Large Car Rental in Bayeux?

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large Car Rental in Bayeux?

5 adults with healthy luggage will be traveling from Paris to Bayeux to pick up a rental car to tour Normandy.

Is it possible to rent a car in Bayeux to return to Paris or must we go to Caen?

Has anyone in a similar situation rented a car of this size? What did you get?

I'm concerned that the luggage will not fit. You can rent a station wagon for half the price of a van. Of course would prefer to spend less money but don't want to be short of luggage space.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM

i suspect that for five adults and luggage you're going to need a van. try the autoeurope site to see what's available in bayeux.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM

What type of luggage are you planning on carrying? I'd advise you to take only soft-sided luggage so it will fit into the trunk of the car.

As far as renting a car, station wagon or van goes, the larger cars generally are better at handling the luggage. Vans, although roomy, are really not set up for a lot of luggage, and certainly not for keeping it out of site if you are parked somewhere with the luggage inside.

For five adults you have your choice of either a Peugeot 407 or a Renault Laguna. Renault only makes one larger sedan, the Vel Satis, which is a luxury car. For touring vans there is the Renault Espace and Grand Espace. The Peugeot 807 touring van is another option. The VW Bus is also available through Auto Europe.

Based on the cost of renter the larger vehicles and the parking requirements, you may be better off renting two smaller cars with large trunks. You might also be aware that most rental cars, including the larger ones, are manual transmissions. Automatics, if available, will cost you a lot more.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:06 PM

The Peugeot 407 and Renault Laguna are too small for 5 people to use comfortably. I would go for the Renault Vel Satis, the Peugeot 607 or one of the vans already mentioned.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:09 PM

For 5 people, each with a suitcase (24-26") and a carryon - no car will be big enough. None of the full size car trunks will hold more than 3 of these suitcases. So you will need either a van or a station wagon (very rare in europe - can;t remember when I;ve seen one - and I would avoid just because its so noticeable).

Just be aware that you will have to be very careful not to leave the car anywhere with the luggage visible (ie if you go in to eat you willneed to park where you can see it).
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Dear MR: I suggest two cars. That way, you don't have to worry about the availability (What do you say when they say. "sorry") of you special vehicle. Pragmatism seems to prevail in France. Gradyghost.