Last minute tips??

May 24th, 2000, 06:42 AM
bobbie

Last minute tips??

We leave for Istanbul, with an eight hour layover in Zurich, Athens and Santorini in one week and I was wondering if anyone had some last minute suggestions. I recently read where someone wished that they had windbreaker for the windy nights on the islands and would not have known that perhaps. Anything else?

May 24th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Dave

How to make the most of a stay in Istanbul? Baklava, baklava, baklava!

Also, be sure to take either a boat tour or a ferry up the Bosphorus.

If you want to admire Turkish carpets without going through the lengthy sales experience, visit the government carpet shop with displays in a former Turkish bath just across from Aya Sofia. You can wander around at your leisure without any sales pressure, and it's also a good way to get an idea of prices. If you do step into a privately owned carpet shop, be prepared to spend an hour drinking apple tea and chatting while being shown every carpet in the place

If you're going to be on the coast, consider taking some really good insect repellant. I was in Selcuk (near Ephesus) in June a couple years ago and the mosquitoes were about the worst I've ever encountered. (on the positive side, I got a nice, clean, en-suite double room for $8US!)

May 24th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Kristi

If you want to see the harem rooms at the Topaki Palace in Istanbul, go early in the morning and get tickets, there is limited admission to get in and tickets go fast.

If you have a chance to see Ephsesus, do it! Fabulous Roman ruins, better than the ruins in Athens. I'm not sure of the proximity from Istanbul since we did it on a cruise so I don't know if its doable from Istanbul.

Search this Thread