Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Birthday Trip to Croatia and Bosnia and H! Need Help!

Last Minute Birthday Trip to Croatia and Bosnia and H! Need Help!

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope it helps
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:35 AM

Lolazahra,
I’m going to blame you because it was this post that just put me over the edge and made me book a trip to Croatia! I hadn’t even planned to travel, but somehow, I just found myself booking flights! Hmmm.....so it must be your fault, right?! 😁 Your trip sounds fantastic!

We are going at the end of September for a month, so I have plenty of time to make and review the itinerary. And, if things do change for the worse, at least, our tickets are changeable. But I’m hopeful and look forward to reading your report after your travels.

And rialtogirl, I will be picking your brains soon, too!
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:42 AM

Progol I will be here! On the forum (for brain picking) and in Croatia (but only for a couple of weeks) so hopefully our paths will cross. End of September and early October is a fantastic time for Croatia, though you will see seasonal places shutting down as October goes on. Start north, move south.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lolazahra
Hi guys,

I have been over to the Bosnia Herzegovina forum page on TA and it looks like stuff is opening up, so we may do our first option, which was to start in Bosnia with a few days in Sarajevo and Mostar. But just in case we don’t, here is the revised itinerary for doing only Croatia.

Please tell me your thoughts.

June 24

Fly NYC to Dubrovnik

June 25

Land at noon. Explore Dubrovnik. Nice late lunch and dinner

June 26

Dubrovnik Walls, explore on our own.

June 27

Day trip to Montenegro, Bay of Kotor. Possible stops Kotor, Perast, Herceg Novi. Use driver/guide.

June 28

Beach day In Dubrovnik

Pick up rental car early evening ??? Can it be delivered to hotel as I saw in another trip report?

June 29

Early morning drive to Hvar. Stopping at Ston to climb walls and Mali Ston for oysters.

After lunch ferry from Drvenik (just south of Makarska) to Sućuraj and drive across Hvar island.

Enjoy the evening on Hvar

** need to make sure that this timing works as it pertains to the ferry

June 30

Beach Day on Hvar

July 1

Explore Hvar Town and Hvar Island with our car

July 2

Explore another island. Rent a boat.

July 3

Depart for Split from Stari Grad via car. Arrive Split and drop off car. Explore Split.

July 4

Explore Split including Diocletian's Palace and more with a guide.

July 5

Day trip to Trojir with driver and guide.

July 6

Depart Split for New York

How does this sound?

Thank you.
Lolazahra, it looks very good to me. Not rushed at all. I didn’t have time to get to Montenegro last Sept. but it looks beautiful. If you haven’t already, check out my TR to Croatia from this past September.

Have a great trip!

MB
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
Progol I will be here! On the forum (for brain picking) and in Croatia (but only for a couple of weeks) so hopefully our paths will cross. End of September and early October is a fantastic time for Croatia, though you will see seasonal places shutting down as October goes on. Start north, move south.
rialtogirl,
We start in Zagreb (booked 3 nights) and work our way down! I really want to spend time on the Istrian peninsula so made sure to start in the north. We leave NYC 3rd week in September and will be in Dubrovnik by mid-October. We have a ridiculously early flight out of Dubrovnik so booked a hotel in Cavtat for the last night. Our beginning and ending is booked but I’ll be looking to fill it in gradually.

Starting to get excited!
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by progol
rialtogirl,
We start in Zagreb (booked 3 nights) and work our way down! I really want to spend time on the Istrian peninsula so made sure to start in the north. We leave NYC 3rd week in September and will be in Dubrovnik by mid-October. We have a ridiculously early flight out of Dubrovnik so booked a hotel in Cavtat for the last night. Our beginning and ending is booked but I’ll be looking to fill it in gradually.

Starting to get excited!
Cool. Right now the plan is, I arrive in Rovinj October 9, so probably will miss you as you will be ahead of me. There is a new United nonstop between Newark and Dubrovnik, but it is seasonal. I think it ends October 3.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kwilliams. Very helpful.

Originally Posted by kwilliams
All other passengers coming to the Republic of Croatia from EU / EEA member states/regions, who are not currently on the so-called green list of the European Center for Disease Control and Prevention, must present one of the following :
  • negative PCR test or rapid antigen test – BAT on SARS-CoV-2 not older than 48 hours (counting from the time of swab to arrival at the border crossing) and, if it is a rapid antigen test and stay longer than 10 days in the Republic of Croatia, must retest the test by the tenth day from the date of issue of that test;
  • vaccination certificate for persons who, more than 14 days ago, received a second dose of COVID-19 vaccine. Exceptionally, in the case of a single-dose vaccine, an acknowledgment of receipt of a single dose if the dose was received more than 14 days before the date of crossing the state border;
  • present a certificate confirming that the certificate holder has recovered from SARS-COV-2 virus infection after having previously had a positive PCR or rapid antigen test, which certificate is valid no earlier than the eleventh day from the date of arrival of the positive test and no later than 180 -th day from the day of the first positive test;
  • or perform PCR testing or rapid antigen testing – BAT on SARS-CoV-2 immediately upon arrival in the Republic of Croatia (at its own expense), with the obligation of self-isolation until the arrival of a negative finding. In case of the impossibility of testing, a measure of self-isolation is determined for a period of ten (10) days.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

This is very funny! It’s happened to the best of us who read trip reports as a hobby! I will take the blame as your plan sounds amazing! I can’t wait to come back and explore more even though I haven’t gone on my first trip!
Originally Posted by progol
Lolazahra,
I’m going to blame you because it was this post that just put me over the edge and made me book a trip to Croatia! I hadn’t even planned to travel, but somehow, I just found myself booking flights! Hmmm.....so it must be your fault, right?! 😁 Your trip sounds fantastic!

We are going at the end of September for a month, so I have plenty of time to make and review the itinerary. And, if things do change for the worse, at least, our tickets are changeable. But I’m hopeful and look forward to reading your report after your travels.

And rialtogirl, I will be picking your brains soon, too!
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Hey MinnBeef, I did read your trip report on the same day that I read KarenWoo’s report. Both were very entertaining and helpful in my planning. Thank you.
Originally Posted by MinnBeef
Lolazahra, it looks very good to me. Not rushed at all. I didn’t have time to get to Montenegro last Sept. but it looks beautiful. If you haven’t already, check out my TR to Croatia from this past September.

Have a great trip!

MB
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 01:23 PM

<<This is very funny! It’s happened to the best of us who read trip reports as a hobby! I will take the blame as your plan sounds amazing! I can’t wait to come back and explore more even though I haven’t gone on my first trip!>>

Lolazahra,

I expect a full report, with lots of details, after you come back! It’s the only way I can forgive you for causing me to book this trip!
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Progol,

Now I’m mad at you because I clicked on your India trip report. Two hours later I’m now getting back to work! And yes, I will do a trip report, but based on the timing of your India report, I know you will give me grace, lol! By the way, finish Sri Lanka please!!!! 😂😂

QUOTE=progol;17236145]<<This is very funny! It’s happened to the best of us who read trip reports as a hobby! I will take the blame as your plan sounds amazing! I can’t wait to come back and explore more even though I haven’t gone on my first trip!>>

Lolazahra,

I expect a full report, with lots of details, after you come back! It’s the only way I can forgive you for causing me to book this trip![/QUOTE]
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 11:17 AM

<<Progol,
Now I’m mad at you because I clicked on your India trip report. Two hours later I’m now getting back to work! And yes, I will do a trip report, but based on the timing of your India report, I know you will give me grace, lol! By the way, finish Sri Lanka please!!!! 😂😂>>

Lolazahra, I PROMISE to finish the Sri Lanka report soon! You’re right, you will have a grace period for your report😉

But if you really want to lose yourself in one of my favorite reports, check out my trip to Morocco. That’ll keep you busy!
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi rialtogrl and all others:

A few questions as I finish planning my trip. We are planning to drive from Dubrovnik to Drvenik

to take the car ferry to Sucuraj on Hvar Island. On the way, we are stopping at Mali Ston for oysters and to walk the walls in Mali as well. It’s about an hour drive to Mali Ston and then another hour and fifteen minutes to Drvenik.

1) A question is how long do you think we need to put aside for Mali and Mali Ston? If I’m reading the ferry schedule right (rialtogrl, it seems like it’s up now with June/July dates, right?), I would want to take the one at 1:45 pm or 3:45 pm. We want to stop along the way once we are on Hvar Island on our way to Hvar Town. So just trying to get timing right. Please advise.

2) After Hvar, we go to Split. We want to take the ferry from Stari Grad to Split. I went on JADROLINIJA’s website to try to see about tickets. When I put in the date of July 3, it said nothing was available. Is this because it’s too early?

3) Also with the ferry to Hvar from Drvenik, I have the schedule but how do you actually buy tickets? There is nothing to click on.

4) Lastly, just for now, do we need a guide to climb the walls or is it fine to do on your own? Does a guide add value?

5) For one day in Hvar, we want to rent a boat for the day so that we can maximize the number of islands we visit on our own timetable. Any recommendations for boat companies?

I have more questions as I’m flushing out the actual days, but this it it for now. By the way, definitely using Mack Car Rebtal. Love their fleet and that they drop off/pick up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks everybody!

The schedule for Drvenik to Sućuraj - https://tinyurl.com/hms87akj

They are not selling tickets for late June/early July yet.

You can buy tickets in advance but it does not secure a place on this line. If you do not get on one ferry you need to wait for the next one. However when you return Stari Grad to Split, your ticket does guarantee a reservation on the ship.

MACK car rental - https://mack-concord.hr/

If you want to get a sense of what it is like to drive from Sućuraj to Jelsa, here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAE_bUG7jM
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:27 AM

Do not stress about ferry tickets. They are only selling a month in advance these days. Just wait until a month before or even a week. Or even a day,.. Jadrolinija has an app!

I would shoot for the 13.45 from Drvenik but you need to arrive 45 minutes early. It takes me 20 minutes to gobble oysters but walking the walls, I do not know.. someone else will chime in, I am sure. You can get Ston oysters in Split and Dubrovnik at Bota.. and other places. https://www.bota-sare.hr/en

Dino rents boats. https://www.dinorenthvar.com Or, just wait till you get to Hvar, there will be lots of kiosks trying to rent you one. (Dino is super cool. But I have only rented cars from him.)
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rialtogrl. Good to know about the ferry tickets. I won’t stress.

Dino’s boats seem like you sail them yourself. Ummm no! Lol! So looking for a boat with a captain if anyone has any company suggestions.

And yes, please weigh in if you know how much time we should give to walking the walls in Mali.

Thanks all.

Do not stress about ferry tickets. They are only selling a month in advance these days. Just wait until a month before or even a week. Or even a day,.. Jadrolinija has an app!

I would shoot for the 13.45 from Drvenik but you need to arrive 45 minutes early. It takes me 20 minutes to gobble oysters but walking the walls, I do not know.. someone else will chime in, I am sure. You can get Ston oysters in Split and Dubrovnik at Bota.. and other places. https://www.bota-sare.hr/en

Dino rents boats. https://www.dinorenthvar.com Or, just wait till you get to Hvar, there will be lots of kiosks trying to rent you one. (Dino is super cool. But I have only rented cars from him.)
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:13 AM

Sorry! I misunderstood you. Check out Hvar Boats. https://www.hvarboats.com/en

Old May 4th, 2021, 01:12 AM

here is one more.. if you prefer a sailboat rather than speed boat. I did not think of them before but they just posted a picture on facebook, they are picking up people in Hvar https://www.sunburstsailing.com/
Old May 4th, 2021, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank for both recommendations! Fantastic!

Sorry! I misunderstood you. Check out Hvar Boats. https://www.hvarboats.com/en
Old May 27th, 2021, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

I’ve been following other people who are planning to travel to Croatia, listening to the feedback I originally received on Fodors and perusing Trip Advisor. Here are my final plans and so looking forward! Some of the restaurants that I mention are not fully booked and can change. Booked the ones I’m really interested in though. Using guides suggested by KarenWoo and itineraries, boats and rental car suggested by rialtogrl. Wrapping up last minute things but basically there. And by the way, already planning my next trip to see more of this amazing country.

June 24

Depart New York for Dubrovnik
Delta through Paris

June 25

Arrive Dubrovnik

Check-in to Hotel Excelsior Dubrovnik

Dinner at Portun

June 26

Early Morning Old Town Tour with guide

Climb the City Walls without guide

Lunch at Forty Four Restaurant

Visit the War Photo Museum

Cable Car to Mount Srd, drinks at Panorama Restaurant (walk around the back of the observation deck to see the Museum of the Croatian War of Independence)

Buza Bar for drinks

Dinner at Nautika

June 27

Day Trip to Montenegro with guide (Bay of Kotor with stops in Kotor, Perast and Herceg Novi)

Lunch at Catovica Mlini (suggested by tour guide)

Dinner at Proto Fish Market

June 28

Beach Day, Take a boat to Bowa Dubrovnik for the day

Dinner at Gradska Kavana Arsenal

June 29

Rental Car Delivery – Mack Rental (early morning)

Drive to Hvar

On the way, stop Ston to climb walls and Mali Ston for Oysters

After lunch, drive to Drvenik (just south of Makarska) to take the ferry to Sucuraj and drive to Hvar Town

Stop along the way in the village of Bogomolje for the olive oil producer Radojkovic. Stop in Jelsa for wine tasting with Ivo Dubokovic of Dubokovic Wines and/or TomicWineryTomic Winery (thanks Rialtogrl!)

Check-in to the Palace Elisabeth Hvar Heritage Hotel

Dinner at Bunar

June 30

Beach Day – Spend the Day at Beach Club Hvar

Dinner at Dalmatino

After dinner drinks at The Wine Bar Tri Prsuta

July 1

Explore Hvar Town (By Foot and Car)

Walk to the Spanjola Fortress for a View of the City. Maybe visit the Cathedral, Public Theater and Monastery

Drive to Malo Grablje, Vrboska (Little Venice) and Sveta Nedjelja (visit the Zetlan Winery and sample the wines at Bilo Idro restaurant)

Dinner at Fig

July 2

Explore the Islands off Hvar – Rent a Boat from Hvar Boats

Go to the Blue Cave, Sail to the Pakleni Islands. Stop at Marinkovac, Zdrilca, Mlini (stop at Mamoto for lunch), go to Sveti Klement, early dinner on one of the islands (still working this out)

Drinks at Lola Bar

July 3

Depart for Split from the Stari Grad Ferry

Rental Car Drop off - Mack Rental

Check-in to Air BnB

PCR test at Air BnB (for Mostar and U.S.)

Visit Jaman Art Gallery

Dinner at Mazzgoon

July 4

Tour Diocletian’s Palace and Trojir with guide

Dinner at Zoi

Drinks at Luxor

July 5

Day trip to Mostar with guide

Dinner at Sug Restaurant

July 6

Depart Split for New York
Delta via Paris

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hotels and Air BnB booked but what we do/see during the day can be changed, especially on the island of Hvar...

Happy planning everyone!

Old May 28th, 2021, 12:02 AM

I’d try to go on the Dubrovnik walls in the early evening. Go do that then down to Buza bar after.

Definitely Duboković winery.. Ivo Duboković is the coolest guy and his wines are excellent and interesting. You have to reserve, you can do it on their Facebook page by messenger. Or call them.

are you talking about Bonje beach club? I would not go there, I would keep walking until you get to Falko bar and rent a lounger there. Unless you want a slick cabana style day. That beach is crowded. At Falko it’s so beautiful and the bar is chill, they have hammocks, good music not played too loud.. great cocktails, good wine, good food. Family owned, not a hotel operation. it is magic. To get there you walk past Bonje, past Hula bar, another five minutes and you are at Falko.

the clock tower in Hvar is open now, to go up, for the first time in its history. I think you can get a combined ticket with the arsenale and catherdral. I will go check. There is a nice bar on the top of the arsenale. Would not go to Lola bar (you will get that street vibe at Dalmatino) but instead to BackLane craft bar. I love that place. They play good music and it’s more relaxed. I am not sure Tri Prsut will open this year. Another great place for drinks is the Too bar at hotel Adriana. As of today you can go inside to eat and drink.

for your drive on July 1, go over the old road to Stari Grad. To get there take the road to Brusje. The views are insane. You need to visit Stari Grad. There is not much at Malo Grablje, you can stop in Velo Grablje off the old road, see that town it will take like five minutes. But do spend an hour or so in Stari Grad. A walk around, a visit to
Hektorović house -
http://stari-grad.eu/en/city-landmar...263;’s-tvrdalj
there is a great shop there with local wines, gourmet products, cheese, meat.. run by a lovely French couple. It is a great place to pick up treats for the ferry and gifts for yourself and others. https://www.zapodzub.com

Vrboska is sweet but they just replaced the main bridge and it’s a bit of a mess. Hopefully by July they will have it cleaned up. To get to Sveta Nedelja in that period is not for the squeamish. It involves a one way tunnel and it will be busy with a lot of camper vans from all over Europe. It’s pretty over there, but not 100% necessary if you run low on time. You can do wine tasting in Vrboska at
Carić. Wish you had time for a peka, maybe do a late afternoon one at Hora on this day instead? And save Fig for after the island the next day. Hora is an experience. https://www.hora-hvar.com

I love Fig and Dalmatino.. the server at Fig (Alfredo) is so fun, all the guys at Dalmatino are wonderful; if you like Pinot noir they have a special one, only one barrel made. Actually I don’t know if it’s even on their menu! I just ask for it every time. If you want to try, just tell Mislav (the wine guy) that you want the Pinot noir Shannon always gets. Try to go to Dalmatino on the early side, it gets pretty loud there after 8pm, with Lola bar and Central Park trying to out amplify each other. (Dalmatino is in the middle.)

drinks at Luxor... MAGIC. Expensive, but magic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -