Last minute tips for family of 3 to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I have read here quite a bit but never posted. So please be patient.
I am asking for all of your travelling veteran advice for our family trip in May. My husband, my 12 year old son and myslef are going to Paris, second time for my husband and I and first time for my son. I want to make this as smooth as possible so if there is anything that I have over looked please advise.

- We have our plane tickets in hand.
- We have reserved an apartment for the 8 days (thought it would be easier and less commercialized than a hotel)
- Copy all papers & credit cards 2 x's, one to leave here for emergencies and one to carry with us.
- After reading several posts I plan to get a notarized letter from my ex-husband as my son is from a previous marriage. (it seems less of a bother to get it & not use it rather than need it and not have it - I guess that is a no-brainer huh??)
- Call credit card company to find out if they all charge a service fee (or whatever they call it to let you use the card abroad) and let them know that I will be abroad (don't want them to shut it off when we need it!!)
- Pack and finish all tasks a week before hand as I always seem to think I can get to things "later"

So with all that said I hope yu all can address anything I have missed. I appreciate all of the information and thank you ahead of time!!

- Michelle
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:27 PM
ira

Hi mabern,

You do have your passports?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM

Just remember to enjoy yourselves and have a great visit!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:57 PM

Hi Michelle. Sounds like you've got the makings for a great trip!

I don't know if you're a "planner" but, especially when you travel with a child, I find it helpful to have a gameplan of sites you want to see in each area. If you do some research in advance, even if you choose to play it by ear from day to day, at least you'll have an idea of what you and your family want to see/do when you're in a particular area.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:36 AM

I'm all for being flexible and "going with the flow", but agree with Iregeo that you should have a rough gameplan on what to see and do and the best means of transport. Getting your son involved in planning the trip will pay big benefits.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:05 AM

Hi, Michelle... sounds like you're ready to go on this end, but what will you do when you get there? I over-plan, according to my husband, but it's good to have an idea of where you'll be going, where you'll eat, how you'll get around, what museums you want to see, etc. Two of our favorite places are Saint Sulpice and Jardin du Luxembourg, both within walking distance of each other. You might want to take the Batobus, a water taxi with 8 stops along the Seine. It's very reasonably priced, and you can walk from each stop to explore that area. Here is the website:

http://www.batobus.com/english/index.htm

Whatever you do, though, it will be wonderful Have a great trip!

Best,
Sandy
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

To ira: yes we all have passports. My husband and I went for the first time 2 years ago and my son just got his passport 3 months ago, so we are set for that.

To Iregeo, CafeBatavia and Sandypaws3:
I also have the reputation of "over planning" but I am working on that!! I have a rough plan on what to see and it goes as follows:

DAY 1) We arrive at 9:45am. get to apartment in the Latin Quarter and locate all needed businesses such as Monoprix, pharmacy and cyber cafes. We are planning to take it easy this day but we are thinking of seeing the Eiffel Tour. We might try to get the Museum Carte and carnet for subway.

DAY 2) Plan to see the Louvre (just as much as my son can take in), San Chaplle and Conciegerie.

DAY3) Train to Versailles for most of the day and possibly be back to be able to see Notre Dame in the evening.

DAY4) Stroll to the Arc de Triumph, possibly the sewer tour (my sons idea!), Napoleons tomb (might be to much for today) and possibly the Rodin museum.

DAY 5-8) Free days to picnic and see what other things we may find.

As I am sure you can tell we are planning on buying the 3 day pass for my husband and myself so this is the tentative plan for those 3 days, I figure if we can't make it to some of the sights the 6 to 7 euro will not be a big deal to pay for a single entrance on another day.

A few other things we want to see are the Louis Pasteur museum, my son just studied this in school and realized it was in Paris, so that is another one of his choices.
And for me I really want to go to a flea market. Not one that sells the new items but one that I could find authentic older items.
OH! We are also going to take the night river cruise, last time the sites were very beautiful all lit up so we would like to share it with my son.
As far as transportation we plan to walk a lot, I like to see the city but I am sure the way back will be on the subway.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:47 PM

...just some ideas re your son..his sewer tour idea sounds great and i am sure he will enjoy the night cruise on the seine. my boys enjoyed the armour at les invalides..i think the conciergerie can be quite interesting if he is aware of the story..i was also very surprised and delighted by some of my kid's choices of things they wanted to see..i gave them a guide book and they found some wonderful things i hadnt thoughout about or had mentally dismissed as rather unappealing...i am sure you have done this but i would suggest that you bring a guide along so that if some of your plans are not working out, your son can look over the info and help be involved in planning or modifying plans.
your preplaning re the letter from your ex was very wise..sometimes immigration can be extremely sticky (concerns re "abduction" in custody fights).
have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't say whether you know which flea market you are going to. There are two major options, at opposite ends of the city, both open Saturday and Sunday. The Puces de Saint-Ouen is also open Monday, but it is less active on Mondays and some shops are closed.

The Puces de Saint-Ouen is huge and there are permanent market buildings. You go to the Porte de Clignancourt metro station and walk under the Peripherique highway, past the junky shops and new flea markets, then turn left on rue des Rosiers. One of the most picturesque areas of the market is the Marche Vernaison, which you enter on the right side of rue des Rosiers. If you continue on rue des Rosiers and turn left onto rue Paul-Bert, then right into the Marche Paul-Bert, you will find other interesting stalls. Both these markets are outdoor markets with a range of goods including the more affordable. There are also entire buildings with indoor markets that I have not explored, and which might have more expensive antiques. The web site for the Puces de Saint Ouen is:

www.parispuces.com/en

The other option is the Puces de Vanves near the Porte de Vanves metro station. This is a more temporary affair, with vendors setting up booths just for the day. It is much smaller than the Saint Ouen flea market so I found it to be more hit or miss if you are looking for a particular type of item, but it is still fun and many people prefer it.

I don't think you'll find bargains at either place.

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM

To avoid credit card charges, use your bank debit card. You may want to call your bank and tell them you'll be in France. We never have and it's never been a problem but you seem to be a better planner than I.

If you use a PIN that is a word, the French ATM machines do not have letters on them so learn your PIN in numbers.

Sounds like you have planned well. Have a grand time.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:05 PM

Sounds like you have it all under controll. We went for the first time 3 years ago with our then 12 year old daughter. The one thing I would suggest is take a walkman or one of those portable dvd players for the plane trip. It will keep the kid busy and let you get some rest.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:10 PM

Hi Mabern2, Your plan looks great. Some suggestions --I took my son to Paris two years ago (he was 9) and he loved the catacombs and the Roman ruins in front of Notre Dame. He also enjoyed walking tours with paris walks. They are interesting plus there were other children to talk to--poor child, stuck with mom and dad for 10 days. We also took the train to Chartes and he really enjoyed the Malcolm Miller talks. Mr. Miller was wonderful with children. Have a great time, Anne
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Nikki: No I am new at the whole flea market thing, well abroad any way! Thank you for pointing out a few of them for me!!!! This is something I wanted to do last time but we never did.

travelbunny: As far as letting my son choose a few things to do, I think that would be a good idea. I think I will let him look through the book on the plane ride over. That will give him something to do for all that time other than Nintendo! I actually brought him to Barnes & Noble to pick one out and the ones for kids were a bit young for him. The guide book that we are using is one of Rick Steve's, we actually have a few of his. I like his because they are user friendly and good for those of us on a budget, good tips. Also the DVD's go along with them.

On an different note, one thing that we would like to do that for some reason I was apprehensive last time (& the only time) is that I would like to eat a couple meals at a restaurant. The last time we got most meals at the Monoprix and only one time did we eat out and it was Pizza! I know, how adventurous right!!
I think it is because I am unsure of what to order, I don't want to wind up eating something strange. I know I probably sound non-adventurous and in the food arena I am. But I am going go to a restaurant this time, and it won't be pizza!! So any tips in this area would be great! : )
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You're doing great!! Reading guidebooks or magazine articles on the plane ride over is about the most planning I usually do.

Packing light is my favorite thing to recommend (downsize all the bathroom stuff) but maybe less important since you'll be staying in one apartment.

On the first day, the Eiffle Tower in the 7th is a bit of a treck from the 5th, so unless you want to hop a taxi I'd put it off until another day later in your trip and only do the things in the neighborhood your first day like you mentioned.

To avoid having anything too weird, study up (or carry a cheat-sheet with you) on the main French menu words (I'm guessing Rick Steves includes a list?). Beef steak and horse steak look similar in writing. And my friend and I had a hysterical time when he thought he ordered chicken, but because it appeared in the seafood section as far as I could tell, and from what the waiter answered, I thought he ordered octopus (long story short, it turned out to be chicken!). But seriously if you aim for a baked chicken dish you should be OK. Also Italian and Greek restaurants might be easier to figure out.

Safe and happy travels. Bon Voyage!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM

If you are planning to use ATMs you make sure that your pin is 4 digits. You can encounter problems with longer PINS.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:51 AM

We were in Paris 2 summers ago with our sons - ages 9 and 10 at the time. They had a blast - but we made sure that all family members had a special treat.....DisneyParis for the kids(their 1st Disney experience), Willi's Wine Bar for Dad (a favorite), and fun shopping for me!!!

You sound like you have everything under control from a logistics standpoint. The letter from your "ex" is good. We live overseas and I am frequently traveling with my sons without my husband. Even though we are married, I always carry a notorized letter with me allowing me travel with them - JUST to avoid problems!

A couple of things to consider....

The archealogical site just outside Notre Dame is quite interesting - and costs nothing extra with the Carte Musee.

My boys really enjoyed going to the top of the Eiffel Tower (it was a beautiful day) and climbing the steps of the Arc de Triumph.

While walking around Paris is wonderful - be careful to avoid unnecessary "death marches!" Hopping a metro here and there is sometimes a necessity. Also - take frequent breaks - for pommes frittes, ice cream, etc. Growing boys need nourishment!

One of the tricks we use in museums to get our kids interested in the exhibits is to hit the gift shop FIRST - we let the boys pick out postcards of things they think are neat - and then the trick is to "find" their postcards in the museum.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:57 AM
ira

Hi mabern,

You might find this link useful for French menu terms

http://www.ddc.com/cheferic/gloss.htm

I also have a little pocket menu translator from

http://www.travelersmenureader.com
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:40 PM

In Paris you can usually just ask the waiter what a menu item is. Another option would be to tell the waiter what you like, e.g. chicken or lamb, and have him show you what they have. The waiters really do know the food well.

Sometimes when I'm adventurous, I just tell the waiter to bring me whatever he likes best on the menu. I have never been disappointed. You need pretty eclectic tastes for this project!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM

I think it's a good idea to carry a phrasebook that has a special menu category, although some of that can change over time, and it won't be of much help for minor things like individual types of pastry, etc. I find the mini Dover's phrasebooks very useful and they are only a few dollars.

Here is a pretty good online special French food item list which is nice because it categorizes things by meat, preparation terms, etc
http://www.day-tripper.net/restaurantsfoodterms.html

In fact, you should have looked at the posted menus outside restaurants, at least, because many of them in the central area are translated into English, even at some good restaurants--certainly at restaurants better than fast food or pizza places, although I would avoid ones around St-Michel in that warren of streets to the east, as they do have tourist menus but the food is not good. As one example, the Bouillon Racine is a very nice and lovely restaurant just off bd St-Michel in St-Germain, and I am pretty sure it has a menu in English as I've eaten there.

A waiter will tell you the basics (this is chicken, beef, etc), but may not be able to explain preparation, sauces, etc., or really unusual terms, types of berries or flavors, etc., in English. If you are unadventurous, stick to those places with some menus in English if you must, but at least eat in a restaurant.

Don't let some of the things above alarm you, as I have never once in the last 15 years seen horsemeat on a menu in France and I think I read it is banned from being served in restaurants (although sold in markets, as in many European countries). In any case, beef and horse are not at all similar in writing (beef is boeuf and horse is cheval), so there should be no confusion. Although I am almost positive it is banned from restaurants, horsesteak would be "steak de cheval" and definitely labelled differently than beef (which has various names depending on cut and preparation, I prefer a "faux filet" which is a very good, tender cut, much better than the cheaper entrecote or onglet you will see a lot).
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM

We just returned from Paris with a 13 yr old boy and daughters 11 and 8. They loved anything that could be climbed and looked out of: Notre Dame Towers, Pompidou Centre, Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coure Tower.

My son enjoys all things ancient Egyptian, so that is what we focussed on at the Louvre.

Our kids enjoyed the playgrounds at the Tuilleries and the Luxembourg Gardens. They are less "safe" than in the US, thus a lot more fun!

Our son loved the chwarmas from the Latin Quarter and crepes off the street.

One thing: The kids - esp. the 13 year old - were totally wiped out on the day we arrived. We tried to see a few things but they kept falling asleep on benches. I was the only one awake on the Seinne cruise.

Do spend a day or 2 at Disneyland Paris. All major European cities should have Disneyland! It's like taking a vacation from your vacation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -