Search

Itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help

We are sketching outlines for a trip planned for the 24th of June. All travel will be by car. Here's what we have so far:

Day 1: Arrive 7:30 am. (Saturday)
Cruise /Tour Rhine.Stay in Bacharach.
Day 2: Tour Rhine, drive to Freiburg.
Day 3: Tour Black Forest.
Day 4: Drive to Fuessen or Garmisch.
Day 5: Tour castles, Wieskirche.
Day 6: Tour Garmisch, Mittenwald.
Day 7: Drive to Salzburg.
Day 8: Tour Salzburg.
Day 9: Tour Salzburg area.
Day 10: Drive to Munich.
Day 11: Tour Munich, Dachau.
Day 12: Drive to Rothenburg via Dinkelsbuhl.
Day 13: Rothenburg.
Day 14: Drive to Frankfurt, via Wurzburg.
Day 15: Depart 10:00 am.

This is our first trip to Germany and we would appreciate comments,suggestions and things "not to miss" when going from point A to B. Our primary interest is taking in the scenery and some castles as opposed to shopping and musuems. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 02:35 PM
rex

Looks good to me. You risk being tired and grumpy on day one; that's a risk with any itinerary.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 02:39 PM

On way from Bacharach to Freiburg, try to see Burg Eltz, near Cochem (on the Mosel).
Personally, I wasn't impressed with the Black Forest.
Try to get over to Hallstadt, near Salzburg if you can.
In Rothenburg, try to catch the "night watchman's tour", in English at 8pm or 9pm (you need to find out time for sure...a walking history tour that takes about 45 min.
In Wuerzburg, try to tour the "Residenz" (which is NOT the cool building up on the hill over the river.
Email me if you have any other question.
[email protected]
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:34 PM

I think your itinerary is MUCH too ambitious. You really won't have much time to see places. Remember, for example, to drive from the Black Forest (which I would skip) to Fuessen or Garmisch will take the better part of a day. You won't have time to visit places like Meersburg, Lindau en route.

Have you ooked your airline yet? If not, check out an open jaw, with either Frankfurt - Munich as bookeneds, or Frankfurt - Zuerich, dropping your car off in Lindau and taking the train from there to Zuerich to avoid the steep drop-off charges.

In either case, I would go Frankfurt, up the Rhein to perhaps Koblenz and Cochem on the Mosel. From there drive to Rothenburg (perhaps visiting Speyer and Heidelberg en route). From Rothenburg drive to Fuessen, stopping there a few days and taking day trips to Garmisch, Wieskirche. Then continue to Salzburg via Bad Toelz. From Salzburg go to Munich and home, or go Innsbruck, Lindau, Zuerich. Again,spend some time in Salzburg and visit Hallstatt, Berchtesgaden.

If that appeals to you, let me know and I'll give you a more detailed routing.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 06:39 PM

It's been quite a few years since I have traveled in this neck of the woods in Germany, but just reading your itinerary, and glancing at the map, makes me tired. Too many places in too short a time, and not enough time allotted to enjoy getting between them.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 07:49 PM

The way I read your itinerary -

2 nights Rhine Gorge
2 nights Black Forest
3 nights Garmisch area
3 nights Salzburg
2 nights Munich
2 nights Rothenburg
1 night Frankfurt

Looks like an outstanding itinerary to me. Only one one-nighter for departure night - all others 2 or 3 nights in same location. What's not to like? I have made the drive from the Black Forest to the Garmisch area many times and you will have plenty of time to visit Meersburg for lunch and a nice walk-thru the Altstadt. Depending on where you start from in the Black Forest - Meersburg is about half way and a nice respite.

Trying to visit Burg Eltz from Bacharach when you are on your way south would cost you a minimum of three hours travel time. While it is worthy of a visit I wouldn't backtrack to the Mosel on a day I was planning a drive to the Black Forest. Trying to work it in with only a day and a half in the Rhine area might not be a smart move. Stick to the Rhine. Plenty of castles along the Rhine Gorge to keep you busy.

Personally, I don't understand the negative comments about the Black Forest. Two nights in the Schwarzwald is an excellent idea and shows me that you knew what you were doing when you put your trip together. If it were my choice I would choose the Füssen area over Garmisch and would opt for three days in the Berchtesgaden area (instead of Salzburg) and take a day trip to Salzburg. But if someone asked me if I would use your itinerary if given the chance tomorrow - you bet I would. And I see nothing ambitious about your trip as you have laid it out. Check my website for several similiar itineraries and recent trip reports which cover the territory you wish to visit... Ben - - Ben's Bauernhof (www.bensbauernhof.com)
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:32 AM

Just one Fly's opinion, but we didn't think Rothenburg was worth two nights. It is pretty and nicely done and very much worth seeing, but it is a confection maintained for tourists. Not much "meat" there. I'd spend more time in Munich or Wuerzburg.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. While I agree that the itinerary may sound ambitious to some, I know that we're the type that will be first at breakfast and then on the road. Hopefully, this won't be our last trip to the area and we can discover areas to spend more time at in the future.

Ben, your site is great and I have referred to it often. I am curious as to why you would recommend Berchtesgaden in lieu of Salzburg. My wife wants to take the SOM tour and I've read that the countryside around Salzburg is outstanding. Can you better take in these things from Berchtesgaden? What's the reason for your preference? And finally, what are the "can't miss" places in the Salzburg / Berchtesgaden area with this timeframe?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:50 AM

Hi James - didn't mean to mislead you with my preference for Berchtesgaden area over Salzburg. It's just a personal preference. Salzburg is a wonderful city but I'm not a big city person. Berchtesgaden is just a half an hour drive from Salzburg and the countryside is basically the same - rolling green hills and magnificent mountains. Some folks love the Sound of Music tour (some don't) and I'm sure your family will enjoy it if it already appeals to your wife. I enjoy staying at any of the hundreds of Bauernhöfe and Zimmer Frei in and around Berchtesgaden, Ramsau, Maria Gern, etc instead of a hotel in downtown Salzburg. As a first time visitor you might want to visit the Königssee, the Eagle's Nest, the Salt Mine, Maria Gern and Ramsau which would be easier to do from Berchtesgaden. If you plan to visit Hallstatt and/or spend time around the lakes in that area you might be better off doing it from Salzburg. I usually travel on a tight budget and it's much easier to stay within my budget by overnighting, eating and shopping in the smaller villages. That's one of the reasons I also enjoy the Black Forest. I'm sure you and your family will discover their own 'comfort level' during your trip. You have 7 months to research and enjoy your planning. Go to the website of each location you hope to visit and select the sights and activities you think your family might enjoy while you are there. Most cities and villages have their own website online and you can usually access them by typing in the name of the town with the country identifier - (.de for Germany and .at for Austria) - i.e. (www.rothenburg.de) or just search via Google. Good luck and have a safe, enjoyable journey. And tell us all about your adventure when you return... Ben