Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last minute tickets for Opera, Concerts, Puppet Theater at Salzburg, Vienna & Prague

Search

Last minute tickets for Opera, Concerts, Puppet Theater at Salzburg, Vienna & Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for a trip in early August to Switzerland, Austria and Czech Rep, which will take us through the cities of Salzburg, Vienna and Prague. We would like to sample some concerts, operas or marionette theater, or maybe even some black light theater or English plays (if any ?). We have not done any prior booking, and are looking to buy last minute seats.

What would you recommend that we try, in each of the above 3 cities ? Bear in mind that the Salzburg Festival will be on, and most of Vienna's concert halls will be closed in August. We have not seen such performances before, so we do not have any specific preferences. Just want to get a "feel" of various kinds of performances. Any particular concert hall more recommended than others ? Any particular show ?

What would be the best place to look for last-minute tickets at each place ? We don't want to buy pricey tickets, given that we are novices. Would just love to have the experience of as many types of shows as possible.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Hi indiancouple

During our recent holiday in Vienna I tried all sorts of avenues to buy last minute tickets, without success!

The only place I could discover was an opera centre in one of the suburbs that sold standing room only at discount price just before a performance, but they didn't have anything on during our 2 week stay.

Perhaps someone else has had more success than me?
Happy travels, Di
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM

You can buy standing room only tickets to the Opera in Vienna for 2 or 3 euros the day of the opera. The doors (which are on the back side of the building - ask at the TI office exactly where to go) open 80 minutes before the performance, and when I did it the line was already about 50 people long 90 minutes before they opened the doors. They sell something like 150 tickets this way, so as long as you are one of the first 150 people in line, you will get a ticket. They only sell 1 ticket per person, so don't have one of you wait in line while the other person does something else - only one of you will get in (learned this the hard way unfortunately!!)

I thought this was a great way to see the Opera in Vienna, because you can stay for however long you like, then leave quietly.

I got this suggestion from Rick Steves - you might check out his Vienna guide book for more information.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM

When we went to Vienna, opera tickets went on sale to the general public one month in advance. DH (who speaks German) phoned to book, but I daresay there's a website now.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks attnymom; will remember your suggestion. Please keep them coming, especially since we haven't heard anything about Salzburg and Prague concert tickets.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Can't believe I forgot to mention Salzburg - when we were there, we booked tickets the day of (through our hotel) for a concert in the Castle. It was lovely - 4 people playing violin, viola and the big thing that rests on the floor (impressed by my music knowledge yet???) and they played mostly Mozart. I can't remember how much the tickets were - not the 2 euros deal you can get in Vienna, but the concert was really nice and it was fun being in the castle.

Good luck!