Landscape photography in Scotland

Old Apr 14th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Landscape photography in Scotland

Landscape photographer looking for shooting opportunities in Scotland; Isle of Skye and/or other locations? Best time of year? Need some help. Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 09:58 AM

You won't have any problems -- it is one of the most photogenic places on earth. There are gobsmacking photo opportunities in every corner of the country.

What sort of help are you looking for? You just need to have a camera. There is no best time of year -- but in general the days are longer and the weather marginally better between April and October. The days are very long from mid May through mid July and VERY long in mid/late June.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 10:05 AM

My opinions only...

Best time of year: Autumn. Great light and low sun angles, autumn colo(u)r everywhere, empty roads.

Where: Where not? Skye is lovely, but so's the whole country. Don't be blinded by all the publicity Skye receives; it's just one of many terrific areas. The Highlands are iconic, but there's terrific landscape scenery in the central belt, Borders, along the Angus, Fife and East Lothian coasts in the east. Include people/buildings/villages in the landscapes for scale and to tell the story, and not just castles. Welcome bad weather - the landscape will go through mood changes faster than you can keep up. Don't ignore the man-made, the Victorian and the modern: the Glenfinnan viaduct, Forth rail bridge, Falkirk Wheel.

Like I say, that's me. What are your preferences? C'mon, give us some help here.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, janisj and Gardyloo! Much good info! Just looking for a jumping off point. Sounds like I can't make a bad choice! I will be flying from Hartford, CT; what is the recommended airport, Glascow, Edinburgh? Any tips on car rental, hotels?
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 06:52 PM

Which airport? Either one depending on where you're headed and where you're coming from ( yes, I know it's Hartford but don't think they offer international routes).

As to hotels, that again depends on where you're going. I haven't rented a car in several years so will leave that to others, but it seems to me you need to do a bit more planning and need to come up with an itinerary before we can provide more information. Another factor is when exactly you plan on coming. As Gardyloo said, we need some help here.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 07:04 PM

>>you need to do a bit more planning and need to come up with an itinerary before we can provide more information. <RED>g</RED>ow or Edinburgh makes no difference . . .