Sicily Hotels (Selinute or Agrigento)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2003, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to western Sicily in October 2003. Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Selinunte or Argigento. We have heard a lot about Hotel Villa Athena but it seems very pricey and in need of some renovations. We like smaller places with character, preferably under $150. US.
Any adivse or help you have will be greatly appreciate. Thank you.
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:11 PM

I'd be interested in finding out about a place to stay in Agrigento some time in the future. My family came from that region/town and will visit it some day.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 05:50 AM

Good morning, have been very satisified with the HOTEL JOLLY in Argigento. Had very good rooms, better
than average dining room and a very nice
pool.. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Have not stayed in Selinunte, so can
not recommend... rjv
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:42 AM

If you like to e-mail me [email protected]
I wll send my notes on Sicily which include a hotel in each.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 09:08 AM

Hi-
I just got back from a week in Sicily last Monday. If you click on my screen name, you'll see a posting I did a few days ago of my notes.
We stayed at the Villa Athena in Agrigento. I too had read the criticisms and yes, they are founded. The place is in bad need of new paint and wallpaper. The decor is nothing special. It's all about the view of the temples (which is stunning).
We arrived without reservations and spent about an hour driving around Agrigento looking for a place to stay. We checked out the Baglio della Luna which was beautiful, but offered us only a tiny room looking onto the courtyard for $200 a night.
We looked at the Hotel Kaos on the beach, and it was $140 a night with a view of the water, but a charmless room and far from town.
So, we decied to take the Villa Athena for a cash deal made with the desk clerk for $140 a night. I'm sure the cash went into his pocket, because he was very hesitant to give me a receipt, and then only gave me a slip of paper, nothing "official". Breakfast was decent however, a bit better than the usual coffee and bread.
Near Selinute is a town on the beach called Porto Paolo. You should go to a restaurant out there called Da Vittorio's on the beach. We had the most amazing meal there. They also rent rooms for 70 E a night.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:04 AM
GAC

In Selinunte, check out the Hotel Garzia and the Hotel Alceste. In Agrigento, check out Hotel Amici, in the square of the Central Train Station (buses leave from here to the Valley of the Temples below).
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:53 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Colleverde in Agrigento? Frommer's Sicily and a couple of other guide books give it good reviews and mention that it has great views of the temples. I've emailed them a couple of times for October and finally sent them a fax today.
Thanks! Lisa
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:47 AM

In 2000 we stayed in Selinunte-Marinella at a 2* hotel, Lido Azzurro - clean and airy and simple with an excellent restaurant overlooking the sea - one of the best meals ever! We had half board at L100,000 each which seemed high until we had the fabulous dinner. Only a short walk to the wonderful temples.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:22 PM

We were in Sicily last month and stayed
at Colleverde for one night. It's a nice, modern hotel with great views of
the Valley of the Temples. Very nice, large terrace overlooking the temples. We were lucky and wound-up with a room with a view of the temples - one of the highlights of our trip to Sicily. We had dinner at hotel restaurant and found the food to be pretty average.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:13 PM

We stayed at Hotel Kaos near Agrigento. Huge pool, acres of marble, substandard rooms. Very strange place. Would not recommend.

But would recommend a wonderful restaurant on way to Selinute at Menfi, on the beach front: Ristorante di Vittorio. Best seafood we ever ate. Address is Via Friuli Venezia Giulia.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:52 AM
GAC

With a name like Kaos, I'd be reluctant to try it out.