Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last minute questions - Leaving for Italy and Paris in 2 DAYS!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are finally leaving for our 3-week Italy (Big 3 - Rome/Florence/Venice) and Paris adventure. This will be the first time for both of us - it is a combination 2nd honeymoon (married for almost 5 years) and graduation present to ourselves (finishing up grad school). I have some last minute questions...

1. We have 4 nights in Venice - I was thinking of a daytrip to Verona during this time...Is it worth it or should we save that day to explore more of Venice?

2. Do I need to bring mosquito repellent? thinking about Venice...

3. We would like to take the RER to CDG on our last day in Paris but only if it's strike-free that day.
Can anyone read french? I tried checking this website but do not see any dates...Will be in Paris from May 15-21 - so it might be too far in advance to check...
http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/manifestations.php

4. Shoes - I test drove a pair of sporty black Mary-Jane flats (hard day of shopping in San Francisco) and love them. I want to wear these everyday and not even bring a back up (athletic shoes). Do I need a back-up pair of shoes or can I save the space and just rely on one pair?

5. It will be raining the whole time we are in Rome and probably Florence - no question...I'm just a little bummed.

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:13 PM

The fact that you're expecting rain is enough reason to bring a second pair of shoes. Nothing worse than walking around in wet shoes that didn't dry completely overnight! Have a great trip.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:18 PM

No matter how comfortable your shoes are, your feet will get sore and tired. So do bring a back up pair that might help keep you walking.
We went to Paris one year, with forecasts of rain every day..November. When we arrived it was foggy, we had rain once, during the night. So don't worry, maybe they will be wrong with their forecast too!
Congrats on the graduation and anniversary
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Hi Wendy,
We just got back from Italy. We spent 4 days in Venice and felt we could have spent a week, although it was our first time in Venice, so that could account for that.
We also spent 3 days in Verona (our second time) and we love it there, so a quick trip to Verona is alway worth it in my opinion, it just depends if you feel you can spare the time from Venice.

I never take more than one pair of shoes on a trip, unless I need something special, like sandles, or boots for the snow or something. I bought 6 pairs of shoes on this trip, and my husband bought 5!!!! *BLUSH*
I ended up wearing some of the shoes I had bought.

Hope you have a great trip and may happy shopping hours
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:45 AM

Wendy, you are about to start on a wonderful trip! In answer to a couple of your questions - don't worry too much about the rain. I'm sure you will have your share of good weather, too. And do consider taking 2 pairs of shoes. It feels great to change your shoes after a long day of walking. Have a fabulous time!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:30 AM

http://babel.altavista.com/tr will translate that page for you. Last year in May I flew home from Paris on the day when the air controllers were all on strike. It was great! My flight was not cancelled, only moved back several hours. I had an extra half day in Paris and CDG was almost completely empty. Never had an easier time of it. If the RER do strike, your hotel staff should be able to help you find alternatives.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:02 AM

The page you cited only lists the demonstrations, etc., planned for May 1st. Here's a (non-literal) translation

"manifestations dans Paris le samedi 1er Maiquot;
Demonstrations (marches, protests, etc. etc., a manifestation can be many things) in Paris on Saturday May 1

"A partir de 08h00, rassemblement d'environ 1500 personnes place Raoul Dautry puis défilé par rue du Départ, Place du 18 juin 1940, Bd Montparnasse, Place Léon Paul Fargue, Bd des Invalides, rue Eblé, Av Duquesne, Plce de l'Ecole Militaire Av de la Motte Picquet jusqu'au Champ de Mars. Lignes de bus perturbées: 58-80-82-91-92-95 et 96"

From 8 am, around 1500 people will assumble on Place Raoul Dautry then march (walk, proceed, whatever) along rue Depart, Place June 18 1940, Boulevard Montparnasse, etc. to the Champ de Mars. Bus lines that will be affected include numbers 58, 80, 82, 91, 92, 95 and 96.

"A partir de 09h00, rassemblement place du Châtelet puis défilé par rues St Denis, de Rivoli, des Pyramides, av de l'Opéra et place de l'Opéra. Lignes de bus perturbées: 20-21-26-27-38-43-52-58-76-80-94-95-96 et Balabus et 352 Roissybus."

Starting a 9 am, a group (approx. number of marchers not given) gathering at the place Du Chatelet will march along the streets of St. Denis, Rivoli, Pyramides, Avenue de l'Opera and Place de l'Opera. Bus lines to be affected: (all the numbers listed above plus the Balabus and the 352 Roissybus serving CdG airport)

"A partir de 11h30, rassemblement place de la Bastille, puis défilé par la rue de la Roquette, Bd du Ménilmontant, Place Auguste Métivier, Av Gambetta jusqu'à PlaceGambetta. Lignes de bus perturbées: 20-26-29-46-60-86-91-102 et Balabus"

From 11 am, meeting at Place de la Bastille, then proceeding along rue de la Roquette, Blvd de Menilmontant, Place August yadda yadda to the Place Gambetta. Bus lines to be affected: 20, 26, 29, 46, etc.

I think you can figure out the last one; they all say pretty much the same thing. Anyway, I didn't see anything listed for the 15th to 21st of May (I checked a couple of other sites as well and nothing serious came up for those dates). Remember, not all "manifs" will disrupt services so just because a manifestation is planned, it won't automatically throw a wrench in your plans. Some of them are quite interesting to watch--they can be good learning experiences. Most are quite peaceful, some may even have a party atmosphere, but sadly a rare few can be destructive and violent.

We get them all the time here in Brussels and I've only seen one that was truly destructive, a pro-Palestinian march a few years ago during which more than 100 cars were trashed and windows and doors were smashed in almost every building along the entire route.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:03 AM

should be 11:30 am, not 11 am.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:32 AM

You absolutely, positively, unquestionably need <b>at least</b> 2 pair of shoes. Alternating is always a good idea, not to mention the point about wetness from rain. I'll also tell you if the Mary Janes don't have rubber soles, you'll be sorry. I had my most comfortable leather soled boots in Venice &amp; my feet were killing me from the cobble stones.

As to Verona, you might want to go to one or more of the outer islands of Venice like Murano, Burano, Torcello-which can use up a day. Decide when you get there.

Since it's been very wet there, yes bring mosquito repellent or buy something that you can plug in there. I think you'll find a bunch of threads if you try a text search for mosquitos AND Italy.

Have a great trip &amp; a wonderful time.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:51 AM

May Day (1 May) celebrations in Europe sometimes turn into rather chaotic anti-globalization demonstrations, and sometimes the authorities over-react. These days, those demos might very well get mixed with protests regarding the US presence in Iraq. I wouldn't want to be shopping on Oxford St in London on May 1. The demonstrations can be interesting to watch (and participate in), but take care to avoid ending up in a crush of people with limited exit options. You also might want to avoid &quot;aggressively logoed&quot; clothing.

I always travel with mosquito repellent starting in May. Usually, I pack a device that can be plugged into the hotel outlet (with little disks of repellent, rather than liquid, which is messy) and some terrific foil packages that have &quot;repellent in a wet wipe&quot; (unfortunately, I've only found these things in the UK). You shouldn't have a problem in Paris. There might be mosquitoes in Venice at this time of year.

Definitely pack an extra pair of shoes. Also consider packing fewer pairs of jeans (they feel yucky and take a long time to dry if they get wet) and more chino-type fabrics (the fabric is more comfortable wet and dries faster).
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Verona, I love Verona. But Venice has so much to offer. . . Really, this is a decision you can make once you are there. Trains from Venice to Verona are frequent, the ride is about 90 minutes. See how you are feeling after a day or two in Venice. Either way you'll have a great time.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Always take two pairs of shoes! My husband got his only shoes soaked completely (had to take them off and dump the water out) on one vacation and he was stuck wearing them the rest of the time. It took three days for them to dry out. Thus, it has been our credo since: Always take two pairs of shoes!

If you can't get the RER to CDG, it's easy enough to call the Blue Shuttle. The front desk will probably do it for you. The desk will also know about any strikes and can advise you.

On a cheery note . . . It was supposed to rain most of our last trip to Paris and it only rained once so I wish you the same luck. It was lovely. PS Don't forget your umbrella!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Hi WendyWhy

1. I &quot;second&quot; ellenem -- you can easily make the Verona decision when you are there.

2. I was bitten by a few mosquitos in Levanto (near the Cinque Terre) this time of year. When I went to the local drugstore to see what kind of repellent they had, the clerk informed me that it was impossible, there were no mosquitos there! Hmmm, I'm pretty familiar with mosquitos, but I said thanks, walked down the street scratching my &quot;imaginary&quot; mosquito bites, and found a health food store with a great herbal cream that discouraged, if not repelled, the critters. Moral of the story: bring a small amount.

4. As others have said, definitely take an extra pair of comfy shoes.

Have a fabulous time. Maybe you'll see a rainbow in the midst of the rain...
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:25 PM

In Italy, ask at your hotel for a &quot;vape,&quot; pronounced vah-pay. It's a little electrical mosquito repellant thingie that you can plug in in your room. Ask for a demonstration to find out how it works. At night, leave your windows closed, if possible, until you turn out the lights at night. You can pop into a farmacia to buy insect repellant; the brand that was recommended to us was called Autan, and it worked fine. You may fint it's too early in the season for mosquitos.

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:04 PM

They don't announces RATP strikes that far ahead of time, usually just the day before or very close. I haven't read anything in particular about current labor negotation problems on RATP (or SNCF, not sure who runs that line, actually), so I would not plan on a RER strike. There used to be a more comprehensive web site about strikes in Paris which might give something more in advance (if they know it), but it has closed down, unfortunately.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:42 PM
ocean4

You will be surrended by beauty at all times. What will a little mosquito bite or a drop of rain change anything?
Have a glass of wine and enjoy your vacation no matter what. I am sure it will not be raining all the time.