Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Land Brussels 8:25am, what time train reservation for Paris?

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:40 AM
meg

Thanks for all the responses to my previous question about making reservations for the train from Brussels to Paris. It looks like I definitely need to do that ASAP.

So, how much time should I allow between landing at Brussels, clearing customs, riding airport train to Midi, etc? Two hours? Three hours?

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Louis

Baggage pick-up + walk to train at airport = 30 mins.
Wait for next train at airport, worst case = 20 mins
Airport to Bruxelles Midi = 25 mins
Walk to main hall at Midi to pick-up your TGV ticket. including wait in line = 15 mins.

Total = 90 minutes. Let's say 2 hours to be safe.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Rex

I would just wait until you ge tthere. Then simply say "next train to Paris, please". It will probably be a much shorter wait than you ever have to make at the airport, whether you have a reservation in advance or not.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
BTilke

I would pick 2.5 to 3 hours just to be safe...in case, for example, your flight is delayed. Also, I would build a little more time into the schedule. I took the train to and from the Brussels airport last week and on the way in, the ride took 45 minutes; on the way back nearly 40--there is construction going on along the train route and about two thirds of the way to the airport the train just sat for a while.
Brussels can sometimes be slow in getting your luggage to you, although they're better than they used to be.
Now you may be lucky and everything proceeds smoothly. and you're stuck waiting at the train station for a bit...but it's not so bad, browse the chocolate or magazine shop, have a coffee, and the time will pass fairly quickly. Better than being stressed out about missing your train.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Ben Haines

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable, which shows your trains, which run from the airport every 20 minutes and cover 17 kilometers to Brussels Midi station. Trains leave Brussels Midi at 1040, 1110 (not Saturday or Sunday), 1140, 1240, and 1310 (not Saturday or Sunday), and take 85 minutes to Paris. As you imply, all seats are reservable.

Rex thinks you can book at the station in the airport, and not book ahead: he may well be right. Please can you tell us your date of arrival ?

Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Rex

I didn't mean to imply that actually, Ben - - but now that you mention it, I suspect that it is true. I meant to reserve and ticket at Brussels Midi. Perhaps unnecessary. Maybe you can do it all seamlessly at the airport.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:22 PM
BTilke

As of Sunday, when I came back from Malta, there was a sign on the ticket booth at the airport that they could only sell tickets for destinations in Belgium. Meg, please check the www.thalys.com web site for lots of helpful info (in English) on the Thalys high speed trains to Paris.
BTilke (Brussels)

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:30 PM
meg

Thanks for all your replies.

I arrive at 8:25am on Friday, June 14th.

Thalys.com does not allow you to buy on-line from the US. Their website says: "In general, tickets are sold from three months before the Thalys departure date, up until a few minutes before departure, to allow you time to board." Website also says they have 25 direct trains to Paris each day.

Given that info, I think now I'm leaning more toward Rex's suggestion to just walk up to the ticket counter and say "next train to Paris." I'm traveling alone and with only one small carry on bag.

What do you think?

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:56 PM
BTilke

In that case, yes, you really don't have an alternative. You shouldn't have any problems. Although the cheapest "mini" ticket will be sold out, I'm sure, you may still have a shot at getting a "loisirs" (tourist) ticket. The people at the ticket desks in the Gare du Midi speak English, FYI. When you go into the international service section, go to one of the ticket booths marked for immediate departure (they are usually at the far right hand side of the international ticket section). With one carry-on, you shouldn't have any problems. Also, note you can buy a Paris metro ticket on board the Thalys (in the bar car). That will save you waiting in line at the Gare du Nord metro station (lines 4 and 5 stop there; 4 is easier to reach. you just go down the escalator and you'll see it--you have to walk a bit to reach line #5).
And as I remind everyone taking the Thalys or other train from Brussels Gare du Midi, please make sure you are seated before the train pulls out. It's quite bumpy at the start and easy to fall over. I see it happen almost every time.

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Lew

Miss the train and spend the night in Bruxxeles. Underated city. Great moules y frites and gauffers, great chocolate, great cultural activities, friendly folks and interesting history.

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:30 AM
up

worth re-upping