Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Last few days in Italy -- North of Tuscany -- ideas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/last-few-days-in-italy-north-of-tuscany-ideas-1008310/)

socalamy Mar 12th, 2014 01:05 PM

Last few days in Italy -- North of Tuscany -- ideas?

My family (myself, husband, kids ages 11, 9, and 5.5) are going to Italy this July with my husband's family. We will spend a few days in Rome and then a week in Tuscany. Following that, I'd like for just the 5 of us to take a few days for a third destination. But where?

My first inclination was the Cinque Terres, though I've since heard it may not be a good fit for younger kids. Mine are good to hike a couple miles in the California canyons but that is not constant up-and-down.

Now I am wondering if there are other destinations on the Ligurian coast we should be considering. I've heard Portofino is very expensive. Would Genoa be a city worth visiting for 3 days? Or should we consider the lakes region? The kids are interested in Venice but have been warned that July is quite possibly the worst time to visit and perhaps would be easier with somewhat older children.

Your experience and suggestions would be most welcome!

Amy

sandralist Mar 12th, 2014 01:13 PM

It would help to know exactly where in Tuscany you will be (it is a very big place) and what airport you need to fly home. Also whether you will have a car.

In the meantime look up Lerici. It is beautiful but it is not as steep as le Cinque Terre and has better swimming. It also has more to do (especially if you have a car).

If you need to fly out of Rome then look up Sperlonga.

You can reach both these towns by public transport although with your family a car would be easier.

dfourh Mar 12th, 2014 03:30 PM

Camogli is nice. The beach is rocks, but the kids won't mind because it is so friendly and fun, the town is gently alive and beautiful. It is such an easy and convivial place to be. Nice swimming, great strolling and passagiata, and all very pretty.

From there you can do daytrips to Genoa, Sta. Margherita Ligure, Portofino, and yes, Cinque Terre. You don't have to hike Cinque Terre - - instead you can do a whistle-stop tour on the train, visiting each of the villages until you've realized how small and little is to do there, or until the rest of the tourists have driven you away.

socalamy Mar 12th, 2014 04:18 PM

Sandralist and dfourh, thank you so much for your suggestions! Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Our flights are not yet booked, and we can fly out of Rome, Milan, Venice, or Florence for about the same $ (though flying from Florence for the same $ requires 2 stops, which I'd rather avoid).

In Tuscany we will be staying about 45k southwest of Florence. The nearest town is Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. I believe our plans include visiting Florence, San Gimignano, possibly Siena, possible Pisa, possibly Lucca, and if my daughter gets her way, horseback riding. We will definitely have a car while we are in Tuscany and could either keep it or travel by train for the "next phase."

Again, thank you for your thoughts -- everything sounds delightful!

bobthenavigator Mar 12th, 2014 04:43 PM

I too would suggest somewhere on the Ligurian coast, but not right in the CT. Camogli is a good option, as is Lerici, and I would add another with a good beach---Levanto.
You will need a car---a SUV or full size wagon with 5.

Good luck planning.

sandralist Mar 12th, 2014 04:49 PM

Since you mention horseback riding, you could make your life very simple by going to the Maremma area of Tuscany, which has both beach and horseback riding. You can fly out of Rome airport. Just do a google search for "maremma horseback riding" and also "maremma tuscany beach". There are still some wonderful wild beaches along that coastline, but in July you should only go to them on weekdays, because otherwise you will never find parking. Go horseback riding on the weekends or visit a few small interesting towns, or go fishing or take a cooking class....

If you choose instead to go to Lerici, you should fly out of Milan. You can drive yourself there the night before your flight or drop off your car in La Spezia and take the train up. I wouldn't bother going all the way to Camogli. It is too small to hold interest for very long and I honestly think your 5.5. year old is not going to want to be taking day trips unless by car or boat. You can take a boat to le Cinque Terre from Lerici, but in July the place is just a zoo. Take a boat to Portovenere instead.

If you choose to go to Sperlonga, south of Rome, you can keep your car and drive yourself to FCO Rome airport.

One way or the other I would keep the car. It comes in handy in the hot weather when you need an escape from the beach. There are interesting places around both Lerici and Sperlonga for excursions, and around the Maremma.

sandralist Mar 12th, 2014 05:00 PM

I have no idea what this place costs but just to give you an idea of the area...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o_Tuscany.html

http://www.laroccadeibriganti.it/