Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last minute accommodations for Family of 4 in London

Jun 4th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Marilyn Krantz

We are a family of 4 (children ages 4 and 6). We will be in London next week for two nights 6/13 and 14. Any recommendations for last minute accommodations convenient to the zoo and transportation to and from Gatwick? We also want to see the Tower of London. Any suggestions on child-friendly places to eat Thank you.

Jun 4th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Betsy

I had a good experience booking last minute rooms in London thru www.laterooms.com.

Jun 5th, 2002, 09:04 AM
David White

Marilyn,

You might also try:

http://www.lastminute.co.uk

But booking a family room on one of these last minute on-line consolidators may not be very easy to accomplish.

Or maybe try you luck with some of the hotel chains that have central London properties (Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn and the like). The big Jubilee events are over and Wimbledon has not started, so you may find a good deal, especially if you are willing to contact the hotel directly.

Question: why the Zoo? London's zoo is OK, but not "World Class" and it is expensive to boot. Alternative suggestion: the Science Museum, which is World Class, free and great for kids.

Tower: Go to the Tower of London when it first opens to avoid the longest lines which form later in the day. See the Crown Jewel exhibit first. Your kids will probably enjoy a tour lead by a Yeoman Warder.

Gatwick transport--the only way to go is by Gatwick Express train--if that was your question. Gatwick is almost 30 miles south of central London and taxis take a long time and are expensive.

Enjoy your trip!

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Jun 5th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Suzy

I agree with David, we were disappointed with the zoo. The Dursleys thought it was a grand outing, but we know all about their lifestyle, eh?

Jun 5th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Sue

I checked londontown.com and they have a family room at the Radisson Grafton (tube stop Warren Street/Victoria and Northern lines) supposed to be convenient to zoo and Gatwick. (I think Gatwick Express goes to Victoria station.) 171 pounds excluding 17% tax. (normally 232) Looks nice.

Jun 5th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Jan

We spent a week in London late Feb with a 4 & 10 year old. We stayed in the Thistle Euston, which was great. Had 2 small bed & a small couch in room and a Tv..(kids were thrilled) and free breakfast daily. This was part of a package deal, but was great. Thistle has a website-www.thistlehotels.com, and the bathrooms were fabulous too. Our was down the street from Euston station-a 5 min. walk and then took the tube anywhere. I'd recommend them.

Jun 8th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Marilyn Krantz

Thank you everyone, especially for the information about the zoo. We will opt for the Science Museum as suggested. I am following up right now on some of the web sites and other recommendations for accommodations. Thanks again.

Jun 9th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Karen

Go to the Natural History Museum, too. My husband and son went there this Christmas and loved it!! Also FREE!! quite crowded due to a school holiday, but they had a great time anyway.

Jun 9th, 2002, 08:10 AM
ajs

Marilyn,

The Amsterdam in Earl's Court is a popular hotel. It's right next to the tube, and they have a suite for those days for 80 pounds a night. Seems like a good deal at laterooms.com

Jun 9th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Marilyn Krantz

Thanks again. We landed up booking the Mayflower Apartments for $$99 pounds (inclusive of all taxes. It has a kitchen which will be nice (I hope!) The Amsterdam did not have rooms available for a family on the days we needed. We also found that some of the hotels did not have no-smoking rooms available. We located the Mayflower on laterooms.com. Can we purchase tickets for the Gatwick Express over the internet? Thanks again.

Jun 9th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Betsy

Marilyn:

I don't know the specifics, but for a family of four there may be a less expensive alternative, such as a taxi, than the Gatwick Express for getting into London. Maybe someone more knowledgable will reply.