LAMALOU LES BAINS OR OTHER SPA IN S. FRANCE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone that participates in this forum, it's giving back to all of us travellers that are blessed enough to be able to see the world! As our trip comes nearer, it gets so exciting. We leave on Sept. 25th, will get to Montpellier on the 26th then a quick zip over to Ste. Guilieme le Desert where we will be based for 11 days. We would like to do a one day spa trip and have heard of Lamalou les Bains which is 50 m. W of Montpellier. Would anyone have any comments about this place or any suggestions for 4 lively ladies in their 50's? Thanks once again. I promise I'll post a trip report when I return!! We're all from Western Canada and two of the group have travelled internationally and two haven't (me being one of them). i've only gone throughout Canada, Caribbean, U.S. and Hawaii so this is a huge experience for me. I've also never been away from my husband for more than a week so that should prove interesting as well (especially for him - as he doesn't cook so it's weiners/beans for him and delightful french food for me!)
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Lamalou-les-Bains is a pretty typical French spa and would be a fun trip for you, though the town is rather uninspiring. I would go to their website if they have one in advance, however, and make sure there are treatments available to walk-ins. Most French spas offer the majority of their treatments to "patients" with "prescriptions," so if you want a massage or facial or something special (other than soaking nithe springs), you'd need to visit a French doctor first. Other than that, I'm sure you'll have a nice day, and you can drive as well to the interesting town of Olargues, with its microclimate that enables tropical foliage to bloom there.

There's another, better spa at Alet, but I suspect that's too far for you.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

How far would Alet be from Ste. Guilieme
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM

It's St-Guilhem (if you're researching, helps to get the spelling right).

It's twice as far. Here's a list you might want to look at, to see what's nearby.

http://www.languedoc-france.info/list_springs.htm

But really, you'll have fun at Lamalou; the whole French spa experience is definitely worthwhile.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe the mud baths at Dax?
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Dax is quite a distance from Montpellier !
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It's all a question of motivation.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM

As long as the motivation isn't muddy....
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM

You don't have to go as far as Dax for mudbaths (that's a loooongg haul). There's someplace in the woods not far frm Mazamet where I once went to mud baths. They had other treatments, too. Unfortunately, I forget the name of the place. We just happened on it, and I'm a sucker for spas.

To the OP: since you'll be in the neighborhood, if you like oysters, do not miss going to Bouziques and having a plateful by the shore.