Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Birthday Trip to Croatia and Bosnia and H! Need Help!

Last Minute Birthday Trip to Croatia and Bosnia and H! Need Help!

Old May 28th, 2021, 12:32 AM
  #41  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lolazahra - I just wrote a long post but it is in moderation. I just wanted to add - I may be in Dubrovnik when you are, if I am, we could get a vino.
rialtogrl is offline  
Old May 28th, 2021, 03:25 AM
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,197
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<PCR test at Air BnB (for Mostar and U.S.)>>

Your trip sounds fabulous and I’m taking notes for our trip!

One question - are you doing a self-test? Or is someone coming to the Airbnb? Depending upon requirements when we leave, I was thinking of getting self-test kits for us, so was wondering what you were planning. I like how you’ve got it arranged to work for your trip to Mostar and the trip home! Well planned!
progol is online now  
Old May 28th, 2021, 11:56 PM
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my post above, it is TOP bar not Too bar at Hotel Adriana.

I checked on the new combined ticket for Hvar sights. There is a combined ticket for the Arsenale Theatre, Spanish Fortress, City Hall and the clock tower for 80 kuna. As I said the clock tower is open for the first time in its history. That is a good deal. Sorry about the bad punctuation above, I would have edited it if the post did not go to moderation. Oops!
rialtogrl is offline  
Old May 29th, 2021, 04:32 AM
  #44  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rialtogrl,

There is a treasure trove of information here! Thank you. Iím going to print so that I can look at it side by side with my current itinerary.

By the way, the beach club I was talking about on Hvar is called Beach Club Hvar. Anyone can book but itís associated with our hotel. But I love the feeling of the beach you suggested too. The one I booked is fancy. Your seems chill and more local. Iím thinking of doing both. Sounds like a nice combo. Is it walkable?

I will make a reservation for the winery on our first day as we drive across Hvar. Thanks for the heads up as I would have just shown up.

I had to flip the full beach day to July 1 by the way, so our first full day on Hvar will be driving around the island. Itís actually good as we had a full beach day the day before at BOWA Dubrovnik. I will add Stari Grad to our stop. Sounds like I need to rework this day, so I will come back once I have read your post again.

By the way, I love the look and sound of Hora ó magical. But when I read some reviews quite a few were bad and then a bunch of glowing one time posters. What I worried about the most were the bus loads of tourists and the wasps. Iím assuming this has not been your experience???

Okay will be back. As always, so appreciative for your expertise and time!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by rialtog17246216
In my post above, it is TOP bar not Too bar at Hotel Adriana.

I checked on the new combined ticket for Hvar sights. There is a combined ticket for the Arsenale Theatre, Spanish Fortress, City Hall and the clock tower for 80 kuna. As I said the clock tower is open for the first time in its history. That is a good deal. Sorry about the bad punctuation above, I would have edited it if the post did not go to moderation. Oops!
Lolazahra is offline  
Old May 29th, 2021, 04:36 AM
  #45  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
progol,

No not doing the self test. Itís a company that does house calls to your apartment or hotel. A few people on TA already in Croatia have used them in Split. I sent in my request and am waiting for confirmation. If not, we will go to another place. There are 3 places in Split but this seems so convenient. Will let you know if it all works out!


Originally Posted by progol View Post
<<PCR test at Air BnB (for Mostar and U.S.)>>

Your trip sounds fabulous and Iím taking notes for our trip!

One question - are you doing a self-test? Or is someone coming to the Airbnb? Depending upon requirements when we leave, I was thinking of getting self-test kits for us, so was wondering what you were planning. I like how youíve got it arranged to work for your trip to Mostar and the trip home! Well planned!
Lolazahra is offline  
Old May 29th, 2021, 06:22 AM
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,197
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lolazahra View Post
progol,

No not doing the self test. Itís a company that does house calls to your apartment or hotel. A few people on TA already in Croatia have used them in Split. I sent in my request and am waiting for confirmation. If not, we will go to another place. There are 3 places in Split but this seems so convenient. Will let you know if it all works out!
Many thanks, LZ! I hope the house call company works out!

So much great info here - thanks again for all your planning and motivating me to travel, too. And rialtogirl, we will all have a drink to you on our respective trips!
progol is online now  
Old May 29th, 2021, 11:18 AM
  #47  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to look up the reviews of Hora after you mentioned them Lola. The one where the guy says there are wasps, he complains because there is NO BEER? What a... well I will keep my mouth shut. Hora is a farm, they offer what they produce. Maybe he thought it was a bar. Pro tip: if you go, order fish peka. The owner owns a fishery. Fish peka is not as common as meat. By the way you need to reserve and order in advance, they are not a normal restaurant, but only if you want peka, otherwise you can go and drink wine and get cheese and cured meats. Never saw any wasps there but that does not mean they never show up, it’s an island and there are bugs. I’d be more worried about groups from Sail Croatia than wasps.. but you can write them and check about groups.

Beach club Hvar is Bonje. You can do both, maybe Bonje then go to Falko for sunset but in that case, don’t get a lounger. You can easily walk between the two. Bonje is in a small bay, crowded, Vegas-ey. Falko is on a point, next to sea, rugged, and for sure more locals. They are polar opposites.

Last edited by rialtogrl; May 29th, 2021 at 11:24 AM.
rialtogrl is offline  
Old May 29th, 2021, 12:35 PM
  #48  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again rialtogrl,

Okay on Hora!

And sounds good for a beach combo.

Iím busy making some changes based on your advice!

More later!

Originally Posted by rialtogrl View Post
I had to look up the reviews of Hora after you mentioned them Lola. The one where the guy says there are wasps, he complains because there is NO BEER? What a... well I will keep my mouth shut. Hora is a farm, they offer what they produce. Maybe he thought it was a bar. Pro tip: if you go, order fish peka. The owner owns a fishery. Fish peka is not as common as meat. By the way you need to reserve and order in advance, they are not a normal restaurant, but only if you want peka, otherwise you can go and drink wine and get cheese and cured meats. Never saw any wasps there but that does not mean they never show up, itís an island and there are bugs. Iíd be more worried about groups from Sail Croatia than wasps.. but you can write them and check about groups.

Beach club Hvar is Bonje. You can do both, maybe Bonje then go to Falko for sunset but in that case, donít get a lounger. You can easily walk between the two. Bonje is in a small bay, crowded, Vegas-ey. Falko is on a point, next to sea, rugged, and for sure more locals. They are polar opposites.
Lolazahra is offline  
Old May 29th, 2021, 04:19 PM
  #49  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question about driving. Will we be find using google maps on our phones or do we need an additional navigation device? Thank you!
Lolazahra is offline  
Old May 29th, 2021, 09:44 PM
  #50  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrived in Croatia on Friday (Boston to Split via Amsterdam) no Covid issues or hassles, flight half empty. Regular service as pre Covid, food, drinks, ect. Little wait than longer at Passport Control as people had to show their proof of vaccinations (some had documents/some had to show on cell phones). Picked up luggage and rent a car in less than 30 minute minutes and a nice easy drive to Zadar where we currently are (Apartments Mirage) in a beautiful apartment on the harbor with the best deck we have ever experienced, directly over the water. Weather has been perfect, high 70s and very sunny. Restaurants only serve outdoors but most establishments have both outdoor seating and large areas of tables with canopy style covers if you want to eat out of the direct sun. Most restaurants/bars were crowded and no masks were in sight (except for the wait staff). Nobody wears a mask outdoors and the day to day activities seem pretty much like pre Covid. Its wonderful!
mike1728 is offline  
Old May 29th, 2021, 10:14 PM
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lolazahra View Post
Another question about driving. Will we be find using google maps on our phones or do we need an additional navigation device? Thank you!
google maps works great.

Duboković has no sign in front, itís his home with the winery downstairs, you will see a barrel in the driveway. His tastings take a couple of hours.. will you have time?

Mike, glad it was easy! As of last Friday, restaurants can serve inside again, but nobody want to go inside! Too nice out!
rialtogrl is offline  
Old May 30th, 2021, 03:37 AM
  #52  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update! Glad you are having a great time! Enjoy!

Originally Posted by mike1728 View Post
Arrived in Croatia on Friday (Boston to Split via Amsterdam) no Covid issues or hassles, flight half empty. Regular service as pre Covid, food, drinks, ect. Little wait than longer at Passport Control as people had to show their proof of vaccinations (some had documents/some had to show on cell phones). Picked up luggage and rent a car in less than 30 minute minutes and a nice easy drive to Zadar where we currently are (Apartments Mirage) in a beautiful apartment on the harbor with the best deck we have ever experienced, directly over the water. Weather has been perfect, high 70s and very sunny. Restaurants only serve outdoors but most establishments have both outdoor seating and large areas of tables with canopy style covers if you want to eat out of the direct sun. Most restaurants/bars were crowded and no masks were in sight (except for the wait staff). Nobody wears a mask outdoors and the day to day activities seem pretty much like pre Covid. Its wonderful!
Lolazahra is offline  
Old May 30th, 2021, 04:53 AM
  #53  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi rialtogrl!

Thatís great news about Google maps. It is what we shall use as we drive across Croatia.

In terms of timing, our ferry is at 1:45 pm so we will arrive on Hvar island at 3:15 pm. The plan was to stop at the olive oil place for about an hour and then winetasting for about an hour. So the fact that we will need a couple of hours for winetasting will make the timing difficult. The olive oil place is 20 minutes from the ferry port and the winetasting is about another 45 minutes from there. Do you think he can adjust wine tasting to last only an hour? Or maybe we should leave it for the next day. If we donít do winetasting on the way to Hvar Town, is there another stop that you could recommend coming from Sucuraj to Hvar Town?

For the next day, I will definitely add a nice stop in Stari Grad. I do want to keep Vrboska. If we do do wine tasting in Jelsa the first day, we can add Caric winery. But if not, we will head to Jelsa for wine tasting. Any feedback on this? Any place else we must see as we are driving the island?

In terms of the combined tickets you were explaining for the clock tower, et. al, where do you buy these tickets?

Lastly, as we sail with Hvar board, looking at the itinerary, anything missing? Any other must stops? This can be amended for sure.

Thank you and let me know if you are in Dubrovnik!

Originally Posted by rialtogrl View Post
google maps works great.

Duboković has no sign in front, itís his home with the winery downstairs, you will see a barrel in the driveway. His tastings take a couple of hours.. will you have time?

Mike, glad it was easy! As of last Friday, restaurants can serve inside again, but nobody want to go inside! Too nice out!
Lolazahra is offline  
Old May 30th, 2021, 05:51 AM
  #54  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it would be better to save Duboković for the day when you are not in a rush. I would go on the day you are driving around at around 15.00. You actually arrive at 14.20, but with the drive and olive oil, it’s a bit too much. Sorry this just occurred to me now.

you could make a stop in Humac... https://www.otok-hvar.hr/destinations/humac/humac


Vrboska is also a fairly easy stop en route. I believe Carić will be open, should be, without appointment but you could write or call to be sure. However I think they close in the afternoon and open at 17.00.. one hour will be enough there. their wines are also really good. So maybe that is best, stop there on your drive across the island..

Does the hotel give you a parking pass? Or do you have to pay?``

i think you will have enough to see and do.. you *could* take the back road from Stari Grad to Vrboska, it’s a dirt road into the UNESCO heritage Stari Grad Plain and on that road there are many markers about the history of the plain. Lots of streets named after possible Greek courtesans. It is very beautiful back there.

The combined ticket can be bought at any of the places, sometimes they have weird hours.. not the fortress nut Arsenale for sure. Check with the tourist office, or your hotel, though you can see the tourist office from your hotel 😂


rialtogrl is offline  
Old May 30th, 2021, 10:25 AM
  #55  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! Iím starting to see things much clearer! Excited!

Parking??!!! I literally thought of this yesterday. I donít know. When we booked, we didnít know we would have a car. Sending an email to find out.

Happy Sunday!

Originally Posted by rialtogrl View Post
I think it would be better to save Duboković for the day when you are not in a rush. I would go on the day you are driving around at around 15.00. You actually arrive at 14.20, but with the drive and olive oil, itís a bit too much. Sorry this just occurred to me now.

you could make a stop in Humac... https://www.otok-hvar.hr/destinations/humac/humac


Vrboska is also a fairly easy stop en route. I believe Carić will be open, should be, without appointment but you could write or call to be sure. However I think they close in the afternoon and open at 17.00.. one hour will be enough there. their wines are also really good. So maybe that is best, stop there on your drive across the island..

Does the hotel give you a parking pass? Or do you have to pay?``

i think you will have enough to see and do.. you *could* take the back road from Stari Grad to Vrboska, itís a dirt road into the UNESCO heritage Stari Grad Plain and on that road there are many markers about the history of the plain. Lots of streets named after possible Greek courtesans. It is very beautiful back there.

The combined ticket can be bought at any of the places, sometimes they have weird hours.. not the fortress nut Arsenale for sure. Check with the tourist office, or your hotel, though you can see the tourist office from your hotel 😂
Lolazahra is offline  
Old May 30th, 2021, 01:15 PM
  #56  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking is really expensive in Hvar parking lots. Definitely find out, to avoid a shock!
rialtogrl is offline  
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 10:08 AM
  #57  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia

Now in Sibenik. Pure sun, high 70's. No covid restrictions. Beaches are getting crowded, restaurants filling up. Back to the good old times here in Croatia. From a Boston visitor. Outdoor markets open, cafes, ect....nice.
mike1728 is offline  
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 10:46 PM
  #58  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1728 View Post
Now in Sibenik. Pure sun, high 70's. No covid restrictions. Beaches are getting crowded, restaurants filling up. Back to the good old times here in Croatia. From a Boston visitor. Outdoor markets open, cafes, ect....nice.
you still have to wear a mask inside! But yeah, other than that... really getting back to normal. There are a LOT of Americans in Hvar. Mike, cool down with some gelato from KaGrom there... the BEST!
rialtogrl is offline  
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 06:00 AM
  #59  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting so excited! 20 days to go! Literally cannot wait. Still fine tuning everything. Will post again before I finalize. Wishing everyone the best who is already in Croatia! Travel! Yeah!

Originally Posted by rialtogrl View Post
you still have to wear a mask inside! But yeah, other than that... really getting back to normal. There are a LOT of Americans in Hvar. Mike, cool down with some gelato from KaGrom there... the BEST!
Lolazahra is offline  
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:53 AM
  #60  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now in Bol, Island of Brac. Absolutely stunning. Famous beach of Zladni rat....even though its close to 80 degrees and pure sun, its off season and crowds are very minimal. Beaches empty. Never realized how many private secluded beach areas were amongst the Bol town center. Most restuarants are booming, fresh fruit stands and sandwich shops, coffee and smoothie shops along the promenade to the Golden cape are open. Paradise.
mike1728 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -