Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

large family accommodations in Wengen/Grindelwald

Mar 8th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

We plan to be in Wengen (second choice is Grindelwald) from June 23 -30, 2007. Our family includes 10 adults and our 8 grandchildren. We have traveled as a group before to France and to Costa Rica so everyone is experienced. Our preference is for one or two large chalets or a small hotel - any insights?
We will be coming from Venice and I know we can come by train but has anyone any ideas about driving in a couple of large vans? Thanks for any help.
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Here is a partial list of hotels and chalets/apartments in Wengen:

http://www.wengen.com/hotels.html

Click on "apartments" to see those, or look at the apartments offered by Hotel Bernerhof---they have several all in one building).

Wengen is car-free, so you would have to leave your vans in Lauterbrunnen for the week, and ride the train down to use them. I think the train from Venice would be more cost-effective, expecially since children under 16 can ride trains for free with a parent.
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Enzien: I read your note about children under 16 riding the train from Venice for free with a parent. Is that with a rail pass or on point to point travel too? My own family plans to travel from Venice into Switz. (probably Montreux) and this would be good news to us!
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM

kikianne---I am not sure about point-to-point tickets; we have always used a pass. Others here have said it is true for point-to-point tickets too, but you may need to pay for a Family card with your first ticket purchase. The Family Card is free if you order it at the same time as your pass. There may be information on the Swiss rail site.

Aren't you the one looking for a night train from Venice to Montreux? I don't think the sleeping car bed would be free; just the basic ticket.
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions enzian. I've developed a couple of good options and did used your web site reference.
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks Enzian. Yes, I'm the one looking into the Venice-Montreux night train. (apparently no longer an option).

I'll check into the Family Card. I've pretty much finalized our itinerary, so I'm at the point of deciding whether a pass or pt. to pt. travel is the best option. Thanks again!