Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Last Minute Discount Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/last-minute-discount-travel-52632/)

Dayle Sep 8th, 1999 06:13 PM

Last Minute Discount Travel

I know there are groups that specialize in selling last minute travel packages/tours. I've got a change to go on vacation on short notice and would like to see what's available. Anyone know the names of these clearing houses?

Dayle Sep 9th, 1999 06:55 PM

I'm sure somebody knows this! Somebody? Anybody?

Betty Sep 9th, 1999 08:01 PM

The Sunday NYTimes has ads for discount air and possibly packages. There is also a Discount Travel Club, which used to have good prices on tours just a few weeks off. Don't know their address. I suppose you've done searches for "discount travel". The Islands are cheaper now (hurricane season), and Florida also is low till Christmas. Good luck. Betty

AJ Sep 10th, 1999 05:40 AM

Dayle, I was trying to book a quick trip, and found this website: <BR> <BR>www.bestfares.com <BR> <BR>Go to it and take a look. They have many, many last minute air deals, collected from all the airlines. The catch is that you have to sign up and pay $60 for membership. I went ahead and signed up, paid my money, then checked into a flight to London from Minneapolis for November 4. I was quoted $384 roundtrip on TWA, including taxes. Paris was slightly cheaper. <BR> <BR>Bear in mind that THE RATES THEY SHOW ON THEIR WEBSITE ARE EXCLUSIVE OF TAXES, which in the case of London, was about $95. So I was expecting about $289, and it turned out to be $384. Still a good price, I think. <BR> <BR>But I haven't booked anything yet, and I honestly don't know if the membership is worth it or not. <BR> <BR>

Sandy Sep 10th, 1999 06:16 AM

Be careful of dealing with BestFares. I bought 2 tickets to San Jose, Costa Rica and they sent me tickets to San Jose, California. When I was talking with the reservationist, we discussed that I was going to CR to take Spanish lessons, I even commented that I didn't know TWA flew to CR when she told me the airline. Her response was it was a new route and they had a special fare. <BR> <BR>When I received my (wrong)tickets, I immediately called and they told me to send them back and they would reissue. After months of repeated calls, they decided not to reissue because the tickets were nonrefundable (I didn't change my mind, I always wanted to go to CR!). I ended up having to protest the charges with Visa and they did protect me. <BR> <BR>The BestFares manager told me they did not have an "errors/omissions" insurance policy to cover errors made on their part and that I was just out of luck. She also told me Tom Parsons owned BF. I sent him a letter (certified, return-receipt requested)detailing my dealings trying to get my tickets straighted out and never received a reply. So much for customer service! <BR> <BR>Naturally, I cancelled my membership. I won't do business with any company that won't correct their mistakes.

lisa Sep 10th, 1999 07:48 AM

Try www.moments-notice.com or www.spurof.com -- caveat: I have looked at both sites but haven't actually purchased anything through them. May be worth a try. Also try www.frommers.com and www.travelocity.com

lisa Sep 10th, 1999 07:48 AM

Try www.moments-notice.com or www.spurof.com -- caveat: I have looked at both sites but haven't actually purchased anything through them. May be worth a try. Also try www.frommers.com and www.travelocity.com