Last 4-5 nights in southern France Recommendations

16 Day Trip:
Switzerland 4 nts Alps
Annecy 2 nts. Lake and relax
Lourmarin 4-5 nts. Visit Villages/ hiking

I have left 4-5 nts.
Fly out of Nice.

Should we go to coastal areas?
We donít like a city, prefer local ambience.
Is Cassis special?
Many Thanks.

Old Jul 27th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassis is good for 1-2 nights - but there isn't much to do there. How about the Nice Hinterlands?? Stay in St Paul de Vence for a base. There is info about the Nice Hinterlands in my Provence/Cote d'Azur itinerary.

See attached

Here is my wife's Shutterfly book from a trip we took to Provence & the Nice Hinterlands
Click "Full screen"
https://stududley.shutterfly.com/62
The Nice Hinterlands starts on Pg 86. Shown is the section containing Entrevaux & north. Missing is the area between Nice & Entrevaux. The latter area is in another Shutterfly book. If you are interested - let me know & I provide a link to it.

Stu Dudley
Attached Files

Last edited by StuDudley; Jul 27th, 2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Yes - that’s what was thinking so you have confirmed my initial thought.
Currently, booked in le mass du Chanoine in Vence.
...Can visit coastal and other sublime areas
I’ll view your pics.
So glad to finalize so I can look back at Earlier part in Switzerland and consider changes.
(Lucerne 2 nts/then Murren 2 nts —might make all 4 nts in Lucerne..weather, luggage, etc )

Since you are so knowledgeable, I may have noted previously, what about your own web site like Provence and Beyond?

Old Jul 27th, 2022, 01:53 PM

''Since you are so knowledgeable, I may have noted previously, what about your own web site like Provence and Beyond?

That seems like work. I'm retired.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 03:09 PM

The calanques of Cassis are lovely for a 1-2 hr boat ride, not too much else is there, but Marseilles is close. St. Paul de Vence is just NW of Nice, we are returning there this October but will stay again in La Perouse in Nice where we were many, many years ago. It is set in a mountain that faces the sea and just next to Villefranche, Cap St Jean Ferrat and Beaulieu For 4-5 nights you can easily get a car and go from Monaco to St. Tropez, and up into the villages off the coast. Provence is another trip and deserves more time. We decided not to challenge ourselves with a flight from Nice thru Zurich with only a 40 minute layover, especially this year! We are TGVing back to Paris and flying back from there the following morning. We love the vibe of the Citizen M at CDG. Check your timing from Nice and be sure you have some hours for your connection.

For Switzerland, it's best to stay up in the mountain villages, but Lucerne is a bit north, you can stay in Interlaken for better access to the BO, if weather is stellar, then go up into the Wengen, Grindenwald, etc, if not, from Interlaken you can take train over to Bern.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

I’ll consider your ideas —I’m greatfull for input from travels who have actual experience.

Flights: We fly direct to NYC, then home, least amount of stops.1 stop ea way.
My son went to France a few weeks ago. His luggage has not surfaced yet.
We plan to have a carryon and backpack for each of us.
We have TSA, working on Global Entry.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 06:55 AM

I think you made a good decision to stay in Vence. It's bigger than St Paul and less totally touristy. St Paul is lovely for a stroll, but it doesn't, at least to me, feel like a real place. We stayed in Vence before returning to the US and were very glad we did. Another possibility is Biot, another pretty hill town that's close to Nice.

For the record, I love Annecy. Touristy though it is (and we're all tourists, aren't we?), I'd suggest you take the lake cruise--the scenery is breathtaking.

I don't know what villages you particularly want to see in the Luberon, but do be aware that Lourmarin is south of the mountains, so to get places on the other side you must drive through a pass. This isn't a big deal, but it's very winding and at night can be a bit intimidating until you get used to it. There's plenty to see on the south side, not to mention Aix and Cassis and the towns along the Mediterranean, and maybe that's what attracted you, so take this for what it's worth.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the affirmation.
Now concerned about Lourmarin and driving windy roads; I’ll take a look.
Since driving from Annecy, could visit a village on the way and/ or plan 1 day to go North.
Excellent practical advice. Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 06:42 AM

""Now concerned about Lourmarin and driving windy roads;""

Just 1 winding road - the Combe de Lourmarin heading north to Bonnieux & the upper Luberon.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Winding road may not be an issue, but in an unfamiliar country, it could or not be treacherous for me, a bit queasy-especially when most sites are in Gordes area that interest me on this trip.

Latest Itinerary, (unless I tweak Switzerland)
Arrive in Zurich
Lucerne. 2 nts
Murren. 2 nts
Annecy. 2 nts
Gordes 4 nts
Sanary-sur-Mer 3 nts
Vence. 2 nts
Return from Nice
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 10:53 AM

Sanary is an interesting choice, Itís very beautiful and not an obvious choice for most visitors,

i donít know how old you are or whether youíd even care, but Sanary was a refuge for exiled or refugee Jewish and non-Jewish intellectuals during World War ll. These included Thomas Mann, Berthold Brecht, and Aldous Huxley, but there were many more. Something to think about in this sparkling, idyllic place.

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Sanary SM appears lovely; albeit, a leap of faith planning a trip to place Ive never been-hence, I appreciate the positive thoughts.
I do adore historical fiction( just realized that's an oxymoron ).
France has had so many horrendous historical events. Ill investigate the gentlemen that you noted.
au revoir
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 09:59 AM

Sanary-sur-Mer is an unusual choice for non-French, but it is very popular with the French. Your choice near St. Paul de Vence has good access to the road, but make sure it meets your isolation requirements as the further you get down towards the see the more suburban it starts to get. You will need to drive to the village and to Vence (and past to Tourettes and Gourdon, and other places that might interest you, like the loop that involves Peille, Peillon, La Turbie and Eze)

Be aware that Gordes has a lot of morning traffic for their market --- lovely, but just keep in mind. That road from Lourmarin is not long but it is quite windy. Not too scary except for the first time at night, as like many French roads, there aren't much in the way of barrier posts and lights.