Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Languedoc Rousillon to the Dordogne - See what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. From northern Provence, we will likely go for 3 nights to Languedoc-Roussillon (Uzes, Montpellier, other?) before we head to the Dordogne...

SO: Suggestions for a base in that latter region?

2. We could take a different route, if someone has a better suggestion of how to get from the Drome to the Dordogne by a more picturesque route.

3. However, if we do indeed head north from Montpellier, we could see the new Millau bridge and exit the motorway at Severac le Chateau, heading to Figeac and finally Gramat.

Any suggestions of places to stop, stay overnight, whatever?

4. Must-sees in the Dordogne? Must-eat-at restaurants? Our centre will be near Gramat, an area I know and love, but I would be glad to venture afield somewhat -- we have a week in a gite....

...but we leave on SUNDAY! Immediate advice on Qs.1-4 urgently sought!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:15 PM

tedgate, my husband and I were in the Dordogne in June and had an amazing time. Check my trip report for ideas:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...olyn&fid=2
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Hi

If you will go down into Rousillon, it is better to be based near the A9 autoroute, and probably somewhere near Beziers. This would give you an easy day trip to the Spanish border, or to Uzes, Aigues Mortes etc in the East.

Hotels in Languedoc are listed here :
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/to...ndex-towns.htm

and restaurants here :
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/to...estaurants.htm

Peter

Peter
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:29 AM

We stayed in both the Langedoc and Dordogne in June. Here is our full trip report (with pix):

http://www.onelittleworld.com/france_1.html

FYI, we stayed a couple of nights in the town of Pezenas, and enjoyed it, before moving on to our rental house in the Dordogne.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Still doing my trip report, but we had a great 24 hours in Toulouse, then 2 nights in the Pyrenees, then a night near Perpignan which is near the top of my top ten towns list! I've also heard Narbonne is lovely.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM
ira

Hi t,

I so rarely get to suggest an overnight at the Moulin de Cambelong near Conques, but your route from Montpellier to Figeac is so close.

http://www.moulindecambelong.com/

Details in my trip report:
Ira Does France

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34676645

Photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-pla2au

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Ira - you've done it again. Place looks great and is going on my "must stay here" list.
I am intrigued by the description of one of the rooms - "double bed lime pit foot with terrace" - any ideas?
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

These are all great suggestions and I am so grateful for the advice, all the more so as we have left the planning so late!

All further suggestions welcome!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM

We just got back from France yesterday and had a wonderful stay in Cahors, lots to see and do. Can't say enough about the Logis de France's La Chartreuse *** and its gastronomic restaurant. Don't try to book same day--too coveted among French businessmen. Ask for a river side room (has balcony and view of city/bridge) Airconditioned and great pool if visiting in hot weather.

Shipped my guidebooks back home, so don't have them to refer to...but near Severac le Chateau is the tiny town of Laissac with a restaurant to die for! It's a small Logis de France hotel with the restaurant upstairs. 3rd generation of chefs with framed newspapers writeups on the wall. Gourmet meal for beggarman's prices; though they have inexpensive menu (15-19 euro 3 courses), splurge for the pricier option--wow! One of the best meals in all our trips to France.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi ann,

>I am intrigued by the description of one of the rooms - "double bed lime pit foot with terrace" - any ideas?<

We stayed in that room. It is toward the back of the inn, facing out over the mill race and the river.

Very comfortable, huge bathroom. Shower is large enough for two.

Highly recommended.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM

thanks, Ira; one day soon, perhaps.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Yikes -- just back from 2 day business trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Left at dawn Thursday, a scant 8 hours after my dear spouse returned from 2 days at the UN in NYC.

Are we ready? Hardly! and tomorrow we scoot up to the lakeside cottage for a few hours, to see 2 favourite neighbours (just in from Manhattan) whom DS did not manage to see in NYC this week.......

Meanwhile, Fodorites have been busy filling in the gaps for us.

When we return I shall post a report to relate all we saw and did.

DS and I split at CDG airport on October 15 -- DS on to Warsaw, on business. Later, a few weeks together in Canada before DS's departure for W Africa (Ghana, Nigeria and Senegal) on business -- plus a little side trip via Zurich to meet with the Swiss government. (Is this anyone's idea of RETIREMENT?)