Large group transportation in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is traveling in Italy in June. There are 13 of us (7 adults, 6 kids). We're going from Rome to Sorrento (staying in a villa), and then Sorrento to Tuscany (staying in a villa) with day trips to Pompeii, Capri and local towns. I would like to use a minibus with a driver for the 2 long drives, but it looks very expensive. Does anyone have a recommendation for me? Do you recommend any transportation companies or alternatives?
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Until someone posts, try a search on trip advisor.

My late DH and I got a driver for one day in Italy (Umbria area) and it was 200 euros so I know it'll be expensive with your 13 and luggage. Here's his link: Autonoleggio Stefano Mogini - Perugia

It lists minibus which you would need. Good luck.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 03:30 PM

You wouldn't be able to rent a vehicle for 13 with a normal driver's license, so your choices are a driver or multiple vehicles, provided you have enough drivers. Probably the cheapest option would be to rent two 8-person vans, or one 7-person car and two 5-person cars. ( A 7-person car has the sixth and seventh person in what would otherwise be the luggage compartment, so two of those wouldn't do. Nor do I think three 5-person vehicles would work unless you all are very disciplined packers.)

Multiple vehicles would also allow you to split up occasionally when you find your group's enthusiasm is not focused on a single destination. We took a family trip to Ireland a few years ago. We were six, and we could have rented a single 7-passenger car, but we decided to rent two cars because of the luggage issue. In the end, it was a great advantage having an extra car so that we could occasionally do different things. (It also allows A and B to grouse about C and D without serious consequences. )

Last edited by bvlenci; Mar 20th, 2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I would like to use a minibus with a driver for the 2 long drives, but it looks very expensive.<<

You are transporting 13 people and a ton of luggage. That would cost a lot of money no matter where. Whether it is 'too' expensive is hard to say. What quotes have you received so far?

Since presumably you will have multiple cars For Sorrento and Tuscany -- why not keep them for the entire time?

oops - bevlenci and I were posting at the same time . . .