Garmisch to Innsbruck by train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be 2 adults and 2 children of 11 years and 10 years. Our plans are finally done.

We will be in Austria & then in Germany (Garmisch) in May 2012.

We would like to do a day trip to Innsbruck. Kindly advise the cheapest way of reaching Innsbruck. I understand there is a Lander ticket which can be used till Mittenwald. Can I buy Einfach-Raus ticket in advance and use it in combination with the Lander ticket or will it be cheaper for four of us to just buy the regular ticket and go to Innsbruck and return. On Dbahn website the cost is Euro30.20 for each sector.

From Innsbruck after a short sightseeing of the city, we would like to go to Wattens to see the Swarovski Museum? How does one go to Wattens and return back to Innsbruck using public transport?

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 03:01 AM
J62

From Innsbruck to Swarovski you can either take train to Fritzens-Wattens across the river, then walk about 1/2 mile, or take bus 4125, which I believe stops right near the factory.

Hopefully our resident fodors Garmisch expert swandav will chime in. He/She is a Garmisch public transportation guru.

For this trip I'd consider renting a car for the day just for the ease and flexibility.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks J62. Unfortunately we do not drive. Hence, heavily dependent on public transport. Any idea on the must sees in Innsbruck besides Ambrass Castle and the Golden Dome. Any advice on where we can get good Tiroler Speck and prosciutto in Innsbruck to take back home. Not something too pricy. What is proscuitto? I assume Speck is bacon? or is it ham?

Kind regards,
Sherazade
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM

A regular ticket on the direct train to Innsbruck will take a bit over one hour and cost 30.20€ total for the 4 of you. Buy it at the Garmisch station. Check your dates on your own here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

A car would no doubt be a good deal more than 30€.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM

Prosciutto is Parma ham. From Parma, Italy.
There is no reason to buy it in Innsbruck.
You get it at any supermarkt and most metzgerei (butcher) in Garmisch.
Speck is bacon, Schinken is ham.
So in German you would say Parma Schinken or the original Italian word prosciutto.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 09:25 PM

Hi SKPKCP11,

Here is a link to the museum in Wattens, which gives information about getting to the museum:

http://kristallwelten.swarovski.com/...tting_here.php

You see that they offer a shuttle from Innsbruck to the museum; the shuttle runs every two hours from 9 am until 5 pm. The link provides a pdf of the exact timetable. The first stop of the shuttle is right at the train station. Looks like the ride takes 27 minutes. The ticket (including admission to the museum) is 19.50 for adults and free for childen up to 15 years old.

I think I would take the 10.04 train from Garmisch, which gets into Innsbruck at 11.19. Stroll around Innsbruck, have lunch, then catch the 13.00 or 15.00 shuttle to the museum. The last shuttle from the museum back to Innsbruck leaves at 17.30.

It's so easy -- why waste your money and pollute the air by renting a car??

Have fun!

s
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM

oh, btw, the entrance fee for the museum is 11 Euro per person, so the cost of the shuttle, then, is 8.50 for the round-trip.

s
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Dear SKPKCP11

I have read today with interest, your several questions over last few months. As I am travelling with wife and 2 kids (aged 4.5 and 9 yrs), this seems very interesting and common, as I am in Vienna for 3 nights and then 3 days in Salzburg.

May I request you to kindly post your final itinerary with the places you are visiting and site seeing etc etc..... It would be very very helpful for me and others who plan a similar trip

Cheers
Salil
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Dear SKPKCP

Kindly advise with your complete itinerary as I wish to use most of it for our upcoming trip

Cheers
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav2000. Much appreciate the clarity. Is the Partnachklamm in Garmisch worht it especially with kids?

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:52 PM

The last (and only) time I visited the Partnachklamm I was glad it was early in the day and that I did not drink before entering. As I remember, it was a little dangerous. If your children are independent (sometimes don't mind well) it might not be a good idea. If the weather is OK take a short trip to Mittenwald instead or try the (expensive) trip up the Zugspitz-
Have a good trip...
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Hi again,

Yes, I do think so. There are a lot of children that do the walk, and they don't seem to have any troubles with it. It's only about 45 minutes, as best I can recall.

I did the walk last year doing the evening torch-light guided tour in wintertime -- it was excellent and stunning and well worthwhile.

Have fun!

s
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Dear SKPKCP11

I have read today with interest, your several questions over last few months. As I am travelling with wife and 2 kids (aged 4.5 and 9 yrs), this seems very interesting and common, as I am in Vienna for 3 nights and then 3 days in Salzburg.

May I request you to kindly post your day wise itinerary for Austira with the places you are visiting and site seeing etc etc..... It would be very very helpful for me and others who plan a similar trip

Cheers
Salil
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the clarity. Last year we had done Zugspitze & the castle from Garmisch and this year we will be again at Garmisch but would like to do something different. Had thought of clubbing Mittenwald with Innsbruck since it is on the same line. Can we buy Innsbruck ticket and take a 1 hr stop at Mittenwald and then continue to Innsbruck by train. Please advise. We will be in Garmisch for 3 days and thought of the following :
1 day to Mittenwald/Innsbruck/Wattens
1 day to Linderhof
1 day to Ettal & Oberammergau
and Partnachklam if it is safe walk as we are not into trekking. Does the walk have railings and is it paved? Swandav2000 - your views please.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM

Hi again,

I believe you'll be able to make a one-hour stop in Mittenwald with your ticket to Innsbruck. I always buy the heavily-discounted advance-purchase train tickets, and those are always tied to a specific train at a specific time -- so I've never done what you propose and don't have specific experience doing it. But I don't see why you couldn't do it since you aren't buying a train-specific ticket.

Just tell the agent that you want to travel to Innsbruck, but that you want to take a break in Mittenwald. S/he'll make sure you have the right ticket.

Yes, your plan sounds fine.

As I said, the walk up Partnachklamm is fine. I did it at night in the wintertime, when the path was icy and slippery, and really it was fine. As I recall, there are railings when it is steep or difficult.

Have fun in GaP!!

s
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 09:48 PM

Dear SKPKCP11

It seems you dont want to share the itinerary, though you have asked all the posters for all information for several months.

This doesnt look very appropriate.

Salil
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Dear Salilbawa,

I have reverted to you with our itinerary for Vienna in a separate post.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11