Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Large Ferris Wheel in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/large-ferris-wheel-in-paris-677672/)

azzure Feb 7th, 2007 12:52 PM

Large Ferris Wheel in Paris?

Recently I watched two movies -- one was the Da Vinci Code and I can't remember the other one!! -- that showed a large ferris wheel in the background of some Parisian scenes -- apparently visible from the Champs Elysees? We were in Paris in October and didn't notice a ferris wheel. Anyone know what this was?

alanRow Feb 7th, 2007 12:58 PM

La Grande Roue in La Place De Concorde

Christina Feb 7th, 2007 01:00 PM

I believe it's a summer thing, just like a lot of amusement park/fair rides. They don't have it all year round. It's in the Tuileries, just west of the Louvre, in the summer, as least that's where I've seen it.

maitaitom Feb 7th, 2007 01:11 PM

We went on the Ferris Wheel the week before Christmas. Got some nice shots of the Tuileries and Champs Elysees. I think it cost 9 Euro each to ride.

((H))

ira Feb 7th, 2007 01:16 PM

Hi azz,

Thank the Lord it's not permanent, yet.

((I))

Christina Feb 7th, 2007 01:25 PM

yeah, it's really ugly in the middle of a city. So how come Maitatom saw it in December, but azzure didn't see it in October? Since it's a roving carnival thing, maybe they go away from a while in the Fall and come back for the holiday period?

maitaitom Feb 7th, 2007 02:49 PM

"So how come Maitatom saw it in December,..."

I believe I remember someone saying that they do put it up for the holiday season, but I might have been drinking.

((H))

DinPa Feb 7th, 2007 02:54 PM

Yes, my DW and I also saw these movies with the wheel in it and realized that we did not see it when we were standing outside the Louvre in May. We did walk around that way too. We were beginning to wonder if something was wrong with our eyesight as it was clearly there in the movies.

amandab Feb 7th, 2007 04:48 PM

I was in Paris 12-16 January and didn't see it, must have been walking around blind. Shame, I would have liked to have gone for a ride.

amyb Feb 7th, 2007 06:45 PM

Sometime around 1999-2000 there was one in the Place de la Concorde in March of that year, since it was either my first or second trip there that I rode on it. Great view. Not sure why it's semi-permanent or where it may be now, but I also saw it in the Da Vinci Code right after I returned from Paris in May and realized it wasn't there then.

norween Feb 7th, 2007 09:23 PM

It's not permanent - only during the winter holidays (it used to stay longer some years ago, arouns 1999-2001).

Belledame Feb 8th, 2007 10:02 AM

I definitely saw it Christmas week 2005. Took pictures in front of it. If you didn't see it, then it wasn't there. That is a huge carousel and it sits right behind the obelisk monument at Place de la Concorde. It is directly on the path from Arc de Triomphe to the Louvre, by the entrance to the Jardin de Tuileries.

radiofanatic Feb 8th, 2007 10:17 AM

we were there over thanksgiving and it wasn't up