Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Large Group (15) going to France in May, Need help!

Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I've been put in charge of planning a trip for a club that I'm a part of. We're thinking of going to France. Here's the thing:
1. We'll be flying into Paris or Nice.
2. We have only 7 days May 4-11 including flight time.
3. The trip has to be agriculturally oriented [50%] Citrus is required, vineyards are a plus. And, of course 50% tourism.
4. 15 people total, 2 or will be professors, the rest people in their 20's.

I'd personally like to go to paris and see the main tourist traps, I mean sites. The louvre, Eifel tower, champes elyses, you get the idea.
I'd like to see a Cheataux. A vineyard.

I prepared a whirlwind tour of France in my head, but the pace of the trip worries me. Afterall, vacations are about relaxing AND seeing new places too.

Here's how it went. Fly into Paris, spend 2days.
TGV to Bordeaux (vineyard).
1day?
Train to Montepillier (Citrus).
1day
TGV to avignon.
TGV to Paris.
Go home.

Any suggestions????

Brandon
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:54 PM
Michael

Nice might make more sense in terms of your citrus requirement. Arrive in Nice, leave from Paris, and in between you can stop anywhere along the Rhône to visit a vineyard. Can't help you more in regards to citrus, but the California crop is good this year.

Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:54 PM
Maira

Brandon, honey, you are right...you do need help. If citrus is a requirement and vineyards are a plus, take them to California.

Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:56 PM

You don't need to jump around so much in such a short period of time. There are vineyards, citrus, and plenty of other agriculture in Montpellier, Avignon, and the area in between. I'd pick one destination.

How is this group of 15 going to get to the vineyards and other sites?
Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are quick! Thanks.
You're all right, this is tough. It wouldn't be a problem if we could just stay in the south, but I have a feeling that this is the only opportunity I'll have to get out of the country for a while, and I wanna see Paris too. The citrus requirement is a part of the the club rules. They've gone to Italy, Brazil, Spain, and Mexico in the past. I wanted to try something different.

What about transportation for 15 people? Are there buses for rent/hire there? Especially, in the Cote D'Azur/Provence area. Any other suggestions?

I really appreciate it.

Oh, and the club website if you're interested is http://www.hos.ufl.edu/citrusclub
Look under trips leaf for pictures.
Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:39 PM
pop

There once was a tiny little vineyard in the Montmarte area of Paris.

If you go to the South of France, you will have no problem finding a vineyard. With 15 people involved, keep your major travels as limited as possible as it is too much of a pain in the ass to get 15 twenty y/o to follow a schedule of any kind.

There is a lemon festival somewhere in the Cote D'Azur (Menton, I think) in late February. You could have a glass of wine with a Lemoncello chaser to meet your criteria. Good luck.
Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the Fete de Citron in Menton. It's a real shame we won't be going until May. That right there would've killed to birds with one stone. Cultural experience with a agricultural fair all wrapped in one pretty package.

So, I take it that Paris is out, if major excursions are a problem. I really do wonder about getting 15 people around. It'd have to be public buses or a private rented one. What a mess...
Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:01 PM

You'd have to have a special license to drive a bus big enough to hold 15 people, so I suspect that is out. And the rural French public bus system is not geared toward taking people to sites that visitors might want to see, though you might get lucky and find one that happens to stop near vineyards or citrus orchards, but that would require a whole lot of very detailed research.

I think your only hope is to hire a guide to take you and your crew to the various spots you want to see. Theoretically, if well planned, you could spend 3 days in the south of France and two in Paris.
Feb 4th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Vincent

FYI, the main region for "industrial" citrus production (mainly tangerines) in France is Corsica. The island also produces wine, it's strikingly beautiful, and it would make an original, hardly ever mentioned on this forum (unrightlty so), destination. There are frequent and cheap flights from Paris. Rough Guides publishes a guide book on Corsica.