Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Languedoc Roussillon area suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/languedoc-roussillon-area-suggestions-716243/)

Nicole_Vol_Fan Jun 26th, 2007 01:09 PM

Languedoc Roussillon area suggestions

My husband and I will be in the oulouse area July 11 - 16. He's got business there on July 12, 13. I've rented a car for the entire period. (Is this a good idea?) We will visit Carcassone for Bastille Day, but I was looking for suggestions on what to do the rest of the time. Any help would be much appreciated. Nicole

Pvoyageuse Jun 26th, 2007 10:40 PM

Toulouse belongs to the Midi Pyrenees area and not Languedoc Roussillon.

You can visit Albi, Cordes and Castres, or drive South to Pamiers, Foix and visit Gtrotte de Niaux.

From Carcassonne either go to the beaches or to the Cathar castles

Jen Jun 27th, 2007 09:02 AM

Agree that Cathar castles are great. And driving in the area is easy and quite picturesque, especially if you stay off the main highways.

For what it's worth, I liked Carcassone, but would avoid it like the plague on Bastille Day... I was there in the shoulder season (early May) and it was quite crowded with tourists. I imagine that BD would be total madness.

Amy40 Jun 27th, 2007 02:41 PM

I'm with Jen on avoiding Carcassone on a holiday. Parking is an issue as well.

We were in the area so we felt compelled to see Carcassone, but it felt too much like Disney to us. We made the obligatory rounds and got outta dodge.

There are so many other interesting places to visit. Pvoyageuse mentioned a few. We loved Albi and the Auberge du Poids Public in St. Felix Lauragais. Fabulous for an overnight and affordable Michelin 1-star dinner. (There's another thread here on the Auberge.)

Collioure and Ceret were also a wonderful destination for us on that trip. We'd go back in a heartbeat. I might rather be on the coast for BD. But, that's just me...

Cimbrone Jun 27th, 2007 02:48 PM

I was just in Uzes, and loved it! Don't know how far it is from Toulouse, but it's a wonderful medieval town. Saturday is market day--time your trip for that. And the Hotel General d'Entraigues is terrific.

StCirq Jun 27th, 2007 03:06 PM

Uzès is in Provence, not exactly anywhere near Toulouse.

You might want to do a loop from Toulouse up to Gaillac, then down to Graulhet, Puylaurent, Revel, Castelnaudary, and back up to Toulouse. Lots of pretty scenery and interesting towns along the way (and plenty of wine!).

Cimbrone Jun 27th, 2007 03:14 PM

StCirq, Uzes is in the Languedoc Rousillon, very close to the border of Provence. I've also seen it listed as being in the Gard, a different category of regions. Not too sure how that works.

That said, having checked on a map, you're right that it's quite a way from Toulouse.

StCirq Jun 27th, 2007 05:21 PM

Hi, Cimbrone:

You're right about Uzès. But Toulouse is NOT in the Languedoc-Roussillon, it's in the Midi-Pyrénées.

Pvoyageuse Jun 27th, 2007 10:19 PM

"I've also seen it listed as being in the Gard, a different category of regions. Not too sure how that works".

A "region" is an administrative area made of several "départements". There are 95 départements in France and 22 "régions (not counting the oversea ones.

The départements of Languedoc-Roussillon are Hérault, Gard, Aude, Pyrénées Orientales and Lozère.
Nîmes is in Département du Gard AND in Languedoc-Roussillon.

ekscrunchy Jun 28th, 2007 02:53 AM

Here is what I did last month in one very enjoyable day:

Depart Monasties (but you could do this from Toulouse):

Make a circuit: Cordes sur Ciel; Bruniquel; Puycelsi: Castelnau de Montmiral. Each of these towns is exquisite and the route takes you through the scenery of the Gorges de Ayveron. From Castelnau we continued on to Gaillac to see the historic district and the cathedral and then visited a few vineyards...

Nikki Jun 28th, 2007 04:08 AM

A couple years ago I was in Albi over July 14, and there were fantastic fireworks there. People were talking about how good the Albi fireworks were in other towns I visited.

travelbunny Jun 28th, 2007 04:13 AM

Nicole, if you type in Stu Dudley in the Fodor European search box, you will find some wonderful info and itinerary. I found it most helpful.