Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Land in Dublin - where to stay outside of Dublin first two nights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/land-in-dublin-where-to-stay-outside-of-dublin-first-two-nights-969355/)

nycgirl1 Mar 5th, 2013 06:15 PM

Land in Dublin - where to stay outside of Dublin first two nights?

we land in Dublin around 3pm on a Saturday in early May and are having a difficult time deciding where to stay the first two nights (we're coming from a week in Spain, so no jet leg to contend with and can drive a short bit).

We'd planned to stay 2 nights in Dublin and then make our way to Kilkenny for 2 nights before heading west, but Dublin accommodation options aren't looking great at this point (cost, availability, or too loud of a location since we'll have 2 young children with us). My husband and I have both been to Dublin a few times before so won't be heartbroken to skip the city this visit.

If you were to land and head out of town a bit and stay, where would you go? I'd love to visit Powerscourt but am really open to a locale outside of Dublin that provides good day trip options before heading to Kilkenny.

(side note: the drive from Dublin to Kilkenny straight off would be too much, right? Or should we just do that and make base camp in Kilkeeny for 4 nights instead of 2?)

Thanks!!

longhorn55 Mar 5th, 2013 06:41 PM

We've been to Dublin twice and each time we stayed in Malahide. There are plenty of B&Bs there (with free parking) and it's only about 15 minutes from the airport. We used Malahide as a base for visiting Dublin AND making day trips. You could take the bus or DART from Malahide to Dublin if you want to see the city. It's also convenient for day trips to Newgrange, Trim or even Glendalough. Malahide is a pleasant seaside town with a castle. Although we did not tour the castle, we did walk the grounds and I remember there was a children's playground there.

Lawchick Mar 6th, 2013 12:20 AM

Howth might be nice. Beside the sea. Good restaurants. Dart (light rail).

When are you going to Dublin? there usually isn't a problem with accommodation in the city at the moment.

Tony2phones Mar 6th, 2013 02:43 AM

Get off the flight out of the terminal onto the Belfast Bus for a couple of days. Kilkenny is as far as I recommend (Direct) off a redeye. Without knowing your dates (guessing the end of May so Bank holiday busy/pricey) and Itinerary as a whole its difficult to give best measure but leaving Dublin to the end might be an option or reversing your trip?? (all guess work)

allisonm Mar 7th, 2013 08:53 AM

Malahide is a nice option. You could also look into Dun Laoghaire to the south. It's a good location for a trip into Wicklow or Dublin.

nycgirl1 Mar 7th, 2013 09:07 AM

Thanks, all - I think we've settled on Bray for that first night. Easy visit to Powerscourt the next day and relatively on the way to Kilkenny without a ton of driving after landing at 3pm.

(bad idea?)

Tony2phones Mar 7th, 2013 10:12 AM

I like Bray..For Accommodation the Esplanade is a typical Victorian hotel slightly dated but Clean, great staff an a good breakfast, front rooms overlook the beach, free parking on the road outside and handy for a quick walk up Bray Head after (or before breakfast) The Royal Hotel is nice enough but don't get a room above the swimming pool because the aircon crackles all night. The Martello would also be on the 3spot short list mid week has it's own nightclub so maybe nit best at weekends.

Tourism_Ireland Mar 15th, 2013 08:28 AM

Bray is a good idea :) The promenade is lovely, especially on a sunny day! And if you have time before you head to Powerscourt's Gardens, check out the National Sealife Centre, a magnet for children and equally as interesting for adults.