected]) but I think a day after you most of the way.

Rather than stay in Kilkenny, we are staying further south (nearer Clonmel) at Glasha Farmhouse and plan to do Cashel, Cahir while there and hit Kilkenny on our way back to Dublin.

We are also flying out of Dublin and staying at Red Bank Lodge in Skerries. Not the closest to the airport but close enough.

I'm sure others with more experience can give more input. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:51 PM

We stayed at Carriglea House on Muckross Road, just outside of Killarney Town Center and just north of the entrance to Muckross House. 35 Euro per person, sharing. Nice, two room suite (bedroom, sitting room and a large bath, Upstairs, in the converted Carraige House. Phenominal view of the lake. Recommend it highly.
You are not leaving yourself much time to Tour Slea Head, etc. on 9/10, and I would recommend doing it, over ROK. The Shores is not in Dingle Town and you'll have to drive Connor Pass to get to it Something you need to do AT LEAST once) but you might not want to do so after an evening in the pubs in Dingle. Can recommend the Lighthouse B&B in Dingle as an alternative.
On 9/11, the Lodge is in Kenmare, but whether you stay there, or in Killarney, the drive through the Gap past Ladies View is well worth it.
Enjoy!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 02:24 PM

I've stayed at Ross Castle Lodge in Killarney and loved it - great place near Ross Castle.
http://killarneyb-and-b.com/RossPage1.htm
kathy
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Skip the ROK, drive Slea Head and spend some time in Killarney National Park instead. Slea Head is gorgeous and oh so magical. Definitely take the ferry, it does cut down on the driving time. We found making our way through Tralee was tricky- very poor signage (and no, it couldn't have been the navigator because that was me. )

We are also staying at the Shores for one night but are also including a night in Dingle so we can pubcrawl safely.

Ireland is the perfect trip for us. Imagine spending the day in the most incredible scenery followed by a night in a pub, drinking beer, and listening to live music. Fabulous! (b)

Pack clothes that can be layered but don't take a bulky sweater. Just buy one there. You will love all the wovens and linens there. Tuck in a foldable duffel bag so you can carry home all your purchases. On Slea Head in Ballyferriter, stop at Louis Mulcahy's pottery shop. First time my DH ever saw me not buy anything when I so obviously loved it- I was afraid that if I started, I might not stop! (He did buy me a piece off the net at Christmas and had it shipped.)

There is also a great linen shop in Dingle- can't remember the name now. Something like Grandmother's Attic?

Try the meat flavored crisps~ We also bought a steak and kidney pie from a gas station. The steak part was great, the kidney... um, not so much.

I'll shut up now.

Diane

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Wow! -- I knew I liked this site...

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming

We have decided to skip ROK and stay around Dingle a second night so we can not only see Slea Head and spend some time there, but keep the trip on a good relaxing pace (OK, maybe there will be a few pub crawls...) Thanks.

Based on that, POlson, we may cross paths afterall. Thanks for the advice on where to stay near that last night, I am looking into it.

Italian_Chauffer - will be sure to drive past the Gap in Ladie's View -- got it on the agenda I kept gravitating toward the ROK but you have me convinced -- just what I needed. Thanks.

Kathcoll - Thanks, we're checking into Ross Castle Lodge in Killarney.

Diane - Thanks on the advice on shopping and packing too. Everything helps. You sound as excited as I am about the whole thing and I haven't even been there yet! Can you imagine what my trip report will look like??

Thanks to all. Keep any advice coming.

Kimmer
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Kimmer:

We'll see you Saturday night. We are at The Shores Saturday and Sunday. Then off to Kenmare for a night, and on to Kinsale ...

Have a terrific trip. Here's hoping the weather is nice. But, we are ready to buy a sweater if it's not!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Personally, I think you are trying to squeeze too much into a 6-day loop, given that you will spend the first 3-nights and your final night in Dublin.

Maybe you should look into what is happening: the Listowel (County Kerry) Horse 'meet,' where people come from all over to buy the famous Irish T'breds (2nd week in Sep.); and in Co. Clare, not far from Doolin or the Cliffs of Moher, the Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking festival that 'kicks off' about that same time.

I've had excellent luck with Ireland's September weather (from the point of view of a golfer) from west Clare to Connemara and to westernmost County Mayo (Carne Golf links).

When President Bush visited Ireland a short time ago, his entourage stayed in a Castle near Kilkee - it looked beautiful on TV.

I'm a septuagenarian who likes to do Ireland at a leisurely pace: play some golf, drink a few pints of 'the black stuff' and enjoy Traditional Irish music wherever I can. I couldn't handle a fast-paced itinerary like you propose.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Hi Kimmer:

You'll be doing a lot of driving but I'm sure you'll have fun. I presume that on the day from the Galway area to Dingle you plan to stop at the Cliffs of Moher. It will be a very full day but it can be done. If you are staying the one night at Ballinalacken Hotel, that will take some time off the drive though I really like Cregg. Say hi to Pat and Anne Marie for me. She'll probably remember me as the guy who sent her the drum patch. I'll be seeing her in May.

One thing you might consider, especially if you are staying in Kenmare, is to take a an early evening drive along the south coast of the RoK if you have the time. The Rok gets blasted by lots of people, but i think there are some beautiful spots. The little town of Sneem is pretty and the view from Coomakesta Pass is beautiful. We did the evening drive there once and it was great. Nobody on the roads.

Bill
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:15 AM

Re. my 8/30 post: President Bush stayed at Dromoland Castle in far SW County Clare the last week of June when he visited an EU summit meeting.

I posted a few of my fotos on this site: http://groups.msn.com/IrelandPictures-GolfMore
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM

We just stayed at Cregg Castle a couple weeks ago, after having stayed there 4 years ago. Great people, nice breakfast, beautiful grounds. Don't overlook the walk out to the small cemetary nearby, it's a great stroll, and very picturesque. In the evening, you can hang around the great room while Ann Marie and Pat, the owners, play some traditional Irish tunes. You'll still have time to hit a local pub if you need more music. Our family loves the place.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 01:06 PM

Another vote for Cregg. We loved it in '99. Also don't wish to discourage any part of Ireland .. ROK really IS breath taking, but, you can only do so much on a limited schedule. Given your timeline, Slea Head packs more bang to the mile, in my opinion, but even a bad day on the ROK beats a good day at work!