Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Last 3 days of Spain trip in Madrid Or Seville? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/last-3-days-of-spain-trip-in-madrid-or-seville-345192/)

relaford Aug 6th, 2003 07:24 AM

Last 3 days of Spain trip in Madrid Or Seville?

I am walking the Camino de Santiago (starting in Leon) in September winding up in Santiago de Compostela September 25th.

I will have 3 nights to spend either in Madrid or Seville before flying back to the states from Madrid.

I am not into art museums. (yes, I heard those collective moans from art lovers) also Madrid's night life holds as much appeal to me as watching paint dry. Can't help it .. I am a morning person.

I am leaning more toward Seville than Madrid. I am thinking of flying from Santiago de Compostela to Seville on Thursday Sept. 25th spending 3 nights there and, as my plane does not depart Madrid until early afternoon on Sunday Sept. 28th, I could either catch an early morning flight from Seville to Madrid that Sunday or take the AVE train. 3 days is not enough time to split between the two cities. Also I have heard Seville's ambiance outduels Madrid's.
Hold everything! Am I being too harsh and jumping to conclusions about Madrid? I am trying to keep an open mind about what to do so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any good 50 to 60 euro Madrid or Seville hotels (I am traveling solo )you would recommend. Thanks for your help.

travelon2 Aug 6th, 2003 07:53 AM

Definitely Seville. Madrid is boring. Seville was great to walk about, and there's the Alhambra gardens which are out of this world! I stayed at a small hotel near the main cathedral (can't remember the name) and the Alhambra -- had a roof deck and not too much $.

staceyB Aug 6th, 2003 08:07 AM

Definitely Seville! It's a wonderful place - you will just love it. However, contrary to travelon2's posting - the Alhambra is in Granada, not Seville.

travelon2 Aug 6th, 2003 08:11 AM

Woops. I meant the Alcazar. The Alhambra is in Grenada.

cooter Aug 6th, 2003 11:22 AM

Tough choice, but I would lean toward Madrid. Thriving cosmopolitan city, good base for day trips (Segovia, for example), great food, entertainment, etc and the full-blown ambience of being in Spain's most energetic and vibrant city. If art museums aren't your bag, there's a great archeological and a decent military museum as well, as well as museums devoted to the Americas. El Escorial is certainly worth a visit. Then again, I have not yet been to Sevilla, so my opinion is certainly biased. Look at it this way, either way, you can't lose. In Madrid, the sol-melia hotel chain website often has 50 Euro/night deals in 3 or 4 star hotels, and you can check out www.madridman.com for a list of fine hostals.

One other option, since you'll be ending up in Santiago anyway, how about spending your last three nights there or combined with La Coruña? There's certainly plenty to see, and Galicia is gorgeous. Enjoy the camino.

Intrepid Aug 6th, 2003 12:02 PM

I agree..anyone who is truly "bored" in Madrid needs to STAY out in the (hot as Hell in Summer) weeds in Seville!

artlover Aug 6th, 2003 12:22 PM

I am an art lover (surprise--LOL) and would pick Seville in a heartbeat. I loved the Prado and Sofia and liked Madrid, but LOVED Seville. Just roaming the streets in the Bario de Santa Cruz and spending time at The Plaza Espana and going to the Alcazar and the incredible cathedral were wonderful, but seeing flameco at Los Gallos was fantanstic. By all means, I'd say Seville.

colleenk Aug 6th, 2003 12:47 PM

No question about it- Seville! I have been twice and would go back again in a minute! Beautiful city with great restaurants ambience and friendly people. Madrid is nice but Seville is charming!!!

artlover Aug 6th, 2003 04:28 PM

To reemphasize...

James Mitchner put it beautifully in his book "Iberia"

"Seville doesn't HAVE ambience, it IS ambience."

relaford Aug 8th, 2003 05:57 AM

Thanks, everybody, for all your helpful suggestions.