Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Languedoc/Costa Brava/Pyrenees-- need help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/languedoc-costa-brava-pyrenees-need-help-518993/)

jonesie Apr 6th, 2005 08:39 AM

Languedoc/Costa Brava/Pyrenees-- need help!

OK, getting near a panic that I leave for Barcelona in 6 days and I don't have our plans cemented!
I would love to go to the Basque region, but with only about 4/4.5 days to explore, that's just too ambitious, I now realize.
So, here is what I am thinking now:
From Barcelona, drive up the Costa Brava--
have read that Cadaques is wonderful; what other not to miss stops are there? Is Cadaques the best place to spend the night? (Note: we aren't into the club scene, but would love to have some charming restuarants to choose from, quiet bar or cafe where we can have a drink and write in our journals.)
Day 2 - Drive from Costa Brava into France, would like to see Peyrepertuse and Queribus castles, thinking about staying in or near Lagrasse. Would we also be able to squeeze Carcassone in that day, or be better to try to see some of the wineries, and leave Carcassone for the next day?
Day 3 - Carcassone or the wineries - anything else close by we should not miss? Have heard about caves and gorges in Langueduc, but not sure where they are. Also, this will be a Saturday-- any good markets??
Day 4 - head back towards Barcelona through the Pyrenees-- what is a good route to take/villages to stop in? Should we plan to make it back to Barcelona the same day, or plan to spend the night somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help!

buongiorno Apr 6th, 2005 09:08 AM

Lagrasse is of beautiful little town, you'll love it. On your way back down to Barcelona, stop in Colluire on the coast, it's where Henri Mattisse lived. It's a lovely seaside town.

As far as what you can "squeeze" in, I think the Carcassone trip is very much doably. I imagine you are talking about the old walled town as opposed to the lower new town. If you haven't been there, it isn't very large and you could easily walk every street in a relatively short period of time.

When we went to that area we stayed in Fabrezon in a B & B called lou Castelet. It was very nice and was a good spot for touring the area. They have a website.

jd_dallas Apr 6th, 2005 04:46 PM

We really liked Cadaques and wished that we could stay a night. It is quiet and laid back, built around a picturesque harbor, and I'm sure that you can find nice restaurants to while away the time. Be aware that it is truly off the beaten track, and you will need to devote a good deal of time to driving to and from it.

Regarding restaurants, I had printed a review from the New York Times travel section, regarding a restaurant that sounded fabulous. We were going there for lunch. . . until we lost the article, and couldn't remember the name. Anyway, I suggest you search the NYT travel archive for such an article about 2003 or 04, it sounded great.

We had lunch at a place overlooking the water, it may have been called "Pescador," or something close to that. We can't remember, but we had very good seafood. But I still wanted to try the other place. We shall return!

Hope you make it to Cadaques.

StuDudley Apr 6th, 2005 05:17 PM

I spent two weeks in that region (Roussillon) last year. I included my favorite drives, villages, sites, restaurants, etc in my 35+ page Languedoc itinerary. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley

Michael Apr 6th, 2005 05:25 PM

Mirepoix is a nice town to visit. A nice scenic road is the one between Quillan and Prades, over the col de Jer (or is it Jar?). You might also like the road from Prades to La Tour de Carol with a <i>plus beau village</i> (although I found it disappointing) and Vauban fortifications farther up the road. From La Tour de Carol you can go down on the Spanish side. We went up the Sapnish side, using the local road rather than taking the tunnel.

julies Apr 6th, 2005 07:03 PM

I'm probably in the minority here, but Carcassone didn't really do a thing for us. I wouldn't take the time and would do other things instead.

mpprh Apr 7th, 2005 10:54 AM

Hi

just a few points ...

You can do Montpellier - Cadaques - Girona - Figueres - Montpellier in a day, if you start early &amp; return late. I did it it a few weeks ago. You can only scratch the surface on such a trip and you spend a long time on the autoroute.

Cadaques is worth a visit. If you stay overnight you should take the coast road to France (stopping at Dali's house in Port Legat ?) and spend the next night in Collioure.

Carcassonne looks great. It was restored (badly) relatively recently. By all means visit, but be aware that the views on Carcassonne are very mixed (the best Languedoc walled city is Aigues Mortes but it is too far away). And historians don't have a good word to say about Carcassonne !

Both Perpignan &amp; Narbonne have things worth seeing. You could also think about Tautavel Man.

Return by the autoroute. n.b. both Collioure and Cadaques are a long way from the autoroute.

As a further idea, Girona is on the autoroute, has a wonderful medieval old town, and has great restaurants : worth a visit ?

If you pop off the motorway into Figueres to see the Dali museum, it is worth remembering it is closed on Mondays.

Peter
www.the-languedoc-page.com

jonesie Apr 8th, 2005 08:18 AM

Thanks for all of your help!!!
OK, I think I have refined the itinereray a bit more, and I would love some additional info!
Day 1 - drive into France, see the Chateaus at Peyrepertuse and Queribus;
Has anyone stayed at Trois Mongettes (between Narbonne and Lagrasse) or Guillot Jean Hugues in Lagrasse? What else could we fit on this day?
Day 2 - Possibly visit Carcassonne, would love to visit some wineries (not sure how to do this, are there maps available?, and see some Markets if possible (this will be a Friday).
Day 3 - head back towards Girona, possibly stop in Colliure on the way.
Day 4 - explore the Baix Empordia area, maybe go up to Empuries. Head back to Barcelona at night.

How does that sound? Any advice-- sights/hotels/restaurants not already mentioned?

mprrh-- where is Tautavel Man? What is there? I have not been able to dig anything up on that!

Thanks Again,
Jonesie

mpprh Apr 8th, 2005 10:12 PM

Hi

Tautavel is about 30km from Perpignan. It is the site of discovery of humanoid remains from 450,000 years ago. There is a museum nearby. ( http://www.languedoc-france.info/030602_tautavel.htm ).

I found Empuria Brava very interesting, too ( http://www.cbrava.com/empuries/empuries.uk.htm ).

It is just worth noting that you need to schedule visits :

Coast side (Collioure, Cadaques, Port Legat, Empuria Brava) or

Inland (Girona, Perpignan, Tautavel, Narbonne)

The roads between the two routes are poor.

Peter
www.the-languedoc-page.com