Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

language of Sixt car rental agreement in france

Jul 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Will the car rental agreement we sign in Avignon TGV station be available in English?
merci
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
ira

Hi G,

Have you asked Sixt?
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM

The only contract valid in France is in French. Do you suspect Sixt of putting nasty traps in the contract even though they are a reputable European renter?
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM

I haven't rented from Sixt, but every rental contract I've ever signed in France was in French. As kerouac points out it would be invalid if it weren't. The better question to ask if you can't read French is whether or not there will be an English speaker at the rental office who can explain something to you if you need it.
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I'm actually asking for a friend who did contact Sixt and they said he would have to call the Avignon company directly to find out the answer. This is his first trip to France and he speaks no French so he's a bit nervous. I told him I have rented a car many times and have never had trouble...but I've never used Sixt. I just thought maybe someone who had rented from them would remember if it were in English.
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM

They are not in English, but they are standard, just like any normal rental contract in the world.
Jul 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Would a car rental agreement you signed in the US (or the UK) be in French?
Jul 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Do you actually read car rental contracts before you sign them?
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

good point Carlux. actually i don't sign the car rental agreements....or mortgage contracts, credit card contracts, etc. etc. now i'm thinking this was a really stupid question. thanks for the replies.
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM

oh, it wasn't really stupid, after all, English has gotten to be sort of a standard second language in many places with a lot of visitors from all places, so it is possible some places would have a contract in the local language and English. I'll admit I've never seen such a thing with car rental agencies, though, or any legal contract in France now that I think of it. I do read contracts, or at least skim them fairly well, and I've never seen one in English at a French car rental company.
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM

I rented a car from Sixt in Toulouse in 2005. I checked my old records and see the contract is in both French and English on the front side but the conditions of the contract (13 articles) are listed on the reverse side in French only.

In any case, Sixt is a good reliable company and your friend should have no problems.
Jul 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM
ira

Hi G,

>they said he would have to call the Avignon company directly..... he speaks no French...<

Datsa no problem.

If it is really important, he can call the company and say slowly and clearly, "Hello. Do you speak English, please"?

If they say "no", that's it.

Who knows? She might say "yes".
Jul 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Even if an English translation of a contract exists, only the French version has any legal validity. So unless you are able to appreciate the quality of the translation (we are talking about a German rental company, by the way), you have to sign the contract on faith.
Jul 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM

"Would a car rental agreement you signed in the US (or the UK) be in French?"

There is no reason a contract signed in England needs to be in English: it's a fundamental principle of English contract law that any provable agreement constitutes a contract – even if (especially if) written in Ancient Greek.

I find it hard to believe France prevents its businesses from contracting with foreigners in their customers' own language.

Actually ,maybe I don't. The stunning insularity of France –and especially French institutions– never ceases to gobsmack the rest of Europe.
Jul 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Well, you can continue to be gobsmacked, and believe me, I really enjoy playing this to the hilt with my Arab boss who doesn't seem to realize that he can't do everything the same way he did it in the Gulf region. And there is no way he is going to get me to sign anything in Arabic.